The Granville

Modern European, Gastropub

SquareMeal Review of The Granville

From the people behind the Michelin-starred Sportsman, in Seasalter, this modern gastropub is reckoned to be one of the best options of its kind in the Canterbury area. There are Shepherd Neame ales at the bar and a sofa-filled snug – although the main action takes place in the dining room, complete with an open-to-view kitchen. The blackboard menu is short and to the point – so expect perky seasonal riffs ranging from smoked local goose breast with mustard fruits to coq au vin or Godmersham venison with chocolate sauce. Nice touches include outstanding homemade focaccia and simple desserts such as poached pear with vanilla ice cream, and the food is backed by a decent wine list.

Good to know about The Granville

Tue-Sun 12N-2pm (Sun -2.30pm) Tue-Sat 7-9pm

Reviews of The Granville

Mr. Joe B

11 September 2012
I can’t tell if it is a good or a bad thing that The Granville, just south of Canterbury, is associated with its impeccable, Michelin Star-clad sister pub The Sportsman just a few miles away at Seasalter. Every restaurant should be judged on its own merits, but I can’t help thinking that this eatery in Lower Hardres, run by the same people as those who brought The Sportsman to fame, could forever live in its big sister’s shadow, or indeed be dragged along on its culinary crest, even if it doesn’t deserve to be. The Granville is a picturesque pub with a modern interior, an open restaurant and a bar area. The atmosphere is good and the way they do things is different – and I like it. You order drinks at the bar and take a few sips while mulling over the chalkboard featuring the evening’s starters and main courses. Order and then head to your seats. Homemade sliced foccacia bread, butter and sesame seeds were brought to the table shortly before my guest’s choice of oriental pork salad (£7.50) arrived, along with my four rock oysters with shallot vinegar (£1.40 each). The oysters were beautiful and fresh, as you would expect of a restaurant with close links to the seaside vendors. They tasted clean and cool, served perfectly with no shell remnants. My guest let me try some of her salad, which included thinly-sliced carrots, lettuce, cress and a delightful dressing. We agreed it was a fine dish. You know it was enjoyed when your other half says she wants to make it at home one day. Our main course was out promptly, heralding my chicken tagine with tzatziki (£12.95), served with green beans and new potatoes. The sauce was tasty and the portion a good size, but I was disappointed by the presentation and the potatoes were a little dry. It was strange that the tagine came out on a regular plate. I know this is a pub and not a Morrocan restaurant, but I thought it lacked a bit of zing and was clumsy. My guest had the tagliatelle with ricotta, peas and mint (£9.95). She enjoyed it but was not as enthused as she had been by her starter. The service was good for most of the evening, although we were left to wait between mains and desserts for almost half an hour. The staff on service did, in fairness, apologise and gave us a drink on the house, which was a nice gesture. To finish, I went with flourless chocolate cake with whiskey and dark chocolate ice-cream, raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries at £5.95. The sharp whiskey flavour complemented the deep chocolate pudding excellently and the fresh fruity taste was a bonus. My partner went for the vanilla crème brûlée with brandy chocolate truffles at £5.95. All fine. The Granville offers good pub food at a good price: £65 for two, with drinks. Its menu is not ambitious, but The Granville knows what it’s about.

Mr. John T

25 March 2012
We booked the Granville by phone for our Sunday lunch. When we arrived we were initially welcomed with a friendly face and shown the menu on the chalk board. We were told to find a seat while we ordered the drinks. After ordering the chicken, which I thought was over priced, we had to wait for over 25 minutes. The lady who seemed to be in charge was very jolly and friendly, however the younger waitresses seemed miserable and uninterested! Also they were not dressed very professionally (jeans and t shirts) . We were offered bread which was basic and uninspiring. When the main course arrived it was well presented and very tasty. We were shown a dessert menu on a chalk board therefore feeling a bit rushed to make a decision – a menu on the table would have been better. When the dessert arrived – apple and cinnamon crumble the presentation was shocking – it looked like we had the last scrapings of the dish with a tiny jug of lukewarm custard, however it tasted ok. Generally to summarise we thought the food was good but overpriced in comparison to other restaurants, even in London. The service and atmosphere was average. Personally we wouldn't go back!

Mr. Christopher H

29 August 2010
We went on a Sunday lunchtime and required a table with ample space for a wheelchair. I had not been to this pub before and booked by phone. The receptionist was very informative and assured me that a suitable table would be reserved for us. On arrival the table was perfectly situated. We were given excellent casual service and after a short wait our food arrived. The quality was superb and well presented. I really recommend this venue to anyone who enjoys top class food in comfortable pleasant surroundings with lovely helpful staff. Well done to everyone and thank you. Chris

Other restaurants near The Granville

You are requesting to book The Granville for people on at