SquareMeal Review of Satay House

Readers ‘heartily recommend’ Satay House’s genuine family feel: founded in 1972 by Jaafar Shawal & Zaharah Hashim, it is now run by their daughter Fatizah, who keeps the satay coming for a loyal, mixed crowd of local Malaysians, shoppers & the odd famous face. Other starter options include deep-fried squid or prawns with sweet chilli sauce, while mains could include ‘excellent’ lamb curry or beef rendang, reduced to a dry, nutty richness. More spice comes courtesy of fried chicken with ground shrimps & chillis, or prawns & sator (aka ‘stinky’) beans with spicy sambal. Eat amid the wicker chairs, stripped woodwork & stencilled hibiscus flowers in the canteen-style room upstairs or take the more intimate option below. Drink cold Asian beer, chilled ‘mamak’ tea or bizarre sirap cincao (rose syrup with grass jelly).

Malaysian
Cosy, Traditional

Location for Satay House

13 Sale Place, London, W2 1PX

Mon-Sun 12N-2.45pm 6-10.30pm

Reviews of Satay House

Mr. Sj H

30 July 2010
Thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the restaurant last night. The clientele was largely Malaysian & the food was tasty & well cooked – a welcome change from the usual mainstay Asian options of Chinese / Thai & Indian! We started with a chicken satay starter, which was good, but nothing special, and then had the Kari Kambing (lamb curry) & Rendang Daging (beef in coconut milk), both dishes were excellent. With this we had Sawi Goreng (choi sum with oyster sauce) which was the same as you'll get in any good Chinese restaurant, and roti. I hadn't had roti since my last Malaysian trip more than 20 years ago, and it was also very good. We skipped dessert – Malaysian desserts are (like most Asian desserts) too sweet & really not to my taste. I liked the attractive simple decor which was even continued into the rather nice lavatory (complete with Dyson airblade hand drier). Our waitress was the owners daughter and lovely – she unnecessarily apologised that service was a bit slow as she was training a new waitress, but frankly the service was just fine & we weren't in a great hurry. I would come here again & heartily recommend.

Ms/Mrs. Ivana B

29 September 2009
I visited this restaurant after it was recommended to me by a friend & thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The food was full of authentic Malaysian flavour, the service was friendly and prompt & the meals were good value for money. I will definitely be going back!!

Tess V

13 January 2009
The food tasted really authentic, rich flavours and really fresh ingredients. I like the warm intimate atmosphere and the inclusion of the national flower in the decoration is a nice touch. The staff were really warm and helpful, advising me on possible food choices and accompaniments. A lovely evening out.

Other restaurants near Satay House

You are requesting to book Satay House for people on at .