Mon Plaisir

French

About Mon Plaisir

Since opening in the 1940s, this jaunty theatreland bistro has found favour with famous figures from General de Gaulle to legendary thespians, and the curios adorning its sprawling dining room are fond reminders of its true Gallic heart. On the menu, hearty nostalgic dishes and cross-Channel favourites such as rib-sticking coq au vin or blush-pink entrecôte with matchstick fries sit alongside holiday classics including pissaladière with olive tapenade or garlicky snails doused in parsley butter – all complemented by patriotic French wines. To conclude, the ripe cheeseboard is a whiffy wonder to behold, while desserts feature the spectacular Paris-Londres – a gut-busting tangle of sugar-dusted choux pastry, praline cream and spun caramel. Warm, hospitable staff bolster the entente cordiale, while pre/post-theatre crowds generate a lively buzz. ‘You’ll never stop going back’, affirms one fan.

Good to know about Mon Plaisir

French
Buzzy, Traditional
Romantic

Special offers from Mon Plaisir

Pre and Post theatre menu 2 course 18.95 and 3 courses £20.95 FREE COFFEE

From: 21 January, 2019
To: 30 April, 2019
This offer is available from January 21, 2019 until April 30, 2019, subject to availability as displayed in the booking interface. Not available in conjunction with other offers. Offer excludes service.

Daily changing Lunch Menu 2 courses £18.95 and 3 courses £20.95

From: 22 January, 2019
To: 30 April, 2019
This offer is available from January 22, 2019 until April 30, 2019, subject to availability as displayed in the booking interface. Not available in conjunction with other offers. Offer excludes service.

Daily changing Lunch Menu 2 courses £18.95 and 3 courses £20.95

From: 22 January, 2019

3 courses for £29.95 per person

From: 3 January, 2019
To: 28 February, 2019
This offer is available from January 3, 2019 until February 28, 2019, subject to availability as displayed in the booking interface. Not available in conjunction with other offers. Offer excludes service.

3 courses for £29.95 per person

Opening Times of Mon Plaