British, Modern European

COVID-19 Update for The Lighterman

Updated on 10 Sep 2020

We can’t wait to welcome you back to The Lighterman! To ensure the safety and comfort of our guests and team, we have made some necessary changes based on the latest government guidelines, industry bodies and our safety consultants. These include, but are not limited to:

Staff wellness checks before every shift. Anyone displaying symptoms or pre-symptoms of COVID-19 will be excluded from the workplace.

Staff working hours have been adjusted to avoid the use of public transport during peak hours.

All employees have been trained on health and hygiene policies relating to COVID-19.

The number of employees on shift at any one time has been reduced to allow for social distancing.

We have reduced our menu to allow for fewer staff in our kitchens at any given time.

All Front of House staff will wear face coverings when serving guests and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be readily available.

Hand sanitiser is available for all guests on arrival and throughout their stay with us.

Cutlery will be individually wrapped, and sanitiser wipes are given to all guests when seated.

We have reviewed all daily cleaning procedures and implemented further daily deep cleans with approved cleaning products.

We are only taking card payments and advising guests to use contactless payment where possible.

We ask that you please don’t visit our venue if you are displaying any signs of COVID-19.

SquareMeal Review of The Lighterman

An impressive, three-storey modernist addition to Granary Square, this new pub-cum-dining room is furnished in an inviting, understated style with abundant natural wood and stylish leather. It is owned by a sister company to upmarket pub group Cubitt House – as evidenced by a menu incorporating many gastropub favourites. Even on a Monday, the street-level bar was abuzz with chatter, though the first-floor restaurant is a more formal proposition with wraparound terrace, floor-to-ceiling windows and friendly staff. Fish & chips and lamb shank are main-course fixtures, but the wood-fired grill is clearly the intended star, producing various seared cuts of meat, seafood dishes and burgers. Starters are generous; our cured trout with cucumber, spring onion and spiced mayo was wonderfully fresh-tasting, if heavily spiced. Unfortunately, a main course of Aberdeen Angus beef fillet arrived distinctly less rare than requested, paired with an over-seasoned peppercorn sauce. Roasted cod with celeriac purée, fennel and pumpkin seeds fared better, being flavoursome and light. The large drinks list has an eye on current trends, encompassing orange wine, craft ales and seasonal cocktails. But in a space already hosting the dependable likes of Caravan, we reckon there are better gastronomic options than the albeit attractive Lighterman.

Eat Out to Help Out Participating Restaurant

Reviews of The Lighterman

Jillian

Disappointed
07 July 2019

I had one of the priciest meals, sirloin steak and half a garlic bulb , extra for chips! Steak way to dry , chips already salted and garlic cold. Not going back.

Chiara P

The good, the bad and the ugly
20 March 2018
The good: We went for a sunday roast and the portions are sizeable, with nice touches such as 1) Lovely crispy crackling without so much salt that you're gasping for a drink 2) Tender, not overly fatty pork belly as sometimes it can be more fat than meat 3) The apple sauce was different which can often be a euphemism for "not good" but here really was! It tasted as though they has mixed it with horseradish or something which gave it enough of a kick to cut through the sweetness 4) Possibly the best sticky toffee pudding I have had in a long time, light not stodgy, none of the burnt taste that you can get when the toffee goes over The bad: 1) Overly salty gravy. Tasted like straight up Bisto. A good reminder to taste something before you drown your plate in it! 2) Roast potatoes that tasted as if they had been deep fried not roasted and (whisper it) a bit stale The ugly: I had a sizeable piece of pork left on my plate. I did ask the waitress to pack it but she must have not heard as when I reminded her later she had thrown it away. Lots of environmental resources have gone into cooking/rearing food, to throw it away wastes all of that. Please ask your staff to offer to pack things if there is lots left. It was mothers day and complimentary petit fours/ a drink for the mums wouldn't have gone amiss. Most other restaurants do this automatically when you book for a special occasion.

Nicole P

Favourite spot in Kings Cross
10 October 2017
The Lighterman is my go-to lunch spot in Kings Cross. I absolutely love it here; it is a fantastic location for a quick stroll along the canal from our offices and for any business meetings, it is only a stones throw from Kings Cross. Summertime here is wonderful as the L-shaped, upstairs terrace affords great views of the canal or the fountains in Granary Square and is able to accommodate shade-seekers or sun-worshipers alike. Downstairs, especially on a Friday night, is buzzing and when they finally opened up the lower canalside this year, it was the perfect spot for an after work drink with friends, colleagues or even on a date! The food here is really good too - they do change the menus seasonally however, they keep firm favourites there, such as crispy squid for starters and the amazing steaks! I have actually tried all the squid and all the steaks on offer in Kings Cross and The Lighterman is by far the best. I like to go here at least twice a week if I can - in fact, I'm there again tomorrow! If I were to have one minor issue, I think that the service could be more attentive. Lovely and polite waiters/waitresses however, I do often have to call them over rather than them noticing I need their attention. I work as an Executive Assistant and I have taken various EAs from other companies there for lunch and now they are using it too as a great venue and amazing location. I look forward to many more lunches and dinners here!

Other restaurants near The Lighterman

You are requesting to book The Lighterman for people on at .