Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

British, French

Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

SquareMeal Review of Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

The flagship restaurant of the UK’s most famous chef export celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2018 and remains “10/10” for those readers lucky enough to secure one of its generously spaced tables – expect to book two months ahead, even for a midweek lunch.

The kitchen’s signature dishes demand to be ordered: ravioli bursting at the seams with sweet lobster, langoustine and salmon contrasted with an arrestingly sharp lobster vinaigrette and sorrel velouté, or a plate of suckling pig with crisp belly, roasted loin and spiced shoulder sausage that leaves you unable to decide which porky component is the most delicious.

But spare a thought for roast sweetbread with artichoke, sunflower and brown butter, or Cornish turbot with ceps, black garlic and jus gras: beguilingly simple but ultimately sophisticated cooking which proves that chef de cuisine Matt Abé, who has maintained the three Michelin stars first won by Ramsay in 2001, is more than just a ventriloquist’s dummy for his master’s voice.

Then there are all the extras you expect from this level of dining: vividly flavoured amuse-bouches to create a sense of excitement, butter served at just the right temperature to spread on salted sourdough pretzels, chocolate petit-fours even more alluring than the desserts proper, and perfectly weighted glassware to act as a conduit for the 81-page wine list.

We just wish that the service was every bit as entrancing. While readers report “exceptional” treatment, we encountered frosty, robotic staff who not only lacked intuition and tact but also seemed decidedly unhappy in their work. A shame, because if anywhere in London encapsulates special-occasion, save-up-all-year dining, this is it – but without a friendly welcome, it may remain a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

££££ - Over £80

Reviews of Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

Mr. Lloyd S

Outstanding Evening
27 November 2018
This visit to Restaurant Gordon Ramsay will live long in our memory just like the previous visits have done. Unfortunately it has been two years since our last visit but now that the restaurant is open on a Saturday especially lunchtime gives us more opportunities to dine here in the future. The evening started with a nice greeting from the doorman before entering the restaurant. You walk along the corridor to then arrive and receive the friendliest of greetings from a few members of staff. We were then escorted to our table in the dining room which really does give you the feeling that your in the comfort of your own living room. It was then time to meet Assistant Manager Zoe who remembered us from a previous visit so it was nice to have a little catch up. She then presented us with the menus and also explained about the specials that were available that evening. On this occasion we opted to go for the three course A la Carte with the added extra of the cheese course. This was due to my wife who had never had the cheese here. Once we'd made our decisions on the food it was then time to meet the sommelier who asked what thoughts we had on our wine choices. We asked as we were having the A la Carte if she could match each course to which she was more than happy to do so. The evenings delights started with a fabulous selection of snacks followed by a fantastic Amuse Bouche a take on a Welsh Rarebit in an egg shell. Starters? We started with the fabulous signature dish the Lobster , Langoustine , Salmon & Sorrel Ravioli and the equally stunning Sweetbreads with Jerusalem Artichoke , Pickled Walnut & Brown Butter. Mains? For our main courses we enjoyed a fantastic Cornish Turbot with Maitake , Black Garlic & Jus Gras as well as the amazing Suckling Pig of Crispy Belly , Roasted Loin , Spiced Shoulder Sausage with Chou Farci & Crushed Potatoes. Cheese Course? Before moving on to dessert and to the extreme delight of my wife it was time for the cheese course. Here you had a wonderful selection of cheeses to choose from including my wife's favourite the Stinking Bishop these were accompanied by crackers , fruit bread , walnuts , grapes , fig & apricot Desserts? After enjoying a delightful palate cleanser it was time for desserts one being the Mont Blanc with Smoked Chestnut , Buckwheat & Buttermilk and the other was the most heavenly Chocolate Soufflé with Coffee Ice Cream Before we had coffee & petit fours Zoe came over to us and said that Chef Matt Abe would like to have a chat with us in the kitchen if we'd like to do so. Well we couldn't refuse really and so glad we did as Matt is a very nice person and you could clearly see the passion that drives him on. It certainly was an honour to meet him and to chat about food and also how he was putting his own stamp on the restaurant. He was also clearly delighted that the restaurant had retained its 3 Michelin Stars. It was also a pleasure throughout the evening to chat to Zoe & Head Sommelier James. Petit Fours? We finished with a fabulous selection of petit fours including the famous white chocolate balls which were filled with coconut ice cream as well as the addition of a small chocolate cake to celebrate my wife's birthday This brought an end to a truly amazing evening where the food was outstanding and matched by excellent wine choices. The service from James , Zoe and all the team was first class. Meeting Matt really was the icing on the cake. We will definitely not be leaving it so long before we return. I would have to say for a special treat then a visit to Restaurant Gordon Ramsay is a must as there's a reason why it has 3 Michelin Stars.? I'd like to finish by saying a massive Thank You to everyone at the restaurant for making our evening amazing. So until next time All the Best?

