The Pearson's Arms

SquareMeal Review of The Pearson's Arms

After years as a battered old seaside boozer, the Pearson’s Arms is now leading a new life as one of Whitstable’s more stylish destinations – courtesy of TV chef Richard Phillips. From the outside you probably wouldn’t give this place a second glance, but the bland exterior hides a cheerful mix of open fires, wood floors, sturdy tables, old-school chairs & leather sofas, with a spacious, light-filled dining room providing sea views & classic gastropub food. The menu is a judicious mix of European ideas, with seasonality taking centre stage. Chalked up on the board might be lobster & prawn cocktail or shellfish bisque, with mains of wild boar & apple sausages, cod & chips or slow-roast belly pork. There are plenty of affordable wines on offer, with a reasonable selection by the glass.

Fish, Gastropub

Reviews of The Pearson's Arms

AnnaStanning

Loved it
28 June 2019

I was with my colleagues conducting a photo shoot in Whitstable and there was time to grab some lunch at The Pearson's Arms. As a large team we ordered a selection of light bites and larger meals and everyone shared and dug into whatever they felt like. I feel like I tried a real cross section of dishes from lobster pasta to a chicken wrap, Oysters and insanely perfect triple cooked chips. It was exceptionally good. Every dish has been given care and thought, the flavours were well balanced with interesting textures and such beautiful presentation on the plate. I'm already planning my next trip back with my family. Lovely venue relaxed, unassuming but with fantastically good food. What a secret find!

Mr. David L

15 August 2010
I went to this restaurant with a friend on 13th August 2010 at the end of a nice day in Whitstable. The dining room is nicely presented and the head waiter/owner was lovely and friendly and gave us a nice sea-view table. We ordered beer-battered fish and chips with peas at £14 each, but unfortunately the food did not live up to the setting or the price at all. The oil used to fry the food was stale. I didn't complain about this because I wasn't sure the oil was off until halfway through eating the food, and by then it seemed too late to complain. When the owner / head waiter had to leave the building for a few moments, the young staff put on aggressive music and turned it up way too loud for a restaurant. I had to get up and ask them to turn it down – in fact, I had to find them first as they were all downstairs chatting in the entrance area rather than keeping an eye on their diners. The owner was later very apologetic and deducted the service charge from the bill, but overall this was a thoroughly disappointing experience. We would have been much better off getting takeaway fish and chips and eating it on the beach. I hope this review helps the restaurant to improve their offering. davidluxembourg at hotmail dot com

Other restaurants near The Pearson's Arms

You are requesting to book The Pearson's Arms for people on at .