SquareMeal Review of The Jugged Hare

“Fantastic place, really different, but not for the faint-hearted (unless you’re a complete carnivore)”, says a fan of The Jugged Hare – a well-polished gastropub from the ETM group, who also run the nearby Chiswell Street Dining Rooms. With its stag’s heads on the bare brick walls and strung-up rabbits by the toilets, it’s an unabashed celebration of huntin’, fishin’ and shootin’, with “top-quality game” as a standout feature of the seasonal menu: grouse, wild duck and venison shank (with crushed turnip cake and Cumberland sauce) all have their moment, but don’t miss the titular jugged hare – an extremely rich concoction served with heaps of creamy mash, cabbage and bacon. Starters of Brixham scallops, black pudding and cauliflower are filling and well-seasoned, while puds include sweet banoffee pie with salted caramel drizzle. Portions are huge, wines are carefully paired to each dish, staff are “faultless” and the whole place “delivers every time”.

Gastropub
Fun, Lively, Traditional
Breakfast, Late night dining, Sunday roast
Food Hygiene Rating

Location for The Jugged Hare

49 Chiswell Street, London, EC1Y 4SA

Mon-Sun 11am-11pm (Thurs-Sat -12M Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of The Jugged Hare

Ainsley J

02 July 2019
Had been in other ETM Group pubs and bars, The Gun until sold was a regular of mine, went to the Hare for Sunday lunch and was not disappointed at all, it came very close to Roast but for a fraction of the price, will deinfitely return there again.

ANDREW G

31 July 2018
It's pricey for a 'gastropub' but the quality of the meat and fish - and the generous portions - together with the enthusiastic service, make this an ever-present on my business lunch list.

Ariana A

27 June 2018
Tasty food and pleasant decor at this lovely gastro pub.

Ling O

27 June 2018
Great service. Food on robust side but perfectly decent.

Joseph H

09 May 2017
Great meat.

Richard E

A fair Sunday roast
13 July 2016
A few years back I was on a quest to find the best French bistro in London: the opening of Blandford Comptoir has settled that particular issue. So now, I am on the quest to find the quintessential Sunday Roast. Having tried Blacklock's seriously excellent offering last week, it was the turn of the Jugged Hare this. There are three ingredients needed for the perfect Sunday roast: (1) the meat; (2) the spuds; and (3) the gravy. Yes there are Yorkshire puds and veg as well, but they are merely accompaniments, bit players, hangers on - acolytes to the holy trinity. Pork, with thick, super crunchy cracking is hard to beat, and the middlewhite at Blacklocks was perfection. No pork on the menu at the JH, so we tried the mutton and the chicken. I find lamb (or beef indeed) difficult for a roast, as there will always be people who want it at differing degrees of doneness, meaning that there's often a drift towards over-doneness. The mutton was, nevertheless, perfectly acceptable, and the chicken (a generally bland meat, that needs the holy ghost of the gravy really to pull it up), expertly cooked, with a super crunchy skin. The accompanying stuffing, however, was dry and unnecessary, and cinnamon in the bread sauce is not the same as nutmeg, and never will be. Spuds need to be light and fluffy on the inside and thick and crunchy on the outside. Both here at JH and at Blacklock they are roasted in duck fat (actually, at Blacklock, they seemed to have been fried on the gas in duck fat, rather than roasted in the oven). The JH's shade it here, being just as fluffy, but that little bit crunchier. That said, neither is really as crunchy as I like. There is nothing wrong with blasting them in a hot oven for a serious amount of time: boiling them first cooks them, all that duck fat and heat is doing is getting them super crunchy. Guys, leave them in the oven another half an hour. Please. And so to gravy. JH's effort is fine, but no more. Blacklock's is totes amazeballs. I mean it is like literally the best gravy ever. It has bone marrow. Great big chunks of the stuff, slowly melting into the deeply reduced meat juices. I would go back just for a mug of the stuff. It is that good. So we left JH with mixed feelings: it is a nice pub, with some good beers, a really good German riesling list and a perfectly acceptable roast. The service, however, is a bit hit and miss: waiters appeared and then disappeared, we tried to order but that was with the wrong type of waiter and, worst of all, as we left the restaurant, we passed the pass to see a lovely pork belly sitting there: "oh yes, that's the pork" we were told. The pork special that nobody had bothered to tell us about. The succulent looking hunk of belly and masses of crackling. Not that I'm bitter or anything, but seriously; it was pork for goodness sake. I think that this is as far as I'm going to go on a Sunday roast hunt, however, as the conclusion I have come to is that actually there is a fourth ingredient, more important than the other three, that makes a Sunday roast a Sunday Roast: Sunday lunch is of course about the food, but it is also about who cooks it and with whom you eat it. Unless it's cooked at home, with the family round a big table, no Sunday roast is ever as good as the one that your mum makes.

Sarah G

Amazing!
31 March 2016
this place is not for the faint hearted unless you are a complete carnivor - the food is fabulous and everything you could image for a meat lovers heaven - the restaurant itself is warm and welcoming and the staff and service faultless.

Excellent food, nice atmosphere, good service
11 December 2015
Our large party had a set menu at the Jugged Hare and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The food was well cooked and good quality produce, and the waiters and waitresses were polite and efficient. Would recommend to friends and family.

Steve S

Amazing food
09 December 2015
We had a fantastic time a the Jugged Hare everyone really enjoyed themselves. The Spanish waiter was excellent, and added a lot of value to the night. His recommendations were superb, and the service was great. The menu and the food was amazing allowing us to try many new things that we hadn’t tasted before. If I had to complain about anything, which is only minor, was that the seating area where we sat had a big rip in the cover. I would definitely recommend this establishment, and I will be back again.

Imogen M

a lovely pub but slightly unfocussed service
12 May 2015
Well the place is lovely and the menu had an enormous amount of delicious choice. We were served quickly.. we only had an hour and we managed to eat within that time. I just found our waitress a bit irritating and she didn't seem to put much care in to how things were done. It was relatively efficient but her artificial attempts at charm I found grating. I will go back but will hope to have different waiter.

Other restaurants near The Jugged Hare

You are requesting to book The Jugged Hare for people on at .