SquareMeal Review of Caravan King's Cross

The whizz-kids behind Caravan Coffee Roasters have come a long way since opening their first gaff on Exmouth Market. Now spread across the capital, each site follows the formula with urban-industrial interiors and a seasonally changing all-day menu bristling with ideas from around the world – including the jamon and smoked san simon croquettes with saffron mayonnaise. A sure-fire winner with vegetarians (try the green quinoa grain bowl with burnt grelots, grilled broccoli, miso verde, sprouts and cashews), this mini-chain also offers delicious pizzas at its larger sites, alongside the small-batch coffees that helped to kick-start London’s latest love affair with caffeine. Caravan set the bar high with its trendy brunch options too (we like the paprika and spring onion waffle with thick cut bacon and maple-date butter). A packed, convivial dining room is pretty much guaranteed, ably buoyed by reasonable prices and inexpensive Old World wines.

Fusion
Brunch

Location for Caravan King's Cross

Granary Building, 1 Granary Square, King's Cross, London, London, N1C 4AA

Mon-Fri 8-11.30am 12N-10.30pm Sat 10am-4pm Sat-Sun 5-10.30pm

Reviews of Caravan King's Cross

Perfect for informal catch ups!
10 October 2017
I absolutely love Caravan however, it can get very noisy here so it is certainly only good for certain types of meetings! Definitely not more formal business meetings or even less formal ones where you need to discuss more confidential things. The food is incredible and I have tasted dishes here that I've never had elsewhere and I love to keep coming back to enjoy the ever-changing menu. In fact, I haven't been for a while so Caravan - I will see you soon!

Mr. Joe B

Trendy and filled with great food, so why do they call it Caravan?
04 February 2015
It’s not easy to review a venue having only experienced one course during a lunchtime sitting. Or should I say, it would very difficult to criticise a restaurant where you have only experienced one course. Fortunately, the experience - though a little on the slender side - was a pleasure and left me wanting more. Funny ideas shoot through your head when you are asked to meet at a place called ‘Caravan’. Summer holidays in Pontins as a child - fortunately these were minimal and only once in my formative years did I experience the sound of a man urinating up the side of my tent having stumbled out of Camber Sands’ premier Cabaret event. Of course Caravans are also synonymous with travellers, both the ones who manage to flip their mobile vacation unit on the M2, causing everyone delays getting home on a Friday night, and those featured in films starring Brad Pitt. But Caravan at King’s Cross certainly doesn’t fall into either of those categories, in fact it is a restaurant, set in the reclaimed and refurbished Granary Square building that also houses specialist tea shop Yum Chaa, as well as eateries Dishoom and the much talked about Grain Store. The very large, open-plan room, which has something of a Victorian workhouse feel about it, is incredibly deceptive, as the close knit tables allow a cacophony of trendy atmospheric buzz to permeate the room. Posh words innit. There are plenty of ponytails with beards, but also the suited and booted are in force to sample the delights of the Breakfast, Brunch and All Day menus during their networking business meetings. One of which I am on. The first thing to notice about both the drinks and the brunch menu is the absolute dedication to the alternative. And while I googled what many of the ingredients are, my two female accomplices chose from the small plates selection which includes Kohlrabi, fennel, lemon balm, walnuts, chardonnay vinaigrette (£5); Nardin anchovies, palm heart brandade, crisp bread (£6); and crispy soft shell crab, red lentil dahl, tomato kasundi, yoghurt (£9). There are too many weird and inventively blended creations to mention, so see the menu pic. The waiter, who was very attentive in between mirror selfie checks, was “not working on commission” and suggested a small plate each with a side of rocket salad (£3.50) between them should be enough. On arrival the ladies weren’t happy and considered ordering a further plate but instead decided to take it easy, it is still January to be fair. As well as large plates, the restaurant also offers a delightful array of pizzas, from which I took on the Wiltshire honey roasted ham, braised leeks, taleggio, thyme (£11). Served with a garnish plate with chillies, herbs and oils the thin crust pizza was beautifully cooked and covered in the sweet but smokey ham and creamy, melted taleggio cheese without a drop of tomato puree in sight. Crispy without being dry, it was a seriously good pizza from a restaurant that doesn’t exactly shout about its pizza-making capabilities. While water was already on the table, gratis, the drinks selection again tends to cater for the alternative, not a surprise giving the restaurant’s proximity to one of Central St Martin’s main art campuses. Glero prosecco on tap and Hells Lager from the Camden Brewery on tap both made a stop at our table while the menu also features an cocktail list – both non alcoholic for business lunches (who are we kidding?) – and alcoholic ones as well. Down the side of the restaurant is a pretty intense looking kitchen while there is also a large bar and roastary area where Caravan makes and sells its own coffee. My short visit definitely enticed me to want to go again for an evening visit. The service was good, the food was on point and the atmosphere was deliciously buzzy. Though there were pockets of everyday folk, there were, of course the legion of hipsters, but a more mature breed who now realize that they probably need to stop wearing wellies and dungarees and go and get a real job. So a real positive vibe with out being pretentious. But I still don’t have a clue why they call it Caravan.

Varuni G

06 August 2014
This was my previous favourite haunt before Honey and Co. Caravan is certainly a great addition to the weird site that is Kings Cross. Its set in a really funky area with stunning water fountains and has a lovely buzzy atmosphere, perfect for catching up. Foodwise, its all about sharing. Id been there quite a few times and whilst i loved the atmosphere, i think the menu just doesnt change enough so it soon gets a bit dull in my eyes. That said, the odd dish here and there (deep fried shredded chicken or the peanut butter shortbread) were excellent, as was the service (the manager seemed to always be around, making people feel welcome). There is no hurried table turning (E&O do you hear me??), and always seems like a buzzy place. Also, when the weather is nice, nothing beats sitting outside and watching the world go by in comfy seats (this area isnt bookable) Definitely somewhere to go at least once in town for meeting friends and perhaps going on elsewhere in the area.

Mr. Paul B

Salty
07 December 2013
I've eaten lunches here on half a dozen occasions and enjoyed. But this time I tried an early evening dinner with my partner and it was a disappointing experience. The music ( at 5.30 in a half-full buzzy restaurant) was intrusive. It was a young affluent educated crowd. Average age 30 and quite a few pairs of girls, so obviously popular with successful 30s. My partner ordered the Sea Bream, the most expensive thing on the menu, and a rocket salad. EVERYTHING was over-salted – why? It came with samphire, which was not as described on the menus and she probably would not have ordered the bream if it had been declared, not substituted. The rocket salad was inedible. To be fair, the restau handled it with grace and did not charge for either. I has braised lamb with olives on a bed of mash. Cheap but undistinguished. A disappointing meal and hence I cancelled a booking for four for dinner next week. I will give lunch another try as I've always enjoyed, but someone in the kitchen needs to learn to lay off the salt.

Ms/Mrs. Sarah R

Great place to meet friends
28 May 2013
My friends and I met for a good girly catch up here on Friday night. Booking is essential as it is very busy. Really buzzy atmosphere and efficient, friendly service. We could have stayed all night but unfortunately had to give our table back after 2 hours. There is a bar area to move to move onto. I had pizza which was delicious (crispy base and not too much cheese), my friends had pasta with roast duck. Wine list is pretty good too with some reasonably priced options. Personally, I prefer the Exmouth Market branch – friendlier service and a better selection of small plates. However if I am in Kings Cross I would come back here.

Other restaurants near Caravan King's Cross

You are requesting to book Caravan King's Cross for people on at .