The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant

Modern European

Call The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant to make a booking on:

About The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant

Set among gorgeous gardens, ancient woodlands and seven acres of vineyards, this stunningly restored 14th-century barn on Sir Kenneth and Lady Carla Carlisle’s estate is an out-of-the-way gem. In addition to home-produced Wyken wines, expect impeccably sourced seasonal food with the emphasis on flavour and a bias towards genuinely local ingredients: crispy pig’s head with rhubarb, kohlrabi rémoulade and radish; rack and belly of Wyken lamb with sprouting broccoli and wild garlic; fillet of hake with saffron potatoes, red pepper and spinach; glazed passion fruit tart with white chocolate mousse. It’s an impressive output, given the diminutive dimensions of the kitchen. Alternatively, take advantage of the daytime café (open until 5.30pm) if you’re after breakfast, a simple lunch (Wyken venison sausages, salmon fishcakes etc) or something sweet from the array of home-baked goodies. Service keeps it casual and kids are more than welcome – they will love the sheep, llamas and peacocks running around. There’s an excellent ‘country store’ on-site and the local farmers’ market pitches up here every Saturday morning.

Good to know about The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant

Reviews of The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant

Mr. Jay G

Superb
14 January 2014
Loved our meal here – and have eaten many times at lunch and dinner… Good value for top notch local food, with friendly service… The best place in this part of the world, and very much deserved to win ‘Best Restaurant in Suffolk’ recently.

Ms/Mrs. Victoria P

14 July 2011
If you eat at this restaurant please CHECK YOUR BILL. My husband and I were charged twice for two of our courses and consequently overcharged almost £50. When we returned a few days later to obtain our refund we were met by a manager who was pretty unabashed by our experience. We wont be returning.

Ms/Mrs. Joy G

05 March 2010
It was a special anniversary lunch, and we were both very disappointed with the meal. Nothing really wrong with the way it was cooked except my rack of lamb was not that tender. Moreover it was the fact that for £20 for the main meal all I got was the lamb and one roast potato. I mean, come on, that is bordering on the mean. I did get some green beans but all I felt I got was some meat, when some more potatoes would have been nice. We did not have a pudding because we just felt let down by the price and the fact that it was just lamb and no real sauce or anything else. I am aware that it is good to just taste the meat or fish, but I can do that at home. When I go out I do like the think that the chef has taken a bit more trouble. Of course we said nothing because it was our anniversary, and so it just spoils it even more if we complained. It is a lovely place to be and the farmers market is great, but no way would I return. I think it is pretentious, and would much rather travel to find places that are value for money, such as Galton Blackstons Morston Hall. His food is amazing and I have enjoyed many meals there with absolutely no complaint at all. I overheard the owner telling someone that some Friday nights are quiet. Not surprised at all if that is what they offer. I would not return there for a meal.

Mr. Rod T

02 September 2009
Our recent visit (31st August 2009) to the restaurant was a luncheon myself and my wife were giving as a thank you treat to my brother and sister-in-law for house and dog sitting whilst we were on holiday. Having been to the restaurant a few times before we were looking forward to good food, however, this time I was very disappointed. The Mint and Pea soup tasted of neither, in fact was more like dishwater, certainly nothing like the flavour and texture of the Mint & Pea soup I make at home. The Scallop and Chorizo starter while tasty (well you cannot go too far wrong with Chorizo!) was rather lacking in content and not worth the relative high price tag on it. For the main course, the Sea Bass I had was well cooked, but nothing special. I also tasted both the rabbit and the pork dishes in which the meat in both was overcooked and dry. The desserts also were nothing to write home about. I had the summer pudding which can either be stunning or average. This unfortunately was average. My dining companions had the Choc Pot and Strawberry Granita and various Sorbets and Ice Creams which they all enjoyed. My view is that we definitely did not get value for money this time, and that we could have gotten food at least as good, if not better, at some pubs. I felt that the standard had dropped significantly yet maintaining high quality prices, playing on its former reputation and the air of a high quality establishment. We enjoy visiting good restaurants, but I am afraid this one will no longer feature on our list.

Other restaurants near The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant

You are requesting to book The Leaping Hare Vineyard Restaurant for people on at