Great Queen Street

British

About Great Queen Street

Seasonal flavours, quality native ingredients and a laid-back vibe set the tone at this “unpretentious and good value” Covent Garden favourite. Like its gastropub siblings (including The Anchor & Hope and Camberwell Arms), immense care goes into the no-frills menu here, showcasing back-to-basics British cooking, with well-judged nods to the continent. The menu changes daily, but choices might include earthy wild mushroom and Parmesan polenta, hake fillet with shrimps, leeks and a vibrant saffron mash, or melting braised pig's cheek with cider and quince. Friendly staff make well-informed recommendations and keep service skipping along at a brisk pace, though hearty sharing dishes such as suet-crusted steak and ale pie or seven-hour lamb shoulder are worth lingering over. The cracking drinks list includes interesting wines and well-chosen craft beers, plus seasonal cocktails and homemade ginger beer, making the downstairs Cellar Bar a useful rendezvous.

Good to know about Great Queen Street

Opening Times of Great Queen Street

Mon-Sat 12N-2.30pm 6-10.30pm Sun 1-4pm

Reviews of Great Queen Street

11 February 2016

Haven't been back to Queen Street for some time but was pleasantly surprised - despite some reviews it has not 'gone down the pan'. My starter of potted shrimps was OK - a little over peppered. But the main of a Barnsley chop (lamb) with creamed spinach was very good. Pleasant enough staff who were helpful on the wine list. Unpretentious and good value for what it is. Will go again.

22 October 2014

We certainly would not recommend anyone to come to this restaurant at all - don't waste your time here. There are easily much better restaurants nearby. The service was one of the worst we have ever experienced in London. Ambience was aweful, we all lost half of our appetite the second we walked in. We have already told them we needed to leave the restaurant by a a certain time for theatre in advance when we booked the table. Yet they kept hassling us about when we were going to return the table to them 15 minutes after we sat down. Unfriendly, terribly rude, unhelpful service, never felt so dissatisfied and offended after a meal. Told us we couldn't have a wine glass to drinks wine because We ordered 'cheap wine not expensive wine' (the waitress' exact words, who certainly doesn't look anything like a diamond herself, and btw the wine wasn't too bad, ordered as recently recommended by the Decanter magazine). This is a gastropub, we were hoping to have a relaxed, enjoyable experience, most certainly no need to be pretentious. Food was average at best (at least better than their service), but the Menu was incredibly dull and boring. Some of the very saddest and greasiest potatoes ever came out of a professional kitchen.

02 July 2013

I was sure Great Queen Street would be a new favourite when I visited for the first time recently. I was dining with my partner and our good friend, who is a vegetarian. My partner and I ordered a roast crown of duck with cherries (£40) to share. It was amazing. The duck was delicious and perfectly cooked. Our friend ordered something along the lines of “Polish gnocchi with peas and girolles” (£14). When the meal was served we were amused to see that this dish amounted to a layer of peas and mushrooms on the bottom of the dish and three small pieces of gnocchi. THREE. For £14. The manager was called and my friend explained that she had expected a main course-sized portion. His response? “That dish has been on the menu for months and we've had no complaints” and “It's a light summer salad”. She persisted with her argument, but to no avail. At no point did they offer to replace the dish. He even had the nerve to suggest that she help herself to some of our duck (we’d have happily shared, but she’s vegetarian and it was rude of him to offer up our meal to someone else!) In the end she was offered a free side dish, but that took a hard fight. Their argument was that their dish was perfect, so there should be no argument! Ridiculous. I hardly ever complain in restaurants, but on the odd occasion I have complained I’ve never been so poorly treated. I’ve always been given the option to choose another dish, or not charged for the dish. The appalling attitude shown by the staff amazes me and I would advise everyone to avoid it.

19 March 2012

Warning: this may sound over-the-top… but, we had a truly perfect dinner. Some previous reviews had me a bit hesitant… ALL of the food was creative and beyond delicious. The bartender is charming, informative and patient. The food came at perfectly-timed intervals… and did I mention it was delicious? Great staff all around. Thanks for a perfect dinner!

28 February 2012

A firm favourite and popular with friends too. The menu is good wholesome British cooking, and it is served in an unpretentious setting. The atmosphere is fun and it is rare to leave without feeling full and happy. Go if you like rustic cooking and comfort foods. Avoid if you are on a diet (or vegetarian).

Other restaurants near Great Queen Street