SquareMeal Review of Il Baretto

Eating out isn’t always about wanting to experiment and try all sorts of wacky new flavour combinations. Sometimes you just want food that you know you’re going to enjoy, a nice bottle of wine, and a pleasant atmosphere; this is exactly what Marylebone’s Il Baretto is about, even if it doesn’t come cheaply. The food isn’t exactly ground-breaking and neither is the décor, but it’s still an incredibly pleasant place to go for some pretty decadent Italian cookery.

The restaurant’s navy façade initially screams classic French Bistro rather than upscale Italian Trattoria. However, once you’re inside, a framed print of an Italian flag hangs from the exposed brick wall and Italian TV blares in the background. It’s nice that the restaurant doesn’t take itself too seriously but equally there’s something a little jarring about football being shown in a restaurant where your napkins are refolded when you leave the table. The interior of the two-floor restaurant is simple but cosy, with the downstairs feeling slightly more formal than the floor that you enter on.

When it comes to food there isn’t a lot to complain about. A subtle tuna carpaccio comes served atop a disk of crushed avocado whilst crisp slices of rosemary bread are perfect for dipping into the creamy burrata. We couldn’t stop eating the acorn-fed San Daniele ham generously served on a long wooden charcuterie board. Larger dishes included a wonderfully rich fillet on beef served alongside foie gras and a deep red wine jus, finished with shaved black truffle which added an earthy edge. If you possibly can, try and leave space for a classic but particularly special tiramisu served in something resembling a silver goblet.

The accompanying wine list is impressively extensive, but with very few wines under £30 for a bottle, you might just want to stick to glasses or carafes.

Il Baretto is old-fashioned in style and is certainly by no means cheap, but if you’re wanting top quality Italian produce cooked really rather well and can afford the hefty bill, it’s not a bad option.

Italian
Cosy, Fine dining, Fun, Glamorous, Lively, Luxury, Romantic, Traditional
All day dining, Dinner, Lunch
Counter dining, Dog friendly, Gluten-free options, Vegan options, Vegetarian options
Birthdays, Celebrations, Celeb-spotting, Child friendly, Dates, Group dining [8+], Romantic, Special occasions

Il Baretto is featured in

Best Marylebone Bars

Special offers from Il Baretto

Dine with us! 20% off on food

From: 10 January, 2020
To: 29 January, 2020
Max: 5
20% off on food only. Dine with us! 20% off on food - applies on a minimum spend of £45 per person.
Availability: Sun-Wed 6:00PM-7:30PM

Offers to book by phone

Exclusive

Glass of Bubbles for bookings up to 5 people

Permanent Promotion

On Monday to Friday from 6 pm to 7.15 pm we will be offering a glass of Bubbles when you sit on the table for bookings up to 5 people.

For this offer to be valid you must email Brigita@ilbaretto.co.uk and quote Squaremeal.

See you there!

Sat 18:30-22:30
Sun 18:30-22:00

Reviews of Il Baretto

Bibi K

Terrible Italian that wants to be upscale and will take you for a ride
16 April 2016
I have been a few times to Il Baretto, which I have always thought of as an expensive and over-rated place. This visit is definitely the last. It is extremely expensive for a very basic, unsophisticated, Iralian menu. I don't mind basic Italian but not at such prices. We asked for a side of pasta to accompany the veal Milanese and they brought us a whole main course of pasta with cream and mushrooms which we did not asked and told us quite rudely that they do not do sides of pasta. They brought me a minestrone with cheese in it! That was a first and told us there was no way they could make one without. I imagine these are made earlier with cheese. Not very good for a restaurant that expensive undeservedly. The person who took our orders was rude by which I mean that each time we made a comment or asked for something, he couldn't do it. Anyway in the past I would have a paid a more for a local italian restaurant for ease purposes but Il Baretto has just gone too far. Don't go unless you like to feel like you have been cheated.

Ms/Mrs. joselyn L

You must try this hidden gem!
29 May 2015
Great cocktails, fabulous food, good vibe and accommodating staff what more can you ask for? Try it, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Ms/Mrs. Maribelle B

A firm favourite
02 March 2015
We have been regulars at Il Baretto for almost a decade and it is consistently excellent. Our top favourite Italian in London.

Mr. Andreas P

Moron at the door
20 July 2013
I arrived at 2102 for a 2100 reservation of a table for 2. I was told I was first to arrive and was taken to the table. Half an hour later when I almost gave up on my dining companion I realized that he had been shown to a different table . So two people waited in vain for 30 minutes. When I complained the staff were almost not apologetic and absolutely no offer was made to make amends or offer a free drink or discount to the bill. This is an arrogant establishment manned by staff who have no job being in the business if they treat customers with such contempt.

Ms/Mrs. Neil M

24 November 2012
It always has a really buzzy atmosphere. The food is good but like the wine list above normally pricey!!

Ms/Mrs. Cara N

15 September 2012
One of my favourite local restaurants and my go-to Italian. I believe Il Baretto to be underrated.The food is very well-presented and consistently delicious while not being pretentious and overpriced. Perfect for a quick weekday lunch or a long evening meal. My favourite things on the menu are: Starters: Burrata with Parma Ham (£15.50) Yellowfin Tuna Tartare (£10.50) Mains: Linguine with lobster (£19.50) in a tomato, sweet chili, garlic & white wine sauce Chicken Paillard (£14.50) Burrata Pizza (£17 – which sounds like a lot for a pizza but it is out of this world) with fresh burrata, tomato & fresh cherry tomatoes One downfall of Il Baretto is the staff. Getting an attentive and knowledgeable waiter is quite rare however I don't believe this to be a huge problem and the quality of the food makes one forget about the poor service. At least the kitchen staff know what they're doing!

Mr. clive L

01 July 2012
A great disappointment. Overproced for mediocre standard of food which arrived on cold plates. Bill arrived and table cleared without being asked for. ''''We have people waiting'' was the poorly delivered explanation.. Obe to avoid

Ms/Mrs. Claire T

09 March 2012
We were recommended Il Baretto by a friend, but unfortunately after reading some of the reviews online I was a little apprehensive. Anyway we decided to go along anyway. We ended up having a great evening. The food was uncomplicated yet fantastic. I will definitely be going back.

Mr. Gerry K

16 January 2012
I have now tried the resturant 3 times. Each time the service was awful. The manager and assistant manager are the most rude individuals that i have ever met. How do they think they can get away with such poor service. Its too bad. I hope the owner reads the other reviews as well and sees a common theme. Thats the last time i will go.

Mr. Eric A

12 August 2010
Food is not bad. Unfortunately the place is too popular —- even on a week night —- and the staff have a terrible attitude. So expect to wait 45 minutes after the time of your reservation before you can sit down, and don't expect the staff to be sympathetic.

Other restaurants near Il Baretto

Clarette
Marylebone

Clarette

You are requesting to book Il Baretto for people on at .