Bistro Vadouvan

French

About Bistro Vadouvan

It may boast Indian owners (including the guy behind Hammersmith’s Potli), but don’t be fooled: Bistro Vadouvan deals in classic French dishes masterfully elevated with Middle Eastern and Asian spice. The room gives nothing away – electric-blue banquettes, a big open kitchen and quarry-tile flooring are welcoming yet unspectacular. However, from the first dish, we sat up and paid attention. Our steak tartare ranked among the most original we’ve had – adroitly seasoned chopped steak with diced spring onion and pickled chilli, layered on soft slivers of aubergine and topped with crunchy sliced almonds. Chef Durga Misra worked at Brasserie Chavot (RIP) and it shows in dishes such as soft brill with prawn ravioli in an umami-packed coconut broth, a creation that wouldn’t look out of place in a swanky West End destination. For dessert, we recommend Bistro Vadouvan’s pitch-perfect île flottante with candied nuts and caramel sauce. Excellent brunch and alfresco tables astride the river complete a tremendous package – “finally Putney Wharf has somewhere worth visiting”, cheers a fan.

Good to know about Bistro Vadouvan

French
Quiet conversation
Group dining [8+]
Outside seating, Waterside

Location for Bistro Vadouvan

30 Brewhouse Lane, London, SW15 2JX

Opening Times of Bistro Vadouvan

Tues-Fri 12N-3pm 5.30-10.30pm Sat-Sun 12N-10pm (Sun -8pm)

Reviews of Bistro Vadouvan

18 December 2017

Four of us went for dinner here just before christmas 2017 and what a treat! The food is exceptional. Not one dish that we ordered disappointed and we all had three courses and all ordered different things. I had a prawn and crab salad which doesn't sound very interesting but the way it was prepared made it incredibly tasty. The cerviche was also beautifully presented and delicious. As a vegetarian I had baked butternut squash which doesn't sound very interesting but again they had added so many spices and extra vegetables for flavour. The lamb was also exceptional. The puddings were great - I had a passionfruit cheesecake whilst one of my party tried a sponge pudding with a christmas twist which I tried and thought was memorably delicious. The only thing that lets this restaurant down is the decor. I think they moved into the premise of a spanish tapas bar and have not yet redecorated but to be honest it was a small price to pay for such excellent food. It woundn't take much to make the restaurant feel and look more contemporary. Hats off to the chefs who are doing an amazing job - Putney has been waiting for a restaurant like this!!

15 October 2017

I very rarely write reviews, despite having dined at pretty much every top restaurant in London, as my general opinion is that there's no point re-iterating what everyone else has already said. In this case, however, I feel I must make an exception. My wife and I went here when our plans got cancelled last minute, as it's just down the road and amazingly, I thought at the time, they had a table for 2 at 8pm on a Saturday. Everything about the place was brilliant; delicious food (the steak tartare with smoked aubergine is one of the best starters I've had this year), great wine, friendly and attentive service and amazing value for money. The only thing we didn't like was how empty it was. Despite it being Saturday night, the place was less than 25% full. I understand that the location is not the best, at the bottom of an ugly, modern block of flats, sandwiched between a ghastly Wetherspoons and a Carluccio's, but with high street rents being so high these days, this is, unfortunately, what small, independent restaurants have to do and, once inside, you really don't notice. Also, there is absolutely no competition nearby. Putney is a restaurant desert, with nothing else decent for miles around. The nearest cooking of this quality is in Fulham, at either the Harwood Arms or River Cafe and both of those are about twice the price. Whilst I love the idea that I can get a last minute table at a great local restaurant, I fear that if more people don't discover this hidden gem, it won't be around for long. So, people of South-West London, I implore you to visit Vadouvan and rejoice in the fact that finally Putney has somewhere worth dining.

30 July 2017

A wonderful lunch for 6 of us on a very wet day. Every dish was delicious, the service was charming and efficient and it was extremely good value. Easily the best restaurant in Putney and it deserves to succeed. We shall return and shall recommend it wholeheartedly to all our friends.

Other restaurants near Bistro Vadouvan

You are requesting to book Bistro Vadouvan for people on at