The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

Gastropub

Call The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

James Rix brings a sure touch with ingredients to this unprepossessing village pub. Expect only the freshest seafood, cooked precisely & served without pretence – say mussels & palourde clams with chorizo, shallots & white wine or whole grilled mackerel accompanied by a warm salad of sliced potatoes, roast tomatoes, white anchovies & rocket. Elsewhere, there could be Normandy black pudding & a fried duck egg ahead of Gloucester Old Spot pork chop with champ & a cider & mustard sauce. The homemade focaccia is utterly irresistible, as is the hot chocolate fondant with pistachio ice cream. Eating in the wood & leather surrounds of the gastropub-style bar (complete with an open fire) is preferable to the chandeliered dining room.

Good to know about The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

Gastropub

Location for The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

2 High Street, Hunsdon, SG12 8NH

01279 843999

Opening Times of The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

Tue-Sun 12N-2.30pm Tue-Sat 6-9.30pm

Reviews of The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon

Not the cheapest but easily the best
23 July 2017
Had a couple of lovely meals in this restaurant now. I guess they used to be called Gastropubs. This time I had Cornish lobster which was cooked on a special charcoal oven they have. Made it taste fab. If you're looking to go somewhere with family or friends for a cracking meal or a special occassion without travelling to central London I think can't do much better.

Ms/Mrs. Petra G

31 July 2011
If you want a cheap, boil in the bag, chain restaurant meal, then don't go to the Fox and Hounds. It's a relaxed and comfortable pub with a varied and changing menu. You won't go back a month later and see exactly the same food on the menu, it's more like a proper restaurant. Thoroughly recommend. We took my parents and our kids (9 and 10) and where basically asked ‘what would the children like to eat’. They made a choice from the menu, and one from the ‘do you have any…’ and voila, they had a lovely meal. That's my kind of place to eat.

Mr. Jamie N

10 February 2011
Chris H's rating is harsh. I have been eating at this Gastropub since it was taken over by an experienced classically trained chef and his wife and turned into a restaurant worth making a journey to…and i do, its half an hour from where i live. Unfortunately there is nothing in the Fox and Hounds' league in Loughton. I would encourage you to try this establishment. Gastropub dining that is a little more than you would pay at your local pub serving chips with everythng but you have to pay up for quality in this World. Go!

Ms/Mrs. Chris H

31 October 2010
Very poor value for what we paid. Food was ok but quite expensive for a pub.

Ms/Mrs. Sally L

16 February 2010
I love the Fox and Hounds. The food is lovely, not your normal pub grub! I have found service to be good and the setting is delightful.

Ms/Mrs. Sue V

05 February 2010
I had booked to celebrate my 60th birthday with members of my family and friends on Saturday 30 Jan 2010. My daughter went along earlier in the day to put up a discrete banner and some ballons so the staff were fully aware of the occasion. On arrival we were shown to the dining room which was freezing and we were the only people there at the time. Eventually the room did fill up with other diners. However, the waiting staff had absolutely no customer service skills, never smiled, were as cold as the room in fact. At the end of our meal the waitress brought over my birthday cake which had been organised by my daughter. Not a word was uttered from the waitress and she virtually dumped the cake in front of me and said very sullenly – do you want a knife and plates! This is a great shame as the food was quite good – spoilt by the complete lack of customer service and cold unwelcoming dining room. Having spent quite a lot of money, we were not acknowledged as we left – no-one said thank you or goodnight. I shall never visit again.

Other restaurants near The Fox and Hounds - Hunsdon