Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

Afternoon tea, Brasserie, British, Fish, Hotel Bars, Modern European, Steak, Vegetarian·

SquareMeal Review of Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

A lesson in boutique charm, Brasserie Max combines homeliness with a sense of style – no wonder it’s popular with visiting celebs staying at the Covent Garden Hotel. Equally pleasant for breezy business lunches, chic afternoon tea or dinner à deux, the menu is a mix of classics and on-trend favourites ranging from Dorest crab with avocado and paprika mayo, veal chops and Dover sole to Thai beef salad, pepper-crusted yellowfin tuna, and roast cod with chorizo and saffron potatoes. Apart from the occasional misfire, the cooking is mostly on target (witness well-balanced crispy sea bass with ginger-steamed Asian greens and sesame), and desserts such as plum tarte tatin or dark chocolate brownie rarely disappoint. The wine list features plenty of decent choices, and super-smooth service is a bonus.

Cosy, Lively, Luxury, Romantic, Unique
Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Sunday roast
Counter dining, Gluten-free options, Vegan options, Vegetarian options, Wheelchair access
Birthdays, Celebrations, Dates, Romantic, Special occasions

COVID-19 Update for Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

Updated on 27 Sep 2021

STAYING SAFE AT FIRMDALE HOTELS
We have implemented even greater standards to all aspects of our operations in order to safely welcome our guests and team members to our hotels. We promise to continue to deliver our special style of personal service to ensure that each guest’s experience is one of comfort, safety and pleasure. We have tailored our offerings wherever possible to ensure that we deliver the highest standards of care.

In order to embrace the highest standards in accordance with government directives, Firmdale Hotels has a dedicated Group Health and Safety Manager who examines all risk assessments, standards of practice and equipment to ensure it is of the highest level to protect staff and guest safety.

OUR HYGIENE PARTNER
We have for many years partnered with Diversey, the global leader in hygiene solutions, which has specific expertise in hospitality. Harnessing over 95 years of experience and knowledge, Diversey has developed hospital grade cleaning technologies.

Read more on their website

FAQs

Can you book at Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel?

Does Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel offer gluten-free options?

What is the dress code at Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel?

We do not have a dress code

What is the menu like at Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel?

We have a seasonally changing menu with fish, meat, vegetarian and vegan options. We also serve a bar food menu all day

Location for Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

Sun 07:30-23:45

Reviews of Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

Fine but wouldn’t go back
10 October 2021   - Verified Diner

It's a great location and the space itself is pleasant enough.

The service was basic at best: neither attentive nor exacting. We had to chase food and drinks which were sloppily placed on the table when they did arrive (staff standing in one spot and leaning across the table to serve everyone, for example). I wouldn't have given this a second thought had this been a cheap eat but it very much was not.

The food tasted good but was overpriced, and there was an astronomical mark-up on the wine.

I don't make a habit of writing reviews, less so negative ones, but the dinner fell very short of expectations.

Fine but wouldn’t go back
10 October 2021   - Verified Diner

It's a great location and the space itself is pleasant enough.

Service was slow and we had a extra long wait fir our meal
03 January 2020   - Verified Diner

As above

Sarah R

Relaxed pre-theatre dinner
27 February 2017
I was very excited to be going to the Harry Potter Play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and wanted to mark the special occasion with a suitable venue for an early dinner. Covent Garden hotel is a short walk away from the Palace theatre where the play is being staged. We were given a comfortable table in the corner, the restaurant was busy as most people were finishing their afternoon tea or enjoying after work cocktails. The afternoon tea looked delicious and is reasonably priced but we decided to have dinner. I enjoyed the fish and chips, delicious on the skin chips the right portion so I wasn't too full. My fellow diners enjoyed the venison with artichoke puree, broccoli and fat cut chips to the side. They said it was perfectly cooked and tasted delicious. I ordered a glass of Chablis and the waitress informed me that they had given me the more expensive bottle that you couldn't usually open by the glass for the same price as they had a bottle open. I savoured every minute as it was devine! The service is friendly and fantastic. my only complaint was the dessert. I am an ice cream connoisseur, it was presented beautifully but was over frozen so I couldn't taste the flavours, only the ice. My friend had the ginger creme brulee which she said was delicious. If you want to see the Harry Potter play, head over to my blog page for tips on how to get them threeshotsahead.co.uk

Chris H

Late lunch
26 August 2016
I visited here to use vouchers I had received as a birthday present. All I can say is wow. The surroundings, food and service fantastic. I had the lobster and prawn cocktail and my companion had the five spice seared tuna shashimi to start. For mains we had Herb crusted rack of lamb with grilled baby artichokes and spiced tomato salsa and pork schnitzel. The tomato salsa was deliciously sweet. The pork schnitzel was extremely large and unfortunately my companion had to leave some. Highly recommended and I will return.

Sharon H

Cosy elegance near Covent Garden
27 September 2015
We thought we had booked the special offer shown on the Square Meal website which included 2 courses, a glass of wine and complimentary dessert for £23.50 and were disappointed to find that this was not available on a Saturday - although this was not clear on the Square Meal website. The set menu had several options for each course. I had the carpaccio of venison, followed by the seared salmon, both of which were delicious. The setting offers a lovely combination of elegance and cosiness and the service was excellent.

Jo B

A hidden gem.
12 January 2015
Exciting and interesting food which is very well cooked. lovely relaxed atmosphere. Service was great, Our waitress was excellent and we were very well looked after.

23 March 2014
Not often keen on restaurants in hotels, as they dont usually have much atmosphere, and this one was unfortunately no exception. On the plus side, gorgeous furnishings, fairly generous portions and a delicious starter (quinoa salad with pomegranate). On the minus, average service (our starter plates were left for quite a while after we'd finished) and very expensive: £170 for two courses, including a £35 bottle of wine and two pre dinner drinks. I wouldn't rush back.

Esther C

Wonderful
11 June 2013
Perfect service of high quality and beautifully presented food. Wines a bit pricy but no other complaints.

Deborah A

Stunning seasonal showcase!
09 June 2013
Two of us enjoyed the three course meal for £25. The choices were superb – and truly seasonal dishes couldn't have been better represented. Portions were extremely generous too! Our only criticism would be that there is little wine choice in the £25 or below range – a shame, given there are so many French wines in that price bracket that would have complemented this cuisine perfectly.

Other restaurants we like near Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel

Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Temper Covent Garden

Temper Covent Garden

The Ivy

The Ivy

Book Brasserie Max at the Covent Garden Hotel for people on at .