SquareMeal Review of Bleeding Heart Bistro

Quirky and colourful, this classically styled French bistro could almost be a set from the hit movie Amélie. Inside, vintage posters line the ochre walls, table settings show off the tricolore palette and there are wine bottles everywhere; the outside area is a delight in summer, when lobster and rosé are the top shouts at tables on the cobbles. The offer may be a little corny but it "always delivers". Of course, the food is straight out of the bourgeois French repertoire, so expect the likes of moules marinière or asparagus with hollandaise sauce ahead of omelette aux fines herbes, lapin à la moutarde or salade niçoise. Retro also rules when it comes to desserts such as petit pot au chocolat with whipped cream. Wine lovers can take advantage of the full cellars at the Bleeding Heart restaurant across the way. "Top service" too.

French

Reviews of Bleeding Heart Bistro

Jo

Memorably Bad Dinner Experience
11 November 2019

It was meant to be a celebration dinner but turned out a great disappointment. The atmosphere was subdued for a Saturday night, but we quickly realised why the Bistro was half-empty: the Escargots was a disastrous starter - a tasteless mess of shrivelled blobs looking like they came right out of the micro oven. No appetising sizzle, none of the glorious smell of hot garlic butter... and served with cold stale bread too. The Ribeye Steak - the best steak on the Menu - was a grey, tired mass of tough matter, clearly grilled for too long at the wrong temperature; it was served with over-salted soggy chips and Bearnaise although we asked for peppercorn sauce. The Chocolate mousse gave us a glimpse of what we were hoping for that evening: a subtle, well-balanced beauty of a dish, a genuinely memorable finale to an otherwise memorably bad dinner experience. Add the indifferent service and you won't be inclined to come again.  In response to my bad review the management sent me a groveling apology promising "to sort this out" - but I've never heard from them again. What a birthday celebration...

Ms/Mrs. claire B

Vegan Friendly
09 August 2017
One of our guests happen to be Vegan, we called the Bleeding heart and they advised it wasn't a problem, Upon arrival the guest didn't fancy the options on the menu, we started to think this was a disaster and would have to leave, but the waitress went and spoke to the chef who came up with additional items our guest could eat. The chef made up some vegan friendly food for the guest which he loved, in fact had the rest of the guests feeling jealous with the deciously looking vegan friendly fresh made food. The chef managed to save the day with his quick thinking! Everyone enjoyed the food all in all a nice restaurant.

Ms/Mrs. Lynn W

Local appointment
15 May 2017
We had an appointment round the corner and I remembered liking this place a few years ago, so thought it would work for dinner. The location is nice in an off-road courtyard, the welcome was good, the atmosphere busy even on a Wednesday evening and we were hopeful for a decent bistro dinner. Our starters were fine, nothing special. I had the prawn and avocado cocktail, served in a tall Martini glass which is a bit awkward to eat from, and which I realised didn't have any avocado in it once I'd got to the bottom, and the salmon gravadlax with beetroot was said to be quite good. Then we both had the confit duck leg with Provencal vegetables as a side. It wasn't very hot and to be honest the duck was a bit firm, rather than the melting and tender dish we were expecting. With a carafe of wine and plenty of chat we were OK and had enough to eat but overall it was a bit average.

David H

Everything OK but the food
09 October 2016
We needed a restaurant in this part of London yesterday at lunch , and whilst I first checked out the Bleeding Heart restaurant , I was disappointed that it doesn't open Saturday lunchtime and so the bistro was booked. The place is Ok-not luxurious, but I'd imagine it could well be atmospheric with more people in it. The service was brisk and pleasant. Decent bread, reasonable coffee. The menu has the sort of food its easy to like- food that's been around for decades. Which brings us to the quality of that food. It was I'm afraid just downright poor. We each had two courses, a soup and a main course. The soups were unexciting , but the mains (navarin of lamb, and salmon cod fishcake) and were monumentally dull. My navarin , supposedly accompanied by roast vegetables was accompanied by nothing though to be fair there were veg in the sauce. It was however not terribly pleasant and frankly I had better stews at school dinners than this restaurant turned out yesterday. The wine we chose - 500cc of a New Zealand Pinot Noir was also dull. We were asked twice whether we enjoyed the food. I'm afraid we ducked it and just mumbled "fine" - in reality needed time to consider how to respond appropriately. Our bill came to £75. If what we'd eaten had been tasty then fair enough , but there's no fair price for bad food .So poor value too. Go again? Not likely. Whether on a quiet Saturday lunch we got the real chef I can't say. But what I can say is that the people preparing our food yesterday were not sending out decent food and either they didn't know or didn't care. I wonder whether Bleeding Heart might think about what influence a poor meal here might have on the perceptions of its other outlets. Certainly I was far from impressed that a renowned restaurant would tolerate what we experienced yesterday under the same umbrella. As my wife said as we walked away "we'd have been better off at Pizza Express".

