Coq d'Argent

French

SquareMeal Review of Coq d'Argent

Going for the gold standard on a street called Poultry, Coq d’Argent is near the top of the City’s pecking order. We reckon its status as an “all-time favourite” in business diaries is down to a considerable clutch of attractions including gorgeous roof gardens, a heavily diverting wine list and the good looks of a cruise liner in its pomp. The Coq also delivers “consistently good food” from breakfast onwards, taking in gluten-free and vegan menus plus a surprisingly mature children’s offer. Wherever you sit – in the restaurant, grill or bar – the French accent is as robust as the pricing, conjuring Gallic luxury with careful flourishes. Lunch in the Grill might mean cauliflower soup with a poached egg followed by spiced braised lamb shank with white coco beans and wild mushrooms, while the restaurant promises higher levels of complexity – perhaps black truffle and ricotta tortellini with Parmentier espuma or immaculately balanced wild roe deer with a plateful of silky seasonal trimmings. The service at Coq d’Argent is equal to the demands of a confident clientele.

Good to know about Coq d'Argent

French
Big and bold, Buzzy, Formal, Fun, Glamorous, Quiet conversation, Widely spaced tables
Outside seating, Rooftop, Views

Taste of Coq d'Argent £59 per person

From: 25 February, 2019
To: 30 April, 2019
Max: 6
6 course tasting menu available for £59 per person, menu bookable for the whole table only
Availability: Mon-Fri 11:30AM-2:00PM 5:30PM-10:00PM,Sat 5:30PM-10:00PM

Le Grand Dejeuner Weekend 2 courses £38 / 3 courses £45

From: 1 April, 2019
To: 31 May, 2019
Max: 6
Le Grand Dejeuner Weekend : Choice of ten Starters and Mains, Crustaceans, Fruit de mer for two, sharing dishes for two
Availability: Sun 12:00PM-4:00PM,Sat 12:00PM-4:00PM

Set Menu: 2 courses £29.50 / 3 courses £34.50 per person

From: 1 April, 2019
To: 31 May, 2019
Max: 6
Set Menu available in the Restaurant: 2 courses £29.50 / 3 courses £34.50 per person Available for lunch and dinner, Monday – Friday, 11.30-15.00 / 17.30-23.00 Available for Saturday dinner, 17.30-23.00
Availability: Mon-Fri 11:30AM-3:00PM 5:30PM-11:00PM,Sat 5:30PM-11:00PM

Reviews of Coq d'Argent

Mr. Christopher B

Downhill
03 February 2018
I have not been back for a while and found that some of the staff had no idea how the restaurant and bar worked. It took a long time for us to order and when we did order, the wrong order for the main course came to the table. We sent it back and then the staff brought it back and insisted that we had it. The starters were good, quail but the main course was poor, the food over cooked and to add insult to injury for not bringing the right order. The desert was supposed to take 15 to 20 minutes for a hot tart tatin, 5 minutes later it arrive, cool-not impressed. At the end the staff lost our coats and we spent time trying to find them as we walked around the cloak roomst. They were hidden beneath other coats and our number tag bore no relationship to the location of the coats. Such a shame

Great buzz and excitement
25 August 2017
The restaurant has a great buzz and excitement to it – as soon as you arrive you are made to feel special. The food is very well presented and tasted divine, however, the prices are not cheap and the bill can easily escalate with sides etc.

Ms/Mrs. Rita G

Good food
27 November 2015
Lovely evening out with clients, great food and service. Wine is expensive but worth the visit.

Simon R

The Coq d'Argent Experience
18 September 2014
I met a friend for lunch at Coq d'Argent one sunny day in September 2014. The signs at street level could be clearer, but after finding my way to the exclusive lift I was greeted by the staff and shown to my table in the rooftop garden, under a quiet shady tree. It seems difficult to believe that Coq d'Argent is located in central London. The staff were very courteous and discrete as I would expect. The menu is well thought out and the food is prepared to a very high standard. My friend and I both thoroughly enjoyed lunch and it is surprising how time drifts by in such pleasant surroundings.

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

21 July 2014
I'd been to C'oq D'argent a few times for after work drinks in the summer. It's got gorgeous large terrace, quite unlike anywhere else in the City with lots of greenery that separates the tables so you feel quite secluded. It really makes you forget you're just above Bank station. It's worth just popping up for a cocktail. However, I'd never been for dinner and wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a great deal that the food is overpriced. It certainly isn't cheap and the menu is far from ground breaking but the two dishes I had – a steak and chocolate fondant were utterly divine and well worth the money. The service is good and although the restaurant does look a little ‘City’ and stuffy on site, it's actually got quite a nice atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Ms/Mrs. David T

12 July 2014
This is a very nice restaurant, in a great location, in the very heart of the City, with a delightful ambience, particularly in good weather. The food is good but not spectacular. We had two starters, chateaubriand, a very drinkable, actually delicious NZ pinot noir (the cheapest on the list at £45) one desert and coffee. The bill, with 12.5% service included, was £195. If I were a banker making mid six figures or upwards, I'd probably go there all the time and expense-account the meal without thinking. For those less well healed, paying privately, be prepared to ‘fork out’!

Sandra S

30 June 2014
Had a wonderful evening having had drinks on the outside terrace and we booked a table for 4 using the 2-courses for £26 meal deal. Although the food was excellent we didn't realise that vegetables were not included and had to order those after. Peter, who was serving us, was a delightful , accommodating young man as are so many of the other waiters. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone

Ms/Mrs. Jasmin C

27 May 2014
Absolutely great restaurant, went there on whim as a last minute thing and would definitely recommend it. The Food was fantastic and varied and the wine lit was superb. On arrival, I couldn't decide whether to sit outside or inside and they swiftly assured me that either way, they would happily move me. I chose the outside, but when the weather took a turn for the worst, even though we were completely covered I decided I wanted to sit inside, the staff rushed to seat me within the inside of the restaurant. The atmosphere and garden was unique and trendy, yet elegant and I would recommend for both couples and large parties.

David P

28 March 2014
Had pleasant lunch with former colleague. Snails and rump for me. Champignon terrine and salmon for her. Food all to a high standard and the service as good if a wee bit frenetic at the height of the lunchtime rush. This for me is a London staple for business lunches and dinners. It's reliable, you know what you're going to get and as they say ‘it does what it says on the tin’. My guest from New York also liked the views, the location convenient for the City and the ambiance so we were both happy.

Rachel B

13 March 2014
The food and service was excellent and the atmosphere was very relaxed. I would definitely recomment a visit.

Other restaurants near Coq d'Argent

You are requesting to book Coq d'Argent for people on at