Modern European, Steak

SquareMeal Review of Smiths of Smithfield

Where better to have a steakhouse than in London’s ancient Smithfield market? The huge industrial space, with casual dining at entry level becomes grander as you move up the building. Stop on the ground floor for all-day breakfasts, burgers, salads, pies, sandwiches and drinks at the bar, or make your way right to the top where the Square Mile acts as a panoramic backdrop for proper British cooking. Expect anything from pan-fried foie gras, kumquats, wood blewits, liquorice and ginger bread to “incredible” rare-breed steaks – all based on top-quality produce. If you want something slightly less grand, the mid-level ‘dining room’ is the place – think open-plan surrounds and a brasserie menu ranging from grills to dessert cocktails. “Fabulous” wines and pitch-perfect service receive a thumbs-up throughout the building.

Image credit: third image on carousel: Tom Griffiths

Mon-Fri 7am-4.45pm 6-10.45pm Sat 10am-11pm Sun 9.30am-4.45pm

Reviews of Smiths of Smithfield

First time in the Dining Room
17 February 2016
There was a deal on through another online restaurant booking website but we booked through SquareMeal and they still let us use the deal, which was a winner! Love the décor and relaxed vibe of the dining room and the food was good. Excellent wine list as well. One complaint is the bathrooms were absolutely FREEZING! and also it got quite busy later on so took time to get our bill and then get the staff to bring over the card machine. Would recommend.

Ms/Mrs. Pam M

09 May 2014
Great food, very nicely cooked, huge portions, good quality!!! Highly reccommend!

Mr. Mark P

Cold Steak
01 November 2013
Went for a birthday celebration expecting good meat dishes. I ordered the Rib Eye Steak best part of £20. It came cold on a cold plate with cold onion rings and lukewarm chips. The chips came to the table in a variety of different bowls and metal beakers which looked poor. The steak was really fatty and the waiter apologised and offered a free dessert. The dessert was also cold. (Sticky Toffee Pudding) The staff and service was great but the place is bland and my experience of the food was bad. I shall not go back or recommend as there are better places nearby.

Mr. John Y

Perfect venue for Indian summer lunch
26 September 2013
Sept 26: perfect weather for lunch on the terrace of the the 3rd floor of Smiths. My first visit to Smiths, being a new comer to the City, was fantastic with a filet steak that was without doubt the best I have had this side of the Atlantic – if not ever Highly recommend a visit

Ms/Mrs. Amy O

23 April 2013
Excellent and lovely…

Mr. Chris H

28 February 2012
In general always a let down no matter how many times I visit. It doesn't seem to matter which level I eat on, I never feel like I have had either an enjoyable meal or value for money. The food is okay but nothing more. Sadly, it is close to where I work and therefore gets used for client lunches as a last resort. There are certainly better restaurants in the area and perhaps that is why getting a table here does not seem to be that hard…

Ms/Mrs. Madeleine P

18 January 2012
Having been invited to lunch at Smith's i was looking forward to a good hearty steak meal, JT on TV judges other peoples cooking with some degree of criticism but the standard in his establishment is left wanting. the sirloin ordered rare came over cooked, which must have been left on one side only consquently cook through the underside had no sign of being griddled, it was dreadful and a complete waste of good meat,(Devon red) cooking and time eating. The wine list is left wanting and more middle priced reasonable wines need to be included. All in all a great disappointment.

Ms/Mrs. Emily R

16 October 2011
Last night we returned to Smith’s of Smithfield for a second wonderful meal. On around the same date last year, our friend Hannah invited us there for her birthday dinner, having had a real trauma trying to find a good restaurant in London who would accept a booking of ten without a deposit and/or set menu. SOS though were happy to oblige us with a lovely large table in their second floor dining room, and so we returned again this year for Hannah’s celebrations. Adam and I are self-named ‘ethicureans’ and only eat free range meat, and fish that’s line caught and responsibly sourced, so dining out for us is often a disappointment as we forego the amazing looking meat and fish dishes in exchange for a vegetarian meal which fits in with our rules. When we first heard we were going to SOS though we checked out their website to find out a little more about their ingredients and sourcing, and then after a quick phone call we found that all their meat is in fact free range….not just ‘British’ or ‘outdoor bred’. One waiter even said to us ‘I wouldn’t work here if they served any less’. So, that box ticked, we arrived to the buzzing ground floor bar for arrival drinks before heading upstairs (in the trendily red-quilt-lined lift) to our table situated between the open kitchen and a vast well overlooking the floor below. These, and the other busy tables made for a great atmosphere in what is actually a pretty large restaurant (130 covers), and the attentive and knowledgeable staff certainly helped too. Last night, having nearly spoiled our dinner on a rather-too-large lunch, Adam and I opted out of starters….although I couldn’t resist a few excellent Rock Oysters with sherry vinaigrette (£2.20 each) whilst everyone had their gorgeous looking Dorset Crab & Cox Apple on Toasted Sourdough (£9) and Cream of Cauliflower with Cheese Puffs (£5). Onto mains though and ‘eating light’ soon went out of the window as we were determined to make the most of our meaty feast. Adam chose the South Devon Rib Steak (Aged 21 Days), with Chips & Mayo (£17.50) which was served beautifully pink and perfectly succulent. For me, it was the Rosé Veal in Egg & Parmesan, with Rocket & Anchovies (£16) and although it wasn’t a pretty plate (I’m not a rocket person, and the veal was completely covered in the egg like a sort of omlettey schnitzel) the veal was tender and tasty….as was my side order of wonderfully silky mash (£2.50). We were too stuffed for puddings, but opposite me, Greg’s Sticky Toffee Pudding (£7) made me very envious as the smell of the hot toffee was almost enough to make me place a late order. Adam settled for an espresso whilst I finished my wine (slow drinker) which he tells me was very good. And by the time we’d finished chatting the place was nearly empty, but with no less atmosphere for it….. and so we left pleasantly full and rather jolly, vowing not to leave it so long until our next visit.

Mr. James C

05 October 2011
Yesterday evening with my father. 5 stars; Without doubt the best Chateaubriand Ive ever had. Cooked to perfection at the Top Floor restaurant. Bang on. Frienly staff and relaxed atmosphere, the top floor also offers a impressive view across this historical part of London.

Mr. Damian F

11 July 2011
I love the restaurant and it is esp enjoyable in the summer months when the glass dorrs are open and the sun is setting. You are nestled in the rooftops of Clerkenwell, it is very Mary Poppins with all the chimney tops! Add to this setting the great food and wine list and attentive service and you really cannot go wrong. One slight problem is that the atmosphere can sometimes be a bit flat… but hey when you've steak this good that is a secondary factor!

Other restaurants near Smiths of Smithfield

You are requesting to book Smiths of Smithfield for people on at .