The Tommyfield

Gastropub

SquareMeal Review of The Tommyfield

Part of a select chain of south London gastropubs, this attractive Victorian boozer plays to the local Kennington crowd with decent pub grub, well-kept cask ales & friendly service. The raised perimeter seating is favoured by diners, or those enjoying a pint & a chat; groups & sports fans gravitate towards the main space. The best bets on the menu are the daily fish, grill or pie specials. The latter might include chicken & mushroom, or a creditable potato-topped fish pie. There’s always a juicy burger & a couple of steaks among the grills, & the catch of the day often offers three choices, served battered or grilled, with chips or salad.

Good to know about The Tommyfield

Gastropub
Group dining [8+]

Location for The Tommyfield

185 Kennington Lane, London, SE11 4EZ

Opening Times of The Tommyfield

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Thurs -12M Fri-Sat -1am Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of The Tommyfield

Mr. Mark D

Local's local
24 February 2016
Neighbourhood gastropub with a good line in pies. My chicken one was delicious and a silver cup of chips with cabbage sent all the right messages too. Service was well meaning but haphazard, and certain question and answer sessions added a comic element. Who would have thought that mushy greens, as opposed to what we presumed might be mushy peas, was of course mash and greens?!

A Kennington local
03 January 2016
The Tommyfield is a staple for all Kennington residents as one of our few local choices. They do decent steaks and burgers and have some really interesting starter choices. We would probably go more often if the service wasn't so terribly disorganised and unprofessional. But if you are in the area and fancy a good burger or pie and a decent wine and cocktail, it is your right choice if you have some time and there is no football on.

Ellen F

A mixed bag
06 October 2014
It's become hard to write a review about a burger as burgers have been so successfully re-integrated into the modern menu that it's become the norm for them to be brilliant and any review becomes an exercise in tinkering with the usual "great meat, great bun, great sauce" formula. This review though is going to be easy, but sadly for the wrong reason. This is the first burger I have had for a long time that just wasn't very good. I was desperately hungover arriving at The Tommyfield and a meal I could mindlessly pick up and shovel into my mouth was the obvious choice. Only when it came I couldn't really pick it up because within 2 minutes the bun had totally disintegrated. I ended up having to eat the meat with a knife and fork which is an absolute SIN in Burgerland and defeats the whole purpose of the dish. Disaster. I'm afraid the meat was a bit flavourless and I couldn't find much else to redeem the burger. Chips were OK but the best bit was the pint of Coca-Cola and the refreshingly low bill- £33.47 total for me and my sister-in-law (she had a pie which she said was great). I sort of like The Tommyfield but I'm not wholly sold on it. We were in a dark spot which was good for the hangover but the tables on the raised platform next to the floor to ceiling windows would be better. There's a large open area near the bar which makes it feel airy but also seems more suited to a crowded, standing only Friday night gang. Worse, on the Sunday afternoon we were in there was a huge pull down screen showing football (why oh why are pubs still doing this? subjecting everyone to a sport they haven't chosen to watch when those who do can go home and watch it on TV?). Service was a bit patchy and hard to get attention when you needed it although friendly enough. I'd probably go back as this place is not a bad choice but I'd go more out of convenience than desire.

Mr. Kevin M

26 April 2014
I go quite often to the Tommyfield for so many reasons, the place is cool, delicious food, You can order drinks and pay at the end, there is a waiter service for drinks when you get a table, Staff are so friendly, other punters are friendly, cocktails are great, there is great comedy night upstairs every week, its dog friendly etc. I could go on and on but I decided to review it because sometimes you forget to review the good ones and I realised that I should have done this a long time ago.

A good old boozer
18 February 2013
The Tommyfield is one of the office's local boozers, so I'm used to propping up the bar but hadn't eaten there until the boss decided he was bored with and and even . Food: good stuff. As it was a Friday, and he's very traditional, the boss went for fish ‘n’ chips having first double-checked it was fresh, not frozen. Quickly beaten by a mountain of what looked like damn fine deep-dried carbohydrates, he declared himself a happy bunny. I had a winter vegetable lasagne, which was both a hell of a portion, and tasty with it. Environment: cold. The Tommyfield is a _big_ old space. No radiators were on, the doors flap like John Wayne-style saloon louvres in a Kansas gale, and it was brass monkeys outside. Don't let this stop you going, just wrap up warm. Service: good. i.e. not in your face, and not hard to find. Unfussed about the arctic conditions though.

Mr. robert Y

10 August 2011
this is our local pub and eating place so we have been here countless times – food is nearly always spot on, service is generally great, but depends on who is there at the time, it can be slow at times even when it isnt busy (we have watched our drinks sit at the bar while staff chat to each other) The menu is great – nice range of dishes and it changes from time to time shame the kitchen shuts down before 9pm on Sundays (even on Band Holiday weekends)…even the Dog House across the road serves food after that…

Other restaurants near The Tommyfield

You are requesting to book The Tommyfield for people on at .