Jom Makan

Malaysian

Call Jom Makan to make a booking on:

About Jom Makan

This mid-market canteen on Trafalgar Square is many diners’ first experience of Malaysian cuisine, so it’s a shame that the mainstay is a hit-&-miss version of beef rendang. Jom Makan may be ‘nothing to write home about’, but readers do appreciate the value for money, & the ‘refreshingly quiet’ dining room – although staff have a tendency to ‘look confused & linger in corners’. Char-grilled chicken or beef satay & gado gado salad make good starters, then share the mixed curry platter; otherwise try stir-fried noodles, classic nasi goreng (rice with chilli, chicken & prawns) or nasi lemak embellished with crispy fried anchovies & peanuts. Tiger or Asahi beer makes a sensible accompaniment, with rose-flavoured Malaysian soft drinks for the abstainers. Fine, but there’s ‘room for improvement’.

Good to know about Jom Makan

Malaysian

Location for Jom Makan

5-7 Pall Mall East, London, SW1Y 5BA

Opening Times of Jom Makan

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Sun -10pm)

Reviews of Jom Makan

07 December 2010

Unalike Chinese and Thai, Malaysian food in London is a bit hit-and-miss and Jom Makan, whilst a great idea, teeters on the edge of ‘Miss’. The starters are ok, they are varied and tasty enough, but in my opinion a good Malaysian restaurant should be able to produce an excellent beef rendang and this is where I was left utterly disappointed. The beef was stringy and very dry (even more dry than a rendang should be) and any ounce of sauce was watery and unpleasant. I also find it annoying that every dish needs to be garnished with cucumbers or cherry tomatoes, which aren't quite right as a garnish at the best of times. The head Chef, bizarrely, was Austrian/German when we visited… Something I found to be quite bizarre as most of the best Asian/Oriental restaurants in town, have Chefs that come from a similar background of that of the restaurant itself. Service, whilst polite, is a tad erratic with staff looking a bit confused and lingering in corners. I wouldn't feel the need to come here again and so the hunt for truly great Malaysian food in London continues!

06 December 2010

Fab. I love Malaysian food, and this was just what I was longing for. Fast but very tasty food. I let the waitress know that I was pushed for time, and my order came through really quickly and without compromise on the taste. Thank you Jom Makan.

26 October 2010

This is for the Westfield branch! Two of us stopped by after shopping needing some good food and a nice experience. We both ordered different noodle dishes that looked nearly exactly the same served on cheap looking plates with no hint of flair whatsoever! We had some starters that were deep fried, the samosas looked freezer burnt on the edges, the noodle dishes were dry, dull and too spicy (probably to try and add interest), the chicken in my noodle dish was weird and unrecognisable! On the plus side the tap water and service were ok! What a waste of money!!!

27 September 2010

I ate at the Westfield branch of Jom Makan. This is one of the worst Malaysian restaurants I have eaten in. I should know what Malaysian food tastes like as I am Malaysian. If Jom Makan were in Malaysia, the restaurant would be closed in a day as no Malaysian would eat the travesty that is being passed off as Malaysian cuisine. If Square Meal had a rating that said, TRULY AWFUL, I would tick that box.

05 July 2010

I'm going to cut them a bit of slack here, apparently management has just changed. Because of that they don't have a liquor licence yet, so you can't have a drink with your meal – they quite happily told us we could bring our own, but didn't know where the closest place to buy anything from was (and neither did we). They are also obviously going to change the menu, as a few dishes had been crossed out, which were of course, the one's we really wanted. Overall the food is ok, nothing to write home about but it is pretty good value for money.

Other restaurants near Jom Makan

You are requesting to book Jom Makan for people on at