SquareMeal Review of Bleeding Heart Restaurant

The name references a murder hereabouts back in the 16th century, but there’s nothing gruesome about this glorious cellar restaurant – often described as one of London’s more romantic dining destinations. A series of subterranean rooms shows off bare-bricks and earthy colours, with flickering candles and real fires upping the mood – “I wouldn’t have it any other way”, notes a fan. The menu seduces with gently modern interpretations of French and European classics – think paupiette of smoked salmon enriched with Dorset crab and parsley sauce, “outstanding” steak tartare or pumpkin and butternut squash ravioli enriched with herby butter sauce. It’s a measure of the kitchen’s confidence that it can work its way through wild mushroom risotto, lemon sole meunière and côte de boeuf, before ending on a triumphantly patriotic note with crème brûlée and nougat glacé. The winning wine list is a bumper tome with classy French connections – the perfect accompaniment to something ripe from the monumental cheese trolley. In short, a “truly traditional” dining experience.

French

Sun Closed

Reviews of Bleeding Heart Restaurant

A favorite
12 February 2016
a great varied French menu with an outstanding Steak tartare. Very good for business meeting

Carly W

Not as spectacular as hoped
14 October 2013
I booked the Bleeding Heart for my partner and I with great excitement following great reviews on both the food and the fantastically romantic atmosphere. Unfortunately there was close to no atmosphere at all when we arrived (a half 7 booking on a Friday meant we were one of just three tables in our section), no music, and a cluster of staff very eager to help, but out-numbering the guests. As the evening progressed, the restaurant gradually got busier, so we felt less on show, but it still just wasn’t all I’d hoped. The courses themselves were great – excellent flavour combinations and the suggested wines alongside each course were excellent. The Bleeding Heart’s own New Zealand sparkling wine was beautiful! I’d probably go again, but with lower expectations for the décor/atmosphere.

Mr. Mark M

Bleeding Heart remains at the top of its game
18 July 2013
In terms of both food and wine, the Wilsons continue to turn out a first class experience

Ms/Mrs. Lizzy D

14 June 2013
This is a common favorite of my colleagues for work lunches and coffee but equally as nice for an evening dinner for 2. Simple and relaxed atmosphere with never failing mouth watering food. Never fails on delivering a great service and can be somewhere to trust time and time again.

Ms/Mrs. Lizzy D

Favourite for Business lunches and coffee
07 May 2013
I often book for my boss to eat and drink here, the food is always fantastic, the atmosphere chilled and relaxed without being too noisy and the friendly staff make it somewhere you can always come back to. A definate favourite for me.

Ms/Mrs. wendy P

12 December 2012
We were a small group having our annual Christmas get together. The service was excellent, as was the food and it was really atmospheric. Considering it was the run up to Christmas it was a very good evening – the only slight irritant is the wine list which starts at quite a pricey level.

Mr. Alex G

05 October 2012
Maybe I am becoming harder to please in my expectations from restaurants and indeed it would be fair to say that I came away from the Bleeding Heart having enjoyed a good meal, fine wines (perhaps too much) and very pleasant company. However, I couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed by the whole experience. When I sought to reflect on it, two things occurred to me: first, there was a tangible absence of a ‘wow factor’ or a ‘buzz’, the place felt somewhat sleepy, perhaps trading on past glories and certainly without the energy of many newer restaurants (such as the recently again-visited Pollen Street). Second, and perhaps more egregious was the diffident service. Per the above, one got the impression that the waiters were really not that bothered about the job they were doing. There was a wine spillage on a nearby table that we witnessed and the word sorry was not part of the vocabulary used. In terms of the food and wine, I would undoubtedly be more praiseworthy and in particular the main of maize-fed chicken, baby artichokes, spring onion risotto and red wine sauce was superb, both in terms of presentation and execution. The wine list also deserves favourable mention, not just for traditional French, but also interesting (and perhaps better value) options are available from countries such as Italy and New Zealand.

Mr. Guilherme B

27 October 2010
Went there yesterday lunchtime: rainy autumn day. The cosy, warm, subterranean, low-ceilinged room is a great place to get away from the cold and rain, comes into its own when the weather is bad. I have been here quite a lot over the years, and in my view anyone who classifies this as a “bistro” is sadly mistaken, it is a proper restaurant, with proper restaurant prices and pretentions which, sadly, it failed to be reflected in the delivery. I do agree that the Tinity Hill wines (not at all cheap) are the best value, especially the Pinot Noir. I also like the atmosphere very much – discreet, quite smart, warm tones, the odd familiar face. The food, however, is ordinary and rather meanly portioned. The lamb rump was ok but undistinguished, and the same can be said of the foie gras terrine. Each was under-seasoned and the starter failed to taste of much at all. Worst though, was the service from a “faux French” waitress who had no delicacy of manner, plonked plates before us reaching over the middle of the table, what a joke ! No Bistro, let alone restaurant with a name to protect, should allow untrained waiting staff loose on customers expecting (and paying) for something a bit less at odds with the rest of what the place is trying to achieve. Seems to me, though I don't mean to be mean or unfair, that standards are slipping -whether through hubris or because times are tough, I just do not know. I would love to be wrong, though.

Mr. Pa C

29 July 2010
Don't be fooled by the Bleeding Heat, it's a French Bistro of average quality masquerading masterfully as "arguably the best French in the City. I would argue that It isn't. I have been on two occasions, the first time I was unimpressed and to give it the benefit of doubt I went back and was again unimpressed. The best thing about this place is not the overpriced food or the oppressive dining room or the braying drunk barristers occupying almost every table, it is in fact the history of how it got its name. Lady Hatton was torn limb from limb by a jealous lover in the courtyard with her heart still pumping ie Bleeding Heart. It’s a macabre and fascinating tale, it’s just a shame that they built a restaurant around it.

Ms/Mrs. Richard A

06 February 2010
This really is a hidden gem and has quickly become one of my favourite restaurants in London. The restaurant , due to its many rooms, is perfect for any occasion from a romantic dinner to a business lunch. The food is always of a high standard and has a broad menu to cover most tastes. On this occasion I started with the scallops, perfectly cooked and displayed in the shell. For main I had beef cheeks in a red wine jus – tender and flavoursome. The cheese board is as extensive as I have ever seen. My partner had the fondant. This means you will need to wait around 20 minutes as they are cooked to order but it is definitely worth the wait. Service is attentive but not obtrusive and you are allowed to move at you own place. If you haven’t been – go !!! For a more casual experience try the bistro or tavern. They all deliver quality food in a great atmosphere.

Other restaurants near Bleeding Heart Restaurant

You are requesting to book Bleeding Heart Restaurant for people on at .