M Stead

"Oh my God"
23 June 2017
The fact that my dining companions most used words and phrases during our dining experience was either "Oh my God!" or "Oh wow!" should tell you all you need to know about this restaurant, and let me tell you, she's not wrong! It was my second visit here, I'd been two years prior and it was a welcome return to hands down the best restaurant in London, but it was my friends first time. In fact she'd only started on her "Michelin dining experience" earlier this year, but we've covered a lot of ground, and this was the culmination of everything gone previous. The stand out restaurant, the top of Everest, the Roger Federer (a couple of years ago maybe...) of dining. We went with the Prestige Tasting menu, I love a tasting menu, you get to sample a variety of dishes and not just the normal three courses. Plus the courses are "Mike sized", just enough for me! The menu consisted of foie gras terrine, an excellent opener, Ravioli of lobster, langoustine and salmon apparently a dish Gordon has been serving for over 25 years, halibut with a ras el hanout broth, lamb with summer vegetables or pigeon with fennel, a "soup" which is actually a thoroughly refreshing cocktail and dessert. At this point I should mention that sneakily on the a la carte menu there is actually a "dessert tasting option" where you get all desserts. All of them. In taster "Mike sized" portions! So of course we did that. A special mention also should go to the fact my friend doesn't like seafood, so instead of the ravioli she had asparagus, and instead of the halibut she had gnocchi, which has ruined all future gnocchi experiences for me. This was like eating pillows of clouds... The service is impeccable as expected and the sommelier made a wonderful recommendation on a lovely Riesling you'd be hard pressed to beat. This is definitely a must for all foodies in London, and outside of London, and anywhere. You'd be hard pressed to have finer food in London, in fact, I don't think it's even possible. And get the gnocchi...

Michelle M

Disappointing experience
01 November 2016
This is a long story but if you don’t want to be an innocent culprit of the cancellation policy in Restaurant Gordon Ramsey, you’d better not to miss it. This was happened in July this year. But I was only able to take time to write this after I received my bank record in September and a couple of business trips were over in the last 2 months. On 11 July 2016, I visited Gordon Ramsey at 68 Royal Hospital Road, London SW3 4HP ("Gordon Ramsay") with my family. Prior to our reservation for lunch at Gordon Ramsay, my family and I had been travelling in Europe. We had visited five of these restaurants for lunch before July 11th, bookings for which had all been made for 13:00. However, our reservation for Gordon Ramsay had been made for 12:00, which was most likely to be a mistake of the restaurant or my travel agent. As a result, we arrived at Gordon Ramsay at approximately 13:15, believing that our reservation had been made for 13:00, and that a 15-minute grace period was standard for restaurants of a similar calibre. To our disappointment, we were greeted by the hostess who, slightly abashedly, informed us that our reservation had in fact been made for 12:00. And she had tried, but in vain, to contact me at my home country mobile phone number. Taking into no consideration of the discernible difference of digit numbers between my overseas mobile phone and local numbers, she failed to exercise her utmost effort to notify me about the actual reservation time. Indeed, we were shocked by what came next. The hostess then informed us that, not only had she given our table away to another customer, she would have to charge us ?100 per person, in accordance with Gordon Ramsay's 48-hour cancellation policy. The Manager approached us and repeated the policy to us again without any flexibility nor genuine concern about our particular circumstances. In September, when I checked my bank record and saw that the penalty charge was collected by Gordon Ramsey, I couldn’t help but lodge a complaint to Gordon Ramey. Yet, the arrogance and stringency of Gordon Ramsey’s cancellation policy, coupled with the abruptness and poor attitude of the entire team deeply disturbed me. It seems incomprehensible to me that, from the legal point of view, a 3-star restaurant would charge a customer with an unreasonable amount of penalty fee (?100/head) in this case. Firstly, we did show up. Secondly, our late arrival was due to an unknown reservation mistake. Thirdly, our reserved table had been taken up already at the point of our arrival time. It is understandable that the main point of the cancellation fee is to get you to take the reservation seriously; covering losses by collecting it due to untaken table is a secondary purpose for most restaurants. However, our case, which is neither genuine no-show nor last-minute cancellation, was not justified to be penalized or allow others to take our reserved table. I share my experience here because diners are strongly recommended to pay extra attention on such potential risk of being ripped off, if such rigid cancellation policy is still in place in Gordon Ramsey or similar restaurants like these. Last but not least, if the first interaction is making the reservation and the second interaction is the cancellation fee, chances are there won’t be a third interaction.

