SquareMeal Review of Coq d'Argent

Few London restaurants enjoy the enduring popularity that surrounds Coq d’Argent. A long-time favourite in business diaries across the capital, the restaurant has been pulling in the corporate crowds since 1998, in part thanks to its “brilliant location” right by Bank tube station.

The restaurant is accessed via one of two dedicated lifts found at street level and once you’ve reached the rooftop, you’ll have the chance to explore Coq’s various crowd-pleasing attractions. In the summertime, the stunning roof gardens are the place to enjoy views of the Gherkin and Walkie Talkie with a cocktail in hand, while the wraparound terrace is perfect for alfresco dining. The outdoor space isn’t just for sunnier days though – look out for fun installations in the winter season too, such as faux ski lodges.

Inside, the dining room’s gleaming surfaces resemble a cruise liner in all its pomp. We’d be inclined to agree with those readers who reckon that the dark interiors could do with a refresh, although there is an old-school charm to the aesthetic.

Things kick off with breakfast before a French-accented menu takes over later in the morning touting fastidiously sourced, luxury ingredients with price tags to match. Tuck into the likes of pasta ribbons with a glossy egg yolk at the centre and a handful of black truffle shavings on top, or 28 day-aged beef Rossini served alongside wild mushroom duxelles and a gamey Perigourdine sauce. Come dessert, Coq’s signature Pomme is the must order, an ‘apple’ that reveals itself to be a white chocolate shell concealing cream, apple chunks and chocolate crumb.

Gluten free and vegan menus are also available, as well as an impressively mature children’s offering. The restaurant’s wine list is another draw, overseen by a sommelier who knows what he’s talking about, while old-school service (suited staff, tablecloths dusted off between courses) is a hit with diners, all culminating in what one reader describes as a “faultless dining experience”.

French
Fine dining, Fun, Glamorous, Lively, Quiet conversation, Traditional, Unique, Widely spaced tables
All day dining, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch

Set Menu: 2 courses £29.50 | 3 courses £34.50 per person

From: 2 January, 2020
To: 29 February, 2020
Max: 6
Set Menu available in the Restaurant: 2 courses £29.50 / 3 courses £34.50 per person Available for lunch and dinner, Monday – Friday, 11.30-15.00 / 17.30-23.00 / Saturday & Sunday lunch 12noon - 15.45 Available for Saturday dinner, 17.30-23.00
Availability: Sun 12:00PM-4:00PM,Mon-Fri 11:30AM-3:00PM 5:30PM-11:00PM,Sat 12:00PM-4:00PM 5:30PM-11:00PM

Alpine Brunch: 2 courses £33 | 3 courses £38

From: 21 September, 2019
To: 31 March, 2020
Max: 6
New Alpine Brunch: Join us at the weekend from 12-4pm and enjoy two or three courses of Alpine winter warmers and a luxurious cheese fondue to share
Availability: Sun 12:00PM-3:45PM,Sat 12:00PM-3:45PM

Reviews of Coq d'Argent

Mr. Christopher B

Downhill
03 February 2018
I have not been back for a while and found that some of the staff had no idea how the restaurant and bar worked. It took a long time for us to order and when we did order, the wrong order for the main course came to the table. We sent it back and then the staff brought it back and insisted that we had it. The starters were good, quail but the main course was poor, the food over cooked and to add insult to injury for not bringing the right order. The desert was supposed to take 15 to 20 minutes for a hot tart tatin, 5 minutes later it arrive, cool-not impressed. At the end the staff lost our coats and we spent time trying to find them as we walked around the cloak roomst. They were hidden beneath other coats and our number tag bore no relationship to the location of the coats. Such a shame

Belinda L

Great buzz and excitement
25 August 2017
The restaurant has a great buzz and excitement to it – as soon as you arrive you are made to feel special. The food is very well presented and tasted divine, however, the prices are not cheap and the bill can easily escalate with sides etc.

Ms/Mrs. Rita G

Good food
27 November 2015
Lovely evening out with clients, great food and service. Wine is expensive but worth the visit.

Simon R

The Coq d'Argent Experience
18 September 2014
I met a friend for lunch at Coq d'Argent one sunny day in September 2014. The signs at street level could be clearer, but after finding my way to the exclusive lift I was greeted by the staff and shown to my table in the rooftop garden, under a quiet shady tree. It seems difficult to believe that Coq d'Argent is located in central London. The staff were very courteous and discrete as I would expect. The menu is well thought out and the food is prepared to a very high standard. My friend and I both thoroughly enjoyed lunch and it is surprising how time drifts by in such pleasant surroundings.

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

21 July 2014
I'd been to C'oq D'argent a few times for after work drinks in the summer. It's got gorgeous large terrace, quite unlike anywhere else in the City with lots of greenery that separates the tables so you feel quite secluded. It really makes you forget you're just above Bank station. It's worth just popping up for a cocktail. However, I'd never been for dinner and wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a great deal that the food is overpriced. It certainly isn't cheap and the menu is far from ground breaking but the two dishes I had – a steak and chocolate fondant were utterly divine and well worth the money. The service is good and although the restaurant does look a little ‘City’ and stuffy on site, it's actually got quite a nice atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Ms/Mrs. David T

12 July 2014
This is a very nice restaurant, in a great location, in the very heart of the City, with a delightful ambience, particularly in good weather. The food is good but not spectacular. We had two starters, chateaubriand, a very drinkable, actually delicious NZ pinot noir (the cheapest on the list at £45) one desert and coffee. The bill, with 12.5% service included, was £195. If I were a banker making mid six figures or upwards, I'd probably go there all the time and expense-account the meal without thinking. For those less well healed, paying privately, be prepared to ‘fork out’!

Sandra S

30 June 2014
Had a wonderful evening having had drinks on the outside terrace and we booked a table for 4 using the 2-courses for £26 meal deal. Although the food was excellent we didn't realise that vegetables were not included and had to order those after. Peter, who was serving us, was a delightful , accommodating young man as are so many of the other waiters. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone

Ms/Mrs. Jasmin C

27 May 2014
Absolutely great restaurant, went there on whim as a last minute thing and would definitely recommend it. The Food was fantastic and varied and the wine lit was superb. On arrival, I couldn't decide whether to sit outside or inside and they swiftly assured me that either way, they would happily move me. I chose the outside, but when the weather took a turn for the worst, even though we were completely covered I decided I wanted to sit inside, the staff rushed to seat me within the inside of the restaurant. The atmosphere and garden was unique and trendy, yet elegant and I would recommend for both couples and large parties.

Kerim T

28 March 2014
Had pleasant lunch with former colleague. Snails and rump for me. Champignon terrine and salmon for her. Food all to a high standard and the service as good if a wee bit frenetic at the height of the lunchtime rush. This for me is a London staple for business lunches and dinners. It's reliable, you know what you're going to get and as they say ‘it does what it says on the tin’. My guest from New York also liked the views, the location convenient for the City and the ambiance so we were both happy.

Rachel B

13 March 2014
The food and service was excellent and the atmosphere was very relaxed. I would definitely recomment a visit.

Other restaurants near Coq d'Argent

You are requesting to book Coq d'Argent for people on at .