The Greene Oak

Gastropub, British

SquareMeal Review of The Greene Oak

While this may look like just another newly gentrified country gastropub, it’s nothing of the kind. The food displays passion & flair, &, in an affluent area where good, casual eateries are thin on the ground, The Greene Oak is being warmly welcomed by locals. Wood & slate floors, warm country fabrics, antique light fittings & mirrors create a rustic contemporary look – it’s a great place for a laidback evening or a cracking lunch at the weekend – and prices are ‘reasonable for the area’. A devotion to well-sourced produce served simply is evident in the menu that bristles with comfort food – hearty soups, fishcakes, burgers, rib-eye steak & fresh battered plaice – with more adventurous British-with-a-twist dishes, such as a delicious pan-fried sea bass fillet with spicy pilau rice & basil oil, or roast lamb rump served with parsnip puree & Japanese broccoli. Other pluses are Greene King IPA & Old Speckled Hen on tap, a short, to-the-point Corney & Barrow wine list offering 18 by the glass, & ‘busy but impeccable’ service.

Good to know about The Greene Oak

Opening Times of The Greene Oak

Mon-Sat 11am-11pm & Sun 11am-10pm

Reviews of The Greene Oak

David H

Better than the average gastro-pub
23 March 2013
We've eaten here a lot, though this is the first review I've made for it on this site. This is the first and in my view arguably the best of a small group of similar restaurants in the east Berks/south Bucks area, and their presence has added quite a bit to the local dining scene. They have overlapping but not identical menus and a similar look and style. The Greene Oak looks like a gastropub, but cooks a bit more like a restaurant. Not a great restaurant – we're not talking stars here- but a restaurant that cooks decently well and is unlikely to disappoint or deliver poor value. I do know that there are gastropubs in the same area with stars and higher prices and sniffier attitudes. I'll just say that in my experience, they don't offer better food or service than here, though they will remove rather more of your money. All of which accounts for the fact that The Greene Oak is generally pretty busy, as it was today when we turned up for lunch. Nevertheless our service was well timed and pleasant throughout, and there was no signs of stress anywhere. The food was decent today rather than brilliant. I have had some magnificent food here- a main of sticky Orkney Beef a year or two back comes quickly to mind. Today , I think my wife would say that her butternut squash soup was competent rather than exciting, and I'd say that my loin of rabbit starter was hard to cut though tasty enough. Both our main courses- pork belly with roast veg, and bavette with ox-cheek and crispy marrow- were solidly good. Decent coffee, no room for dessert. Breads a bit dull, A sound but maybe a little ordinary southern Italian red from the lower end of the list. Our bill of £75 including service was pretty much what we'd expect for what we had. All told, I guess we accept that things are liable to be a bit variable when you're eating in quite a large place in the middle of the market. If it tends not to let you down, and can occasionally delight, then you'll keep going back. And we do.

Other restaurants near The Greene Oak