Cecconi's Mayfair

Italian

Call Cecconi's Mayfair to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Cecconi's Mayfair

“The canteen of many a local”, Cecconi’s is every bit as slick as that reader description suggests, given that the locale in question is the Mayfair of fund managers and gallery owners.

Expect “a wonderful welcome” (staff will do their best to accommodate you if you arrive without a booking) and a “great buzz” (the people-watching is “wonderful”), whether you turn up for an Anglo-Italian breakfast, weekend brunch before a show at the Royal Academy over the road or an evening blowout dripping with more glamour than the jewellers on neighbouring Bond Street.

Simple, “easy-to-eat” Italian food is the order of the day: tangy cacio e pepe or subtle vitello tonnato might be followed by a gigantic veal milanese and profiteroles drowned in a hot sauce that melts the pistachio ice cream within the pastry. It’s retro to be sure (the food of fondly remembered parties), but it’s rarely anything short of “delicious”.

But while the cooking may be relatively straightforward, complex hierarchies are involved in the seating plan – secure a table at one of the discreet emerald-green velvet banquettes and you know you’ve made it in life. Show-offs, meanwhile, might prefer a window seat where they can bask in the envious glances of passers-by – especially when the frontage is open to the street in summer.

The really chic thing to do, however, is to turn your back on the whole scene, bag a stool at the bar and nibble on cicchetti while knocking back Prosecco by the glass. As they say in Italy, la vita e bella!

Good to know about Cecconi's Mayfair

Mon-Sat 7am-1am (Sat 8am- ) Sun 8am-12N

Reviews of Cecconi's Mayfair

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

17 June 2014
Food is fresh and impeccable. Great for people watching- it has a fashionable and buzzy atmosphere. Service is friendly and attentive. One of my favourite places in London. Great for dining alone, taking a date/friend, or business dinner.

Mr. Mike B

08 May 2014
This is everything you will have read and heard. Slick and glitzy are indeed the best words to describe it but this is not form over substance. Clients are a combination of sharp-suited city/ hedge fund types, very well-heeled local leisured class and international beau monde. This was a business dinner for me and the restaurant feel was buzzing and lively which sometimes meant we had to speak at a slightly higher volume than felt appropriate to compete with surrounding tables. We booked for 9pm but couldn’t be accommodated until close to 10pm. It was still well worth the wait and the volume of diners passing through hadn’t diluted the quality of the food in any way. Both my starter of Salt Cod and main course of crab ravioli were both full of fresh flavour and whilst I knew the sauce with the ravioli was verging on being a little too rich for me I just couldn’t stop until I had done it total justice. Just as I thought I could take no more, I cast an eye over the dessert menu and, well…you can’t come to a highly renowned Italian restaurant and not have the Tiramasu. It was the perfect consistency – moist, yielding and almost slightly sloppy in parts (sorry there’s probably a technical foodie term I should use but “sloppy” is just how a like a tiramisu to be), deliciously rich (again), and impossible to leave. I can’t believe I hadn’t dined here before because it really is a superb restaurant and can play host for any occasion – business lunch/ dinner, social, special occasion/ anniversary. Book well in advance and you will not regret it.

Ms/Mrs. Natasha V

03 December 2012
I had been to Cecconi's some time back in November with some family friends of mine who are frequent diners here. I had the crab ravioli, which was to DIE FOR!!! Cheesecake was out of this world! Second time I came with a potential date for the Cheesecake, again, blown away! Third time I came with my sister and mother for my sister's birthday, and again, I cannot fault Cecconi's at all. The Lobster spaghetti was so delicious, that I could not eat any more and had to take some home. My sister loved her lamb dish and my mother adored her fish dish. I had recommened this place to a friend of mine, and he keeps going back. What can I say? Cecconi's, you are the best! I look forward to celebrating my 33rd Birthday at this decadent restaurant! Bellissima!

Mr. Alex G

09 August 2012
If you fancy a spot of informal glamour and are unable to make it over to the likes of Milan, then Cecconi's hits the spot. There is very much a sense of those comfortable with their money here and the people watching is among the best in London. While all this may undoubtedly be true, the reason why people (including this reviewer) keep returning again and again is that it is very hard to fault what Cecconi does. The whole operation is slick and runs both smoothly and effortlessly day and night. Staff are friendly and efficient, swift and attentive. The ability to mix and match from snacks to mains allows for a diverse variety of combinations and one is rarely disappointed. On this occasion, delicate quail eggs were perfectly balanced by a tuna and caper sauce (from the cichetti menu), while crab raviioli to follow was cooked to perfection with the crab finely balanced by fresh tomatoes. My dining comrade enjoyed meatballs (also from the cichetti listings) and a salad, again prepared faultlessly. Importantly, despite the restaurant being busy, we were allowed more than ample to sit and talk at our table once the plates had been cleared away, a very welcome approach in what is justifiably always a busy restaurant.