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

Best dining experience in London, period
28 September 2015
The review title says it all and I'm really not exaggerating. Everything is absolutely faultless. The restaurant itself really surprised me - it's tiny! It almost felt like someone's front room. It really adds to the feeling that you're somewhere special and in for a treat. The whole evening felt effortless - they knew it was my birthday so brought Champagne straight away and subsequently everything was flawlessly paced and presented. To start I had the lobster ravioli which was my favourite course and just absolutely divine - the flavours were genuinely mouthwatering. Next I had lamb, done five ways which was perfect. Dessert quite frankly passed in a haze - some sort of chocolate and praline concoction which for a chocolate fan like me was pure bliss. My boyfriend had the cheese which he said was exceptional. Everything else - the amuse bouche, the pre dessert of a fun mango and passionfruit foam cocktail were just so delicious and interesting. I think that's what I didn't expect - the fun, lively, experimental elements to the food and the absolutely wonderful, friendly service. We just felt like their best customers that night - everyone was so welcoming and chatty and excited to talk to you about the menus. You really honestly feel like they're delighted to have you there. When we were looking round you could see there were regulars there and people who were there for a special occasions, like us and they treated everyone with the same enthusiasm. I could go on and on but put simply, just go, it's incredible. The only problem I have now is that everywhere else is going to be a disappointment!

Mr. david H

03 April 2014
We are regulars here, and without exception have always experienced the best service with a smile and a chat, food and wines; the sommelier is simply the best in London. Once you've eaten here a few times, why go anywhere else – it just doesn't compare. We go now for New Year's eve which is just sublime. Keep up the good work Team Ramsay.

David H

A few changes, but in essence as good as ever.
30 September 2013
We've been eating at these premises since Pierre Koffman had his smallest version of Tante Claire, and over 15 years Gordon Ramsay's restaurant has proved a worthy successor. It has long been our “favourite” – at worst first amongst equals -and has been reserved for birthdays or anniversaries, for the two of us, and sometimes our family or friends. But in the past year or so, things have changed a bit in London, and this sort of fairly formal modern European cooking and presentation may not be everyone's first choice in the face of less structured , less fussy? approaches to good food. In a year when we've enjoyed eating at Dabbous, Roganic (pity its gone) Lima and The Corner Room we wondered whether we'd like Royal Hospital Road quite as much as we did. The competition now isn't just Marcus Wareing, Jason Atherton et al, who largely serve similar food , but a small raft of new places bringing fresh approaches, new flavours and in general, informality. Its not a “top half dozen” any more but a top dozen. We were curious about how the restaurant may have reacted to this and indeed how we may react after a year away. The restaurant was full, and the meal we had today was hugely enjoyable. It was for me, as good as any meal I've eaten in 2013 ( though my wife thought her salmon tart starter rather dull) There were signs in the amuse-bouche and the starters that a slight change in the direction of the “new wave”. But nothing that's going to disturb those who turn up with expectations firmly fixed. The basic trademarks of fabulous ingredient quality, perfectly timed cooking, considerable intensity and the ability to pick out individually each of the ingredients in a dish are all still there, and I don't know anywhere that delivers these things better or more smoothly. But do they still deliver the best restaurant experience in London? And are they worth the £187 that two set lunches, a bottle of wine from close to the bottom of the list, two coffees and service cost? For us probably yes, but its close. And today at lunch half the tables and two thirds of the customers were people who were plainly tourists from Japan, China or parts nearby. Several middle-aged couples. No young people at all and no obvious business lunches. Of course tonight and tomorrow might be very different, but I'd hate to think of this restaurant as a tourist attraction whilst the aspirational UK young stand in the rain outside the appropriately named Pitt -Cue.

