Modern European

SquareMeal Review of The Ivy

Celebrating its centenary in 2017, The Ivy is a celeb-friendly fixture of the glamorous West End scene. Yet, behind the iconic harlequin stained glass, the old girl certainly isn't showing her age – thanks to a glittering 2015 makeover that gave pride of place to a beautiful vintage-styled bar. Although the hype around the refurb has died down, there's still a warm glow of approval from readers, who praise the "utterly impeccable" service, "unflappable staff" and "buzzy, not noisy" atmosphere. The eclectic menu is a winning mix of Ivy perennials such as the "truly wonderful" crispy duck salad and classic shepherd's pie, alongside on-trend raw dishes like "delicious" yellowfin tuna sashimi with avocado or salmon ceviche with tiger's milk, as well as ultra-trad confit duck or grouse with bread sauce. The kitchen’s special talent lies in the fact that it manages to cook such a varied range of dishes equally well. "The Ivy will always have a place in my heart", declares one fan, while another reckons it’s “a delight all round”.

Good to know about The Ivy

Event Party Venue

Location for The Ivy

1-5 West Street, London, WC2H 9NQ

Opening Times of The Ivy

Mon-Sun 12N-11.30pm (Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of The Ivy

13 March 2019
Exert "Deep-fried haddock, mushy peas and chips or Steak & kidney pudding will keep the hungover happy and hanging. For pudding there is Baked Alaska, Golden pineapple and Chocolate steamed sponge"   full review: https://alotofchop.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/the-ivy/

13 March 2019
Exert "Deep-fried haddock, mushy peas and chips or Steak & kidney pudding will keep the hungover happy and hanging. For pudding there is Baked Alaska, Golden pineapple and Chocolate steamed spong"   full review: https://alotofchop.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/the-ivy/

Mr. Russ L

Fantastic London institution
12 March 2019
Have had many, many great meals here. It is the original and still by a mile the best. Excellent atmosphere and flawless, unstuffy service without attitude. I always look forward to a meal here. Though there are now many Ivy variations around the country this is a clear cut above.

Timing error
24 December 2016
By mistake, I booked for 08:00 instead of 20:00 so arrived 12 hours late! Staff could not have been more helpful in accommodating us and we had a great meal, on schedule to go on to the show we had booked. Will be back Many thanks

Mr. Kevin N

Consistent excellence, with great food atmosphere and staff
20 November 2016
Consistent excellence, with great food atmosphere and staff. There's not much else to say. Those who have been here before, know what to expect, and in my view it rarely disappoints. When I go regularly (a I did some years back), it's like a club where you see old friends. When you go after not going for a while, it feels as if you will meet someone - even if you don't! The service is just right, friendly and efficient - around when you need them - not when you don't. More information if you need it. Just fast and friendly if not. An enjoyable lunch.

Ms/Mrs. Joanna G

An old time favourite.
22 August 2016
I have been a fan of the Ivy for many years but hadn’t visited since it’s refurb last year, the Ivy Café in Marylebone is usually more convenient and serves similar fayre and I’m not that interested in celeb spotting. I was surprised we could get a table for Sunday lunch, booked a couple of hours before arrival, it used to be rammed at this time, but perhaps it is because it’s August and their usual clientele are sunning themselves in the South of France?? What a difference the central bar makes, it really opens up the restaurant and provides a welcome pit-stop for a pre-lunch drink. It felt much brighter and airier than before, it’s a shame that it was only one third full. The staff, as always were charming and efficient. I opted for the thai chicken curry with pumpkin and husband had the shepherds’ pie (he is a creature of habit and I can’t tempt him away) and we shared a delicious yellowfin tuna sashimi with avocado to start. I chose a bottle of Txakoli di Guetaria, Ameztoi, which was fresh, light and spritzy and went perfectly with the sashimi and the curry (perhaps not the shepherds’ pie but I didn’t hear any complaints). The Ivy will always have a place in my heart, it has one of those menus that caters for most food cravings and executes it very well.

Ms/Mrs. Sue H

What a treat!
19 September 2015
I was taken for a meal to celebrate my retirement. I had heard a lot over the years about the restaurant but had never had the chance to go before, I was not disappointed. The exterior of the restaurant looks unpromising. The street and the windows look dinghy and dirty, but inside is bright and colourful with modern pictures ('you are sitting by the Damian hirst' - thankfully not one of his picked animals) which somehow complement the traditional wood panels, stain glass windows and art deco light fittings. Service was attentive and friendly but not intrusive. The atmosphere is informal. The food and wine was all excellent, and portions generous. The menu Is an unusual mix of traditional 'comfort' food (sausages and mash, shepherds pie), Asian, and more sophisticated fare. The desserts were a picture and delicious too. We lingered over the food and post lunch drinks, but were not hurried at all. An excellent lunch which could not be faulted.

Mr. Stuart C

A rejuvenated old classic.
16 August 2015
A couple of ex City colleagues and myself decided to try the newly re-opened Ivy for a catch up over old times. We chose the Ivy as it had recently reopened and had been a favourite haunt of ours 'back in the day.' We were not disappointed. We all agreed that the worst aspect of the original was the pokey bar where one had a drink before dinner. That was gone and, in its place, was a central, open plan bar with stools for diners. It immediately reminded me of the layout at Scott's, another excellent Richard Caring eaterie and it's a concept I personally like as it raises the atmosphere. As for the food - it was like stepping back in time with some old Ivy favourites, many simple fare (Shepherd's Pie, Fish and Chips, Sausage and Mash), alongside some more ambitious dishes. Between us, we tried a cross section and nothing disappointed with the sashimi starter and Calves liver both superb. Highly recommended especially if you wanted to compare it to the 'old' Ivy, pre refurb.

Mr. Paul B

Still classic, but new too...
31 July 2015
I haven't been here for quite a while, and it was my first visit since the refurb. Previously it did everything it aimed to do very well, and I was delighted to find it's still doing that. It's now a very different interior, but happily the good bits about the room are retained, including the stained glass and the wood panelling. The new central bar is great and the table layout is good too. The comfort food remains consistently pleasing and the service was arguably better than ever, and certainly as friendly, welcoming and helpful as it's ever been. If you've tired of this place, which I must admit I had done to some extent, you should try it again, it really has been rejuvenated.

Other restaurants near The Ivy

You are requesting to book The Ivy for people on at