American fast food chain Wendy’s has announced the full menu for its first UK location in twenty years.
While this isn’t the first time Wendy’s has brought its outlets to Britain (the originals didn't last), this time things seem even more ambitious. The BBC has reported that Wendy’s has its eye on opening up to 400 outlets nationwide and will use the move as a springboard to expand further into Europe in time.
After setting up here in the 1980s and 1990s, Wendy’s finally departed the UK in 2001. Property costs and overheads were cited as the reason for them closing their restaurants, with the brand saying expansion at the time wasn’t possible.
Time away from the UK market hasn’t dented the burger giant’s success, however. Wendy’s is the third biggest burger chain in the world, only preceded by McDonald’s and Burger King. The brand already owns nearly seven thousand sites worldwide, with locations spanning thirty countries, and has said it wants to take the crown from McDonald's in the UK eventually.
Famed for its range of burgers – that run from classic hamburgers and breakfast burgers through to more unusual pretzel burgers and croissant burgers – Wendy’s also offers diners classics like chicken nuggets, fries and milkshakes. To support its place in the fast-food market Wendy’s UK sites will pay special attention to creating a quick and convenient service for customers. Diners will be able to order through an app before they arrive, choose to use kiosks in store or put through their chosen items via the traditional counter. Additionally, there will be a walk-up window for those in a rush to grab a bite to eat at, and for delivery drivers to be able to use.
According to the BBC Wendy’s has already confirmed that it will be working with Uber Eats to ensure its offering of fast food is also available on a delivery basis.
Wendy's UK locations: where will they be?
At the moment Wendy’s has confirmed that initially they will open four sites across the UK but have only listed three areas. While their target of 400 total new restaurants might take some time, we expect there’ll be Wendy’s popping up at quite a pace once they get started and London has been rumoured as the location for the fourth outlet. Here’s where the initial three will be based:
• Reading (opening in June)
• Stratford (opening late 2021)
• Oxford (opening late 2021)
Wendy’s UK menu
While much of the menu at Wendy’s UK branches will be the same as the American counterparts across the pond, there will be some uniquely British creations too as the brand has confirmed it will include more vegetarian options in line with local demand. Wendy’s has revealed all of its menu items that will be available in the UK, including the perennially popular Dave’s Burger. Here’s what to expect:
Classic Wendy's dishes
• Dave’s Single burger: Already one of the brand’s most popular serves, this quarter pounder is topped with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mayo and onions. That’s all sandwiched in a toasted bun.
• Chocolate Frosty: Those with a sweet tooth are sure to enjoy the signature Wendy’s dessert which is somewhere between a milkshake and an ice cream. It’s scoopable with a spoon while also fine to drink with a straw – take your pick.
• Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich: Another favourite of Wendy’s fans, this chicken burger is made up of a breast coated in a unique spice mix which is then topped with lettuce, tomato and mayo for a classic combo.
• Wendy’s Baconator: A 100% British beef burger topped with Applewood smoked bacon.
• Baked Potatoes: The classic British supper is already one of Wendy's signature serves and can be crowned with all manner of fillings.
• Baconator fries: Wendy's fries topped with bacon.
• Wendy’s famous Chili con Carne: The fast food restaurant's spin on the home-style classic.
UK exclusive Wendy’s dishes
• Veggie Stack: A black bean, grains and vegetables patty topped with Emmental cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and garlic mayonnaise.
• Veggie Bites: Fried vegetable chunks rolled in breadcrumbs.
• Avocado Chicken Salad: If you prefer a lighter lunch then Wendy’s is also bringing a range of salads to its UK menu. This one – naturally – includes chicken and avocado, but also has cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, bacon, and a ranch dressing.
Wendy’s UK breakfast menu (served daily until 10.30am)
• The Breakfast Baconator: A sausage patty topped with smoky bacon strips, melted American cheese, egg, and a dollop of Hollandaise sauce, served between a toasted brioche bun.
• Croissant Sandwiches: The classic French snack comes filled with ham or cheese.
• Classic Egg & Cheese Sandwich: Served with optional bacon or sausage.
• Coffees: Flat Whites, Cappuccinos and Lattes are all available.
Wendy’s menu prices
The full menu for Wendy’s UK hasn’t been released yet, so we’re not sure of pricing. We’re expecting the burgers to be in line with the American offering, with meals coming in at an affordable price point.
Wendy’s UK opening dates
Wendy’s has confirmed that its first restaurant will open on 2 June 2021, with two more sites following in the second half of the year.
Is Wendy’s UK halal?
Wendy’s in America isn’t halal, and so far, there have been no announcements on the UK’s ingredients. Depending on restrictions you could enjoy things like the fries and milkshakes on the menu, but always check with your server before ordering.
Did you know you can now buy a Pret a Manger croissant in Tesco?