The Grill at McQueen

British, Steak

About The Grill at McQueen

An ode to Steve, this restaurant, bar and club has suitably macho styling and former Hawksmoor chef Richard Sandiford in the kitchen. Brown leather, black walls and faux-fur rugs inform the bachelor-pad decor, which is peppered with references to McQueen movies. Continuing the theme, you’ll find cocktails including a Popcorn Old Fashioned (popcorn-infused bourbon) on the strapping list. Sandiford’s short menu deals in well-presented, quality Brit food: Our ox cheek and kidney pithivier was a lesson in crispy, creamy comfort food, while fried crab cakes were a winning combination of flaky flesh and crunchy breadcrumbs – if a slightly meagre portion. There’s no doubting value when it comes to the steaks however, as our rib-eye arrived perfectly cooked and full of flavour. Hawksmoor fans will be pleased to find stilton hollandaise sauce, as well as sides of triple-cooked chips and smoked mac ‘n’ cheese. Globetrotting wines include a small-but-varied range by the glass, while staff work hard to please. The Grill’s only problem is being hidden at the back of McQueen and therefore rarely full, but considering the efforts being made, word deserves to get out.

Good to know about The Grill at McQueen

Opening Times of The Grill at McQueen

Mon 5pm-10pm Tues-Fri 12N-12M (Thurs -1am Fri -2am) Sat 7pm-2am

Reviews of The Grill at McQueen

20 October 2016
Would definitely recommend though, will definitely keep in mind for birthdays/special occasions!

Ms/Mrs. Sarah G

28 April 2014
Great food and great service – very relaxed for a fun lunch – would probably not suit a business lunch though but with friends then spot on!

Ms/Mrs. Joanna J

Little adventure in Shoreditch!
24 June 2013
My husband and I live in Chiswick so our little trip to Shoreditch felt like a little adventure. We always wanted to visit McQueen as we are both fans of Steve McQueen and we finally managed to arrange for dinner last Friday. And we were not disappointed! The food was excellent and the menu well balanced with something for everyone. We both love fish so we went for the halibut which was tender and well cooked. Service was great too, we had a lovely and smiley waitress making sure that we had everything that we wanted. We didn't manage to go to the Club downstairs but by the look of it was heaving. I recommend this place and not only for Steve McQueen fans!

Mr. Mark P

Business lunch at McQueens
19 June 2013
I look for places that are a little bit different for business lunches. McQueen's fit the bill – interesting decor, comfortable seating and felt very private. The menu and wine list are relatively small but have a full range of interesting items at reasonable prices – the Rib Eye was fabulous! Service was good and friendly. Definitely recommend the place and it looks like it would be awesome in the evenings too.

Mr. Charlie C

Dinner & burlesque in Shoreditch
11 March 2013
I had my reservations to book dinner at McQueen mainly because Restaurants attached to lounge bars and clubs don't have a very good reputation. But last week a colleague of mine asked me to come along for an early dinner plus a burlesque show which sounded fun. I have to say that the restaurant really exceeded my expectations. We went for the early bird menu which was a bit limited in terms of options but very good value for money. The courgette soup had such a clean palate and was the perfect starter to the meal. The ballotine of chicken was also spot on and comforting on a cold winter night. I finished off with a delicious ice cream which apparently is made in Hampshire! Following dinner we moved to the Lounge Bar to watch the acts which were pretty high-quality. Vintage burlesque performers adding a bit of glamour to our Thursday night. It's really good to see Shoreditch ‘growing up’ and delivering such polished options like McQueen.

