Amerigo Vespucci

Italian

About Amerigo Vespucci

Owner Giovanni loved sailing on the good ship Amerigo Vespucci so much in 1966 that he named his restaurant in its honour. Now into its third decade, this Docklands Italian sees no need to update its menu, so expect a familiar mix of trattoria classics and international staples from days gone by – from calamari fritti, penne all'arrabbiata, saltimbocca alla Romana and calf's liver veneziana to avocado Monte Carlo, lobster thermidor and scampi provençale. Desserts also follow the theme, from strega-spiked pannacotta to crème brûlée. The good food and hospitable Italian service are part of the attraction, but so too is the waterside terrace lined with olive trees. Also, we think this may be the only restaurant in the Docklands where flambéing never went out of fashion – you can have your sea bass set alight like a pirate ship in the Caribbean.

Good to know about Amerigo Vespucci

Opening Times of Amerigo Vespucci

Mon-Fri 12N-3pm Mon-Sat 6-11pm

Reviews of Amerigo Vespucci

26 April 2018

I booked Amerigo Vespucci for my mums' 70th Birthday, when we arrived we were shown to our seats, it was nice to see that they checked the booking as they noted it was my mums birthday and offered us a glass each of prosecco to go with our meal. My mum declined as doesn't drink (diabetic), but we thanked the waiter nonetheless. The time we waited for our food was quite long between courses but when the food came it was out of this world. My mum said that she had never experienced Garlic Bread like it and I would have to agree with her and our mains were gorgeous. For dessert I went for the Tiramisu and it was out of this world and the presentation of it was excellent. My mum and dad went for ice cream. The service unfortunately different from the gentlemen who showed us to our seats, the young gentlemen couldn't get away quick enough after delivering food and didn't hear us when we called him back and when we ordered our dessert with the young lady, my dad asked how many scoops of ice cream you received and she replied 3, my dad ordered pistachio and vanilla and my mum ordered just vanilla, when they arrived my mum had only 1 scoop of vanilla and my dad 2 scoops of pistachio. We didn't complain as I needed to get back to work. I would definitely come again no doubt about it and my parents said that they would like to come and work their way through the menu. Amerigo Vespucci has been my favourite restaurant out of all the restaurants of the Wharf since my company moved here 8 years ago. Thank you

21 January 2014

This is a very good restaurant. It's a ‘next-door Italian’ type, but attention to detail, quality of food and service lift it onto the next level. My meal – spaghetti alle vongole, salad and panna cotta for dessert – was perfect: fresh, beautifully cooked and appetisingly presented. Wine – a Rocco Delle Macie Vermentino f'12 – was an excellent match had four (count them) amari, so I had two serves of Amaro Lucano. The whole thing, with water, bread, olives and coffee, came to jut under 80 pounds. I'll be back!

14 May 2012

Personally I would say if your looking for a real Italian Restaurant on the Wharf.. Amerigo Vespucci is the one. Friendly service, waiters and waitresses are always bend over backwards to see for your needs. Food is Great, Daily Specials are excellent, Good Italian pasta which is delicious… You really could be sitting in a restaurant in Italy. Value for money… Not at all that expensive compared to other Prices on the Wharf and you really do get a good portion of food. If the sun is shinning, then book early to get a table outside… Great river side views. Staff remember you and we even get a complimentary drink on the house… Web site does offers, sign up to there News letter, For instance, last deal I got was a complimentary Antipasto starter.. Well worth it! Love this place. Think they are doing some work to the out door area, Covered bar area, possibly getting ready for the Olympics… Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Thanks Amerigo

28 July 2011

Went there last night with my husband. Started with a very good kir + bread and olives as the sun broke through the clouds – lovely! Bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar left on the table so the dipping saucer could be topped up ad lib. Starters of mushroom bruschetta with goats cheese and mushroom risotto were both wonderful, great flavours and good ingredients. Followed these with aged steak and a veal chop, sides of oven baked parmesan mash (which was really wonderful) and french beans. Meat of good quality and cooked as ordered. No room for pud but coffee comes with amaretti and biscotti. Add in an excellent bottle of Barolo and the total including service was a very reasonable £128. Service was attentive but unobtrusive – so many places find this difficult – which just added to the general sense of wellbeing we had by the end of the meal. Lovely quiet part of the Wharf serving real food – bliss! We'll be back.

14 March 2011

It's local for us..We used to frequent it a lot…but not so much lately… And when we do go it's more because we have a ‘feel sorry’ sentiment towards this place rather than going out for a good meal . It used to be an OK place…It used to be our nearest italian,,,,..The staff used to be Italian …They used to be rushing around…They used to be busy…they used to cook a decent bit of food…you can see where I'm coming from ? The cooking standards have gone downhill. The menu needs changing..The staff need educating about the menu and they need to speak English. All in all it's a crying shame. There is roon at the Wharf for a good Italian. ( no Jamies is not ! ) Perhaps it has got oo comfortable with the expectant lunch runs and the good location ? .. But for weekend dining it's needs to sort itself out ..I'd love to see the returm of the old restaurant that was…sonner rather than later…or else it will lose more and more customers.

Other restaurants near Amerigo Vespucci

You are requesting to book Amerigo Vespucci for people on at