Yang Sing

Chinese·

SquareMeal Review of Yang Sing

Critically acclaimed since opening in the early 1980s, Yang Sing has long been synonymous with good Cantonese cookery in central Manchester. The dining room is vast, and the menu similarly lengthy. The restaurant specialises in dim sum, and a sharing platter didn’t disappoint: cuttlefish cake was coated in crisp panko breadcrumbs; steamed Shanghai-style pork dumpling had been enriched with black truffle; and steamed prawn red-root spinach dumpling tasted fresh and light. Appetisers, however, were hit and miss: salt and pepper pork belly ribs seemed under-seasoned, while a steamed scallop with premium soy and green bean vermicelli was salty (although not unpleasantly so). Mains courses delivered bags of flavour: double-cooked crispy chilli beef was chewy and slightly sweet with a good balance of heat; spicy lemongrass chicken was tender and fragrant. With its brisk, understated service, large tables, and good-value banqueting options, Yang Sing is especially suited to larger groups.

Chinese

Yang Sing is featured in

Location

34 Princess Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M1 4JY

Mon-Sun 12N-11.30pm (Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews

Simon D

02 November 2021
Food & Drink 0.5
Service 0.5
Atmosphere 0.5
Value 0.5
It doesn't even look like the picture above.

I'm sorry but this is awful. From the food to the staff to the decor to the price, this is exactly the kind of place that should be closed down. Plain and simple. Good restaurants, sod that, average restaurants are losing business as long as this place stays open. We arrived, shown the table in a near-empty sad vault of a room that resembled a 70s function hall. We asked the waiter what he would recommend from a vast menu (surprisingly lacking in many vegetable options, despite its size). His reply, I've only been here 3 months, I've never tried the food. But I do like Sushi (sic). Another waiter appeared, we gave her our order, she said, I won't have that it's too Chinese, or if you like tofu, I would have the prawns and saffron (I kid you not.) In fact, twice she would point out a completely different meat dish when we ordered a fish dish. Naturally, the vegetarian Ma Po came with pork, less expected was the argument with the manager over whether it was pork or not.

Leaving a restaurant had never been so sweet

Call Yang Sing to make a booking on: