Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke

Burgers, International

Call Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke

GBK, founded in South London over 10 years ago, was ahead of the curve in as regards specialising in burgers & Antipodean flavours – which is what differentiates it from the now-plentiful competition. High-profile Kiwi chef Peter Gordon (of Providores & Kopapa fame) has consulted on the brand since the start, & his influence is felt across the menu of burgers & fusion salads, sharing plates & sides. Beef patties on a soft sesame bun are the starting point for most of the burgers, though you will also find bean, buffalo & chicken variants (try them with satay sauce or added Camembert & cranberry). Imports from the land of the long white cloud such as burgers with beetroot, egg & pineapple, alongside bottles of L&P (Lemon & Paeroa), will give cheer to homesick New Zealanders.

Good to know about Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke

Burgers, International

Location for Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke

Unit R8 Lower Ground Festival Square, Basingstoke, RG21 7BE

Reviews of Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke

Very average!
01 May 2016
I visited for lunch with a friend. We pre-booked a table. We arrived and were greeted by a slightly miserable and unsmiling woman which wasn't the best start. We were shown to the table, but I was not given the kids menu that I asked for with the booking. After we chose from the menu, which had a good choice of (slightly overpriced) burgers but very few desserts, we were instructed to order from the bar. For the price charged, I feel that table service would be more appropriate. We weren't told that we could help ourselves to free monkey nuts or that we had a table number which I was asked for when ordering. I must say that the woman behind the bar was an exception to the poor service and she was extremely patient with me despite the fact that I didn't know the table number. I paid and used my GBK app - which provided excellent discounts. My friend's overpriced coke soon arrived along with my lime milkshake, which was surprisingly delicious. We were also given tap water which came without ice (no one asked for our preference); the glass given to me had several water marks where it hadn't been dried properly. Our burgers came very quickly afterwards. My friend had a medium 4oz classic beef burger which was apparently delicious. I had a kid's grilled chicken burger which was okay but could have used a bit more seasoning, I also found it slightly overcooked and the bottom of the bun was excessively doughy. The skinny fries were outstanding, however! Our plates were cleared quickly and we were asked if everything was okay which was a nice addition to the service which was otherwise below an acceptable standard. I had also ordered a kids strawberry frozen yoghurt. A long wait then followed for this, and I had a look around while waiting. The restaurant was generally fairly clean although the GBK app card on our table was dirty and there was some dirt at the bottom of our napkin holder. The light above the table next to us was not working. After at least 15 minutes of waiting, I figured that they must have just forgotten about my dessert, so I went up to the bar to chase it. I had to wait for a staff member as only one till was operating. When another staff member came to the second till, I asked where my yoghurt was and he said that he'll bring it over right away. During this conversation, he didn't smile once or admit to / apologise about the fact that they had clearly forgotten about my yoghurt. The yoghurt came out, and I was extremely disappointed to be served a pre-packaged (still in its packet) yoghurt. There was nothing wrong with it, but I was really unimpressed about the fact that they serve food still in its packet. I would have liked something more special (perhaps sauce or sprinkles scene as it was on the kids menu) and that is not what I got at all. There are only two toilets in the whole building which isn't sufficient during busy periods. I had to use the disabled toilet which was very poorly lit and in a state of disrepair around the base of the door. It was fairly clean. The tap was extremely awkward to use because it made water spray everywhere. I would have also liked to see paper towels to turn the taps off with in addition to the hand dryer to avoid hand contamination. Overall, this place is really nothing special and I will not be rushing back or recommending. It can be the ideal place for a very quick lunch though.

Ms/Mrs. Nick D

09 November 2009
Nothing really special. I don't know why our Kiwi friends rave about this place. The normal beef burgers are pretty average and I found mine very dry even when cooked medium. If you want something different and in my opinion better then try the buffalo burger, it was far more flavoursome. GBK is pricey and average to be honest, it just looks and feels like an expensive burger bar. It's saving grace (for this particular restaurant anyway) is that it is better than Pizza Hut and Burger King which are just round the corner.

Other restaurants near Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Basingstoke