Purnell's

Modern European

Call Purnell's to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Purnell's

As one of the original stars of Birmingham’s resurgent foodie scene, local boy Glyn Purnell’s flagship restaurant knows exactly how to satisfy its customers by offering a series of light-hearted menus full of kooky but highly convincing ideas. The version entitled ‘Purnell’s journey’ might take you from ‘faux’ Black Canary potatoes with chorizo via monkfish masala with pickled carrots to white chocolate délice with Yorkshire rhubarb and meringue, while ’10 years in the making’ features the likes of ‘1,2,3,4,5... once I caught a fish alive!’ (tuna sashimi, Orkney scallop, black garlic, dashi, seaweed etc) or rump of Wiltshire lamb with smoked aubergine, capers and basil. Diners who fancy some fun can also book for ‘Brummie tapas’ in Purnell’s ‘living room’, where the line-up runs from carpaccio of Herefordshire beef with braised octopus, bresaola, crème fraîche and sweet ‘n’ sour onions to a dessert involving blood orange, white chocolate and dried viola flowers. Well-spaced tables and smart, neutral decor suit the business crowd as well as courting couples, while polished staff rarely fluff their lines. “A brilliant and unusual dining experience”, concludes one fan – and we concur.

Good to know about Purnell's

Modern European

Location for Purnell's

55 Cornwall Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 2DH

Opening Times of Purnell's

Tues-Fri 12N-1.30pm Tues-Sat 7-9.30pm

Reviews of Purnell's

Ms/Mrs. Joanna G

If you get the chance to eat here, don’t hesitate!
22 February 2016
We had the Brummie tapas at Purnell’s on Saturday night, and had a really fun evening. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, the sommelier didn’t make his way to the Lounge where we were seated but the very able and sociable restaurant manager, Sonal recommended 3 wines to accompany and follow our meal that were fabulous (we started with champagne). The way that the tapas menu works is that people working in the kitchen get to come out and present each course, explain the dish and have a quick chat and then head back to the kitchen, which makes this a really interesting dining experience. My stand-out dishes were the Lime and potato croquettes with mayo, Monkfish tikka with coriander sauce and spicy lentil dhal and the 10/10/10 custard egg, but everything we ate was superb. I had informed the restaurant in advance that this was my sisters’ birthday meal, and pre-ordered a signed copy of Glynn Purnell’s “Cracking Yolks and Pig Tales”, which they presented along with a delicious pastry dessert and birthday message. Would love to come back but it’s a 5 hour round trip, but never say never……

Ms/Mrs. Sarah L

20 September 2011
Ate at Purnells for a friends 40th. We were a group of six. We were all thrilled with the service and the food. We had the 8 course tour with the degustation of wine and Krug supplement, and it was worth every penny. Even foods that I wouldn't normally eat, ie goats cheese was transformed into a melt in the mouth dish. The service was second to none and a signed menu had been left for the birthday girl as Glynn was at the Ludlow food festival. The waiters could not have been more charming. If there are foods you dont like they will substitute it with a different dish. I cannot reccomend this restaurant highly enough. You will not be dissappointed. I fully intend to return.

Ms/Mrs. maria S

23 November 2009
My husband and I travelled 120 miles to visit this restaurant and it was worth every mile. The food was absolutely fantastic. we had the 8 course tour which I can strongly recommend. Every course was a delight and an adventure of flavour, textures and smells. The staff were absolutely brilliant and made it my best birthday ever. The front of house staff were amazing, professional, on the ball and very friendly. The chef is an absolute genius, we loved every course, he manages to combine ingredients in a way I have never experienced before, from the poached egg yolk with cornflakes, haddock foam and curry oil to the melt in your mouth chocolate mousse with mango sorbet every mouthful was amazing.

Ms/Mrs. Katharine G

17 November 2008
This is my favourite restaurant ever. I love the layout, where you're intimate, but never too close to another table. We like to eat here on special occasions. The food is always well presented and it is unusual with its Brummie sense of humour and mix of ingredients, especially some of the amuse bouches. The homemade bread is delicious. The staff are excellent, knowlegeable and attentive. Decent wine list. I hope Glyn Purnell gets back his Michelin star. He thoroughly deserves it. Highly recommended.

Other restaurants near Purnell's

Opus

Opus

Ginger's Bar

Ginger's Bar

You are requesting to book Purnell's for people on at