Applebee's Fish

Fish

About Applebee's Fish

Seafood is definitely the name of the game at this family-run outfit, which has been doing a sterling job on Borough Market for many a year. Comprising a fishmonger’s and café under one roof, it’s a dead cert for foodies and tourists looking for something fresh off the slab or cooked to order in a colourful setting of tiled walls and orange banquettes squeezed close together; you can also sit at one of the kerbside tables under the canopy and watch the world go by. The menu changes each day, depending on the catch – oysters, prawns, tuna, sea bass, and so on – and dishes are accompanied by vegetables from the market where appropriate; at lunchtime, they will also cook just about anything that takes your fancy from the fresh counter (orders permitting).

Good to know about Applebee's Fish

Fish

Location for Applebee's Fish

5 Stoney St London, London, SE1 9AA

Opening Times of Applebee's Fish

Thurs-Sat 12N-10pm (Fri 11.30am-10.30pm)

Reviews of Applebee's Fish

Ms/Mrs. Amy M

You can't get fresher unless you caught it yourself
02 March 2017
I don't really want to write a review as I kind of like the fact that far too few people realise there is a delicious restaurant serving the Borough Market Shopper behind the fish counter. I took clients for lunch and all of them said "I didn't know that this was here!". Everyone knows about the scrummy street stalls outside of this joint plying fresh Cajun prawn or garlic seafood wrap with a fabulous fishmonger just inside, but few venture into the bowels. The restaurant has a regularly updated menu, great specials on the board and the possibility of ordering from the fish counter should something particularly catch your eye. I had an enormous (for me) portion of pan fried turbot with sweet potato mash and brown shrimps, which was both crispy, rich and refreshing with the salty samphire accompaniment. One of my companions ordered the Mixed Seafood Platter special, which was so mouthwatering that even as I write I am having to swallow. I had to steal a mouthful, the scallops were the most sweet and succulent I have ever had, coupled with a juicy madagascan king prawn, as big as your head, that had been marinated to perfection. The wine list has plenty on offer (unusually) under £30 - we had a very decent Muscadet for £25 - from around the globe and so the whole meal is incredible value. Admittedly, none of us opted for starters, and some think that the main courses are a little steep, but unless you really are a guzzle guts, you really don't need them. Plus, you would have to really begrudge the money for such fresh fish treated so well. Please don't go and let me keep it to myself... precious.

Ms/Mrs. Nicki T

Good
02 February 2017
Booked table for my boss and his client, really enjoyed the food and would go again. Good atmosphere and service was great.

Peaceful, quality spot in Borough Market
30 July 2016
I'm surprised there hasn't been a recent review! We ate as a group of 4 on a Friday evening - it was much more peaceful than the local pubs which were spilling people onto the street in Borough Market! Seafood is the obvious thing to have here - starters were scallops and bacon, grilled squid and fresh crab - all tasted as good as they looked. mains were the special - trout with samphire, plus sea bass and cod; so good we took a photo of it! Grilled zucchini were hot and crispy on the side. Wine was a bottle of cold Picpoul; excellent choice for fish. With service it ended up as just over £100 per couple; a fair reflection of the quality.

Mr. Roy B

Fish is us
26 November 2013
Arrived on time and table was ready. Pleasant greeting. Ordered South African Chenin which was so good we had a second bottle. Warned that Fish Pie would take 20 minutes to prepare and the wait was worthwhile for 3 of us. Packed with fish and not too much moisture and mashed potato topping grilled to perfection. The fish and chips ordered by our fourth diner arrived with the fish pies and was superb with very white cod again cooked beautifully. Individual apple pies followed, lovely presentation. Spent 2 very agreeable hours and we all agreed how very nice it was with good service. Hope to eat there again.

Ms/Mrs. Maggie M

22 April 2013
Applebee's Fish is a great place to drop by for either a quick bite or a long, lazy lunch. The quality of the produce is top notch and the chefs will be happy to cook something from the display counter at market price as the cafe doubles up as a fishmongers. The food is very seasonal and the menu changes often, with a couple of star performers that no doubt remain on the menu due to popular demand. I chose to have mackerel with chorizo and broad beans and a side of mixed leaf salad. The flavours married together beautifully and the mackerel fillets were divine. My side salad probably was a bit overpowered by the amount of fennel in it and left little to the imagination in the way of herbs. My two guests both enjoyed the fillet of cod in batter with chips and mushy peas. The fish was fresh and the batter had the perfect amount of crunch, all sat on a generous helping of chips. Delicious. The table next to us had a generous helping of breaded whitebait to share and food envy definitely got the better of us. Just my luck to be spotted drooling over someone else's food, to my surprise I ended up being offered the first pick of the whitebait leaving me feeling very grateful and also a little embarrassed… Not overpriced, this little cafe in Borough Market offers some fantastic lunchtime and dinner offers making it all the more appealing as your purse is not doubt feeling a little lighter after wandering around the market stalls. All in all, a fantastic little venue with an ever changing menu in a wonderful location. Will visit again.

Other restaurants near Applebee's Fish

You are requesting to book Applebee's Fish for people on at