Sophie M

A fantastic place for an informal business lunch
30 April 2015
This was my first visit to the Bleeding Heart restaurant and I will definitely be going there again and recommending to others. From the start, the staff were extremely attentive and helpful. The food was lovely, full of flavour and presented very well. This was improved further by the £21 for 2 courses deal. The atmosphere was very relaxed and quiet conversations could be had whilst not feeling like everyone could hear you. Highly recommend, and I would like to visit this restaurant in the evening.

Nia S

25 July 2014
I dined here yesterday, I had the asparagus for starter which was a let down – it was overcooked and had no seasoning at all on it, I thought a splash of olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper would have done the job. I also ordered it with vinagrette but was given Bearnaise. The main course however was delicious, I had the pan fried seabass with Provencal vegetables. The skin on the sea bass wasn't crispy, so tasted a bit soggy but the flavours were spot on. As for the dessert – wow. That was by far the highlight, it took me back to being in the South of France – fantastic. The terrace is a lovely outside area and as the sun shone down on us it was a great overall ambience. The service was very good and overall an enjoyable experience. I would definitely go here again.

Ms/Mrs. Alice G

06 September 2013
Beautiful alfresco setting with a lovely warm welcome and the best service I have received in a restaurant in a long time. Food and wine were delicious – not one single complaint to be made!

Ms/Mrs. Tanya B

Rudest customer service I've ever experienced
01 September 2013
As a pregnant lady I requested my steak well done. When it arrived it was still a bit pink so requested it was cooked a little more. The manager said it couldn't be cooked more but I explained I was pregnant and couldn't eat it as it was. When he brought it back he presented it and said voila in a rather sarcastic manner. A little later I told him I was not happy with the way he spoke to me, to which he replied “I didn't like how you spoke to me, I am not your slave”. You can imagine my outrage but rather than cause a scene I bit my tongue but believe me I will never step foot in there again.

Ms/Mrs. Tessa F

17 July 2012
Good food, but not great food. My evening began with a slightly bland salad-based starter – probably an ordering error to be fair. My main was great – excellent steak with knock-out dauphinoise – everyone loves dauphinoise… and the wine list did the job. Whilst the staff were attentive, they were not very good at assisting with menu choices, not knowing the dishes as well as they should have. One member of our party ordered a side salad, when her dish came with a side salad already – too much salad! The menu didn't tell us that, and the waitress failed to point this out – a bit of a waste really… must do better smiley waitress! Otherwise very pleasant and a solid choice for an early evening meal. Loving the back passage entrance!

Mr. Tom R

16 September 2008
The Bleeding Heart Bistro is not somewhere you go only once… … or twice! If you like hearty french peasant food (like most people do), then the Bistro is for you! Without the reverance of it parent next door, the Bistro is more like the bar tabac next to the Stade de France rather than the directors box! The waiters call to each other in French and enjoy friendly banter with more courageous patrons (I made a flippant remark about the state of french rugby and was heckled all night!) The food is everything you'd expect and more. Although it may show less finesse than the restaurant, the bistro still packs a punch in flavour and offers all the classics – salad nicoise, cassoulet, steak frites, duck confit etc. all is cooked to a fantastic standard and the portions are far from stingy! The wine list is bottomless and the sommelier's eyes will light up if you let him guide you on a journey festooned with big burgundies and bordeauxs. A smashing place with smashing staff and smashing cooking. I've got their number on speed-dial!

Other restaurants near Bleeding Heart Bistro

You are requesting to book Bleeding Heart Bistro for people on at .