Mr. Patrick B

06 July 2012
Bella Italia! Yes, it's true. Your colleague showing off about going to Cecconi's with his wife/girlfriend/client is proabaly not exaggerating. It is quite easy to overspend on Cecconi's lovely menu – and it's wine list for that matter. However, the place oozes with a sense of occaison and the simple understanding that this is a tiny enclave of a top italian restaurant transposed to London. A unbeatable location and a really quite pleasant terrace are futher advantages… Cecconi's fulfills a number of stereotypes, but – and so rarely in London these days – it delivers, and delivers and just when you thought it couldn't improve – it delivered some more. Grazie.

Ms/Mrs. Candice T

09 June 2012
On Thursday 7 June 2012 I hate the lamb papardelle for starters and the veal ossobuco for main course I totally hated it, the lamb was very tough and tasted of old mutton and the ossobuco was again very tough I left everything following this very bad experiance i won't be returning to cecconi's again

Mr. Guilherme B

06 November 2011
Took people there for Sunday breakfast today. Good atmosphere, great location, well decked-out, good value. BUT 1. Dirty Crockery, 2. Terribly weak caffetiere coffee – depite sending back the first, the second came as anaemic as any American might want. 3. Service typical of a chain – no one there who cared about what impression the customer might walk away with. Receptionists chatting among themselves, while people waited for them to turn their gaze towards the customer; servers who did not listen (to the request for coffee brewed strong) and who did not check the crockery they brought to the table for cleanliness… COME ON SOHO HOUSE ! YOU KNOW ABOUT HOSPITALITY, GET YOUR HiT SQUAD IN NOW !!!

Mr. Nizar P

20 September 2011
After considering a lot of Italian restaurants for our anniversary dinner, I chose this one. It is on the top italian restaurants in London list and the menu looked good. I ca'nt really fault the service but for the price you pay, the food is simply average. The veal cannelloni could have been straight from Pizza Express. Nothing wow about it at all. Also, when I booked, I advised the restaurant that it was our wedding anniversary on the day and that a nice table would be great and anything else they could do. When the restaurant phoned me on the morning to confirm, I repeated that again and they said it was noted. Nobody mentioned anything when we were at the restaurant, we received a standard table next to the window (not the soft seating on the other side of the restaurant) and it was just like any other night. Even chain restaurants make a bit of effort! Very disappointing – will not be going there again.

Ms/Mrs. Jacqueline R

23 July 2011
I utterly adore, ADORE, Cecconi's, but you need to make sure you choose it for the right occasion. Want to eat out in a gaggle of chums and roar with laughter? Head to Cecconi's! Want to take your new paramour for a quiet romantic meal – well – I wouldn't really recommend it… The room is one of the busiest and loudest dining rooms in this cooking standard – and this all adds to the atmosphere. Since they smoking ban came in, I love it even more (it was always full of smokers). I've always found the service to be prompt – if not super-prompt. Unfortunately my beloved lobster salad has finally been removed from the menu, but fortunately the courgette's remain. Even if you don't like courgettes, please do order some – this is the best way to eat them, and is how they serve them in Sheekey's too. Cecconi's is fantastic fun. My only caution is that it can be *very* loud. We once took a chum who can't speak very loudly as the result of an accident – it was incredibly difficult to hear him. I shouldn't think this applies to many diners, but it's just a note of caution.

Ms/Mrs. Lisa W

23 May 2011
Always wear heels to Cecconi's. It's just another way to soak up the feeling that somehow upon entering you are thin, tall, wealthy and cultured. Of course, many people there will actually fit that description. The lighting and a few drinks ensure you look gorgeous, which is good because everyone is looking (though you're looking back). Leave enough time before your reservation to enjoy a cocktail at the bar, where you can whisper with your friends about if the inappropriately young lady at someone's table is a little sister… or an escort. Food is fresh and delicious, waiters are Italian and handsome. Order three courses to make dinner last as long as possible, especially if you are seated on one of the velvet ensconsed booths. Don't take yourself too seriously, relax and enjoy the ambiance. It's a pretty penny but worth every one.

Other restaurants near Cecconi's Mayfair

You are requesting to book Cecconi's Mayfair for people on at .