Min Jiang at the Royal Garden Hotel

Chinese, Dim Sum

SquareMeal Review of Min Jiang at the Royal Garden Hotel

It’s hard to talk about Min Jiang without mentioning the view: 10 floors up on the fringes of Hyde Park, it’s a mesmerising prospect. Now fast approaching its 10th birthday, this venue has become one of London’s slickest operators, a top-end Chinese decked out with mirrored panels, oriental screens and classical pottery, dealing in scrubbed-up but authentic Szechuan and Cantonese cuisine. The star of the show – and one of our guiltiest treats in the capital – is the Beijing duck, presented in three servings. No doctor is going to recommend the crispy skin dipped in fine sugar but, boy, is it good – likewise the traditional pancake wraps, lettuce parcels and alternatives such as salted vegetable soup with duck and tofu. Elsewhere, baskets of steamed dim sum are a beauty to behold, while rib-eye in a sticky black pepper sauce is sweet and soothing. To drink, put your trust in the sommelier’s pick from an Old World-leaning wine list.

Good to know about Min Jiang at the Royal Garden Hotel

Chinese, Dim Sum
Big and bold, Buzzy, Formal, Fun, Glamorous, Quiet conversation, Traditional, Widely spaced tables
Afternoon eating

Mon-Sun 12N-3pm 6-10.30pm

Reviews of Min Jiang at the Royal Garden Hotel

Amazing Chinese Food!
25 June 2017
Amazing experience at Min Jiang! Personally not a huge Chinese cuisine fan, however, every dish was delicious! The view from the restaurant also added to the experience. Wonderful service and hospitality! Great restaurant to take clients, enjoy a business related lunch/ or for a special occasion.

Mr. Minesh B

Business Lunch
05 April 2016
Detox set menu was very limited and overpriced at £30/person....3 dimsum + fish!

Mr. Kevin R

an impressIve chinese meal in London
11 September 2013
I ate at the restaurant for the first time last night. i have eaten at most of the top end Chinese restaurants in London and this is as good as the best. We started off with ribs and dim sum and they were perfect. We then had the duck and it was the best i had eaten in London, and it matched the best I have had in Hong Kong and Singapore. The service waas impeccable. However the strangest experience revolved around a final glass each of a good house wine that we had defined and ordered at the end of the meal as the bottle we had was drunk. A glass each of Malbec was duly served up and I told the waiter I was disappointed that this had been elected as their grape choice . The sommelier duly appeared and told me that I obviously didn't have a great taste in wine as i had ordered a bottle of montepulciano ; the inference being that anyone who chooses this wine doesn't know wines.I was amazed! I explained that as this wine was £78 and a bottle of '86 Mouton Rothschilds was £2,800 , it seemed that the montepulciano was better value! (He didn't get the irony or the humour) He got really upset when I said that i had never ben offered a glass of Malbec as first choice second wine before, ..anyway this went on and eventually we got a glass of pinot noir each that was good. Other than this weird experience I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is willing to pay top dollar for the best chinese food in London

Mr. Matthew E

11 September 2013
It really is the view which makes this place: the greenery of Hyde Park in the foreground and all London's spires and shards in the background. The decor is modern and plush with a nice balance of chinoiserie. Dim sum and chilli crab made a contrasting and very tasty pair of starters (with the crab minus the chilli as the waitress suggested). The “signature dish” of Beijing Duck was nicely cooked with micro-thin pancakes and an addition of garlic sauce as well as the usual plum sauce. But try as it did it could not escape a feeling of being a fancier version of the standard dish. Really I thought the Min Jiang ought to be aiming for something in a different league. We thought we would experiment with the dessert: Pear and Snow Ear. In fact it seemed to be 10% pear and 90% snow ear (a white fungus and for the untutored a bit like eating softened plastic sheeting). It is apparently very authentic. Unfortunately for our Western palates our experiment was not a success. You live and learn. We'll come back though for the views and to try something different.

Food with a view
25 April 2013
Having always been a largely ground-floor and subterranean diner was poor preparation for today's lunch, which was the highest I've yet had in London. I need to do this more often. Great views of Hyde Park, a pleasant airy room (in an unprepossessing building), crisp linen and being the only bloke on a table of four was a cracking start to (yet another) working lunch. I'm a fan of Chinese food, but have always been a bit suspect of “posh” Chinese restaurants, as most of my experiences have been along the lines of “same grub as the cheaper place down the road but at twice the price”. Obviously, there have been exceptions to this, but Min Jiang really stands out. Everything we had was better or bigger or different to anything similar I've had before. We started with a selection of dim sum, grilled dumplings and sticky tofu with honey & sesame (oh that's truly special), followed by the wood roast duck. Your veggie correspondent felt it was incumbent on him to park what few principles he has ever had and try the duck. Glad he did – very nice, but not enough to set him back on the protein path any time soon. Never mind, the chorus of satisfied noises from the rest of the table was enough to prove that they were more than enjoying it. Then there was a main course. No, really. We had more – tofu with morels in black bean sauce, egg fried rice with edamame, noodles, a chicken dish (OK, I'd stopped concentrating) and the duck came back for a second serving, diced on a teeny lettuce “wrap”. Service – cracking: not to intrusive, but always there. Wine – that's a hell of a list, with some pricey numbers on there, but worth an exploratory journey. All of which makes me realise that there's more to Chinese food in London than Gerrard Street, and I should certainly be dining up as well as out more often.

Mr. Tim Z

25 January 2013
For a change a hotel restaurant which benefits from its location with fabulous views (top floor overlooking Kensington Gardens). Great food with the duck being a must have and highlight (check you might have to pre-order) but try out the rest of the menu which is very good as well

Ms/Mrs. Amy M

23 August 2012
I was incredibly disappointed with this restaurant. The place itself is beautiful with spectacular views, which are a treat, but the rest was not enough to compensate. It started well with the veggie spring rolls, which were tasty, not oily and nice & crispy. However, the rest of the meal went downhill. They brought the second starter entirely separately and then rushed out one of our mains whilst we were still eating it. I did ask for it to be taken back as it felt like we were suddenly being rushed. The rest of the meal was tepid and mediocre. Right down to the overcooked chilli broccoli. Such a shame as I had such high expectations. For the extremely high price per head (without alcohol) I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Mr. Patrick B

03 June 2012
This is a truely special restaurant – the food and the views are great and it is rare that places offering such views to really deliver on the culinary front. What is also great, is that the service is truely taught about the high-end Chinese cooking, so one can learn a thing or two The attention to detail is quite amazing, the meats are sources with an incredible dedication. Booking however is a must.

Ms/Mrs. Anoja N

26 July 2011
Food was good, staff could however be a bit more attentive? NIce drinks and great view!

Ms/Mrs. Joanne S

14 April 2010
Love Ming Jiang. Been several times and the amazing view over Hyde Park makes the bill worth it. It feels like a very special restaurant but make sure you ask for a window table if you can. Excellent duck, slightly limited selection of food but everything the prepare is done well. Great selection of Chinese teas. Good service.

Other restaurants near Min Jiang at the Royal Garden Hotel