Mr. Antony A

Shoreditch chic
18 February 2013
McQueen has been on my radar for quite a while but as I work in the West End it's difficult to force myself all the way to Old Street area… But last Friday I finally had the chance to visit the venue as a good friend of mine was staying at the Hoxton Hotel just around the corner. We first started at the Restaurant which is a gem of a room, stylish and cosy. We both had the Mixed Courgette & Bean Vegetable soup for starters which was so much more enjoyable that we thought! A clear taste with only a hint of pesto, it really was a great appetizer. For main I had the rib-eye steak which was cooked to perfection and so were the chips. My friend ordered the McQueen Burger with Onion Rings which were massive and very tasty! Service was understated and friendly, and everyone in the room seemed to be having a good time as we did. After dinner we even moved on to the Lounge Bar which was packed with a live DJ spinning some early evening tunes. The whole place was so much fun and I even found out about their regular tastings which I have signed up to. I highly recommend it.

Ellen F

29 January 2013
Yes, McQueen is named after the iconic Steve so you'd be right in expecting it to be a big bad boys' venue, with leather aplenty, Dude food sympathies and a moody, broody, cool attitude. But it also turned out to be a surprisingly good place for a suit and his female ex colleague (me) to catch up over a casual lunch. Although it is only a 8 min walk from Moorgate you feel like you have left The City a long way behind and despite its proximity to Old Street there are no Shoreditchers in sight (presumably they only come out at night). In fact there were very few people in here at all even though it was classic Friday funtime. No complaints about this though as it meant we had the pick of the big squashy low sofas by the large picture windows. We opted to stay here rather than go through to the restaurant as I had already spotted on the bar menu the only thing I was interested in: the steak sandwich. I haven't had one of these for ages but I consider it the litmus test for lunch in this type of place. Apart from one sliver of beef with a chewy veiny edge, the rest of the meat was tender and tasty. It wasn't that easy to eat (being a huge ciabatta laden, salady, saucy mouthful) but that that didn't stop me polishing it off. A few chips grace the side of the serving board but really it's all about the sarnie. For a tenner, it was very good value. Service was efficient enough and fairly friendly although they weren't exactly being put through their paces in the nearly empty bar. At night I dare say this turns into the kind of place described as “throbbing” (I think I spotted a DJ booth in the corner) and I'm not sure that would be up my street but despite the testosterone driven decor (oversized pics of Steve, silver plated aeroplane paraphernalia etc) it doesn't feel too blokey in here during the day. More Gaucho grill than Groucho club. Still, I can't wait til someone opens up a McQueens in homage to the Hollyoaks TV family. That would be one for the girls.

Mr. Luke B

21 February 2012
I had my first meal at McQueen last Saturday and I have to say that I was nicely surprised. Previously I haven't had good experiences with restaurants that are attached to bar and/or clubs, so my expectations were not very high. But boy I was wrong. The Restaurant is such a cool and atmospheric room, a little oasis away from the buzzy bar next door. As we came in we were greeted by our lovely waitress who served us with so much grace and attention. For starters we had the Maryland crab cake which was just delicious. Fresh, crispy and just enough to wet our appetites. For main course I chose the rib eye stake, which was cooked to perfection. My date had baked wild sea bass served with crushed parsnips. A simple dish and yet so tasty and memorable. By the end of our meal we were quite full to have dessert but finished the evening with some dessert wine recommended by our lovely waitress. After dinner, we popped down to the club area which was buzzing and in full swing… McQueen is now my favourite venue in East London, there is nothing quite it this side of London. Highly recommend it!

Ms/Mrs. Rachael B

06 June 2011
McQueen is an amazing venue and has such a great atmosphere. My boyfriend and I went for a few drinks after work and it didn’t fail to please. It had a nice ambience, beautifully furnished and definitely represents the king of cool, superbly. I loved it and recommend it for the experience. Absolutely loved it. 10/10

Mr. ciara B

15 February 2011
Been to McQueen on Valentines dinner with my BF last night. Never been there before ..just blind luck as I booked with lastminute.com … and thanks to that!! We loved every minute of it! Service was great, place itself is simply amazing, really romantic, full of candles and they screen classic movies in the restaurant … not to mention the food!! Myself and my bf we had 3 course meal .. to die for!! Def coming back > C.

Other restaurants near The Grill at McQueen