Mr. Tim Z

03 July 2013
To admit upfront I'm not a GR fan at all, rather the contrary as he is the example of a great chef going way over the top, mass merchandise himself and completely loosing focus and as result quality. Having said that, for quite some time he is no longer cooking here anyway (probably and arguably for the better) and the food is amazing. Very attentative service with a tiny setting with just a few tables. You'll be treated to high-end top haute cuisine. No experimental or innovative touches but extremely well made top food. You pay the bill for that (but that you'd have to expect at such a place). One let-down is the 2 shift setting for dinner, ie you either have to go early and be done by 9:30 or late, not ideal as you will typically enjoy a multi course dinner at a restaurant like this

Mr. Richard B

07 February 2012
This is without a doubt the best restaurant i have ever been to. The only problem is that the quality of food and service spoils you for anything else. My daughter and I could probably described as “foodies” but when you have had the best, forget the rest. One or even two Micheline stars is not good enough any more. If you go anywhere else and pay £100/£200 for dinner this place is a bargain. What price perfection? It is expensive but so is a Chanel handbag.

Mr. Toby N

11 January 2012
My first time dining at Gordon Ramsay’s signature restaurant to celebrate (?) my 40th birthday – incidentally it’s depressing, if clever, to see that I’ve now automatically become a ‘40’s male’ on Square Meal when only a couple of days ago I was happily a ‘30’s male’ – and it was an amazing, if costly, treat. Clearly the venue comes lauded with praise from most who dine there, and its one of only 4 in the UK with the maximum 3 stars from Michelin and it’s the first time I’ve managed to attend one of these temples of gastronomy. First impressions are that it’s compact and sleek, rather than massive and showy. Staff are simply wonderful – you get treated as though you are a regular and everything is achieved so smoothly as to be largely invisible, but you don’t wait, glasses almost appear to fill themselves, you get clear communication on what is on the menu and when one of our party who doesn’t eat shellfish was presented, unknowingly, with a lobster cornet as part of the pre starters it was replaced almost instantaneously with an avocado alternative. We also got a quick tour of the kitchen, which is cleaner than most operating theatres, on our way out. Some people have noted that it seems to be one of those places you feel you should whisper – we didn’t get that impression; whilst there isn’t any music the atmosphere at 7pm on a Tuesday in January was fine – lots of conversation, but not noise and everyone smartly dressed. The food is spectacular and it was the best meal I’ve ever eaten. You get a lovely selection of 3 pre starters, including the lobster cornet and a quails egg, each of which tastes perfect and which you’d neither add anything too nor take anything away from, each one having subtle but full flavours, and a delicious selection of bread (I can recommend the rosemary and the potato and honey) before starters of which you can get as much as you’d like. I started with ravioli of lobster, langoustine and salmon poached in a light bisque with a lemongrass and chervil velouté – one single large ravioli with the lightest pasta I’ve ever eaten filled with a selection of flavours all of which complemented each other to perfection. This was followed by best end of Cotswold lamb with confit breast and braised shank, navarin of winter vegetables and vitelotte potatoes – the only complaint was that you wished for more of it as it was perfect, the lamb pink and full of taste, with wonderful contrasts between the different methods of preparation. In between courses was a pre dessert of a mango and yogurt milkshake – simply wonderful, even if getting the last little bit did entail some rather out of keeping slurping noises. Dessert was banoffee pie souffle, banana and salted caramel crumble – the only minor quibble was this was just really good rather than wholly exceptional; it’s not better than the soufflé at the likes of Roux. Overall it was wonderful – thankfully I wasn’t paying the bill though I’d expect something in the region of £150-170 per head given 3 courses on the a la carte menu are £95, then add wine, water, service etc – but it’s a truly magical experience and just about the only thing that made being 40 a little bit better. Hopefully I’ll get to return soon.

Ms/Mrs. Catharine I

13 April 2011
Best restaurant in London but I have only been able to afford this three times in my life, so it is a very special treat. What I love is the Maitre d' Jean-Claude Breton make's you feel like you are a regular and you are treated the same as the man with the Bentley and the ladies with the rocks if not better as he seems to know it really is a special treat. My other half loves the fact he always gets to the bathrooms before him to open the door and has never missed, nice little touches. Boxed chocolates to take away and a tour of the kitchen when I took my brother for is 21st birthday. Nothing is to much bar the bill! Nice that you can afford a bottle of wine but the wine list makes you feel intimated with the size and the price. Clean and crisp decor and a very relaxed ambience which makes the time just drift by. I love this restaurant I just wish I could go more often.

Other restaurants near Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

You are requesting to book Restaurant Gordon Ramsay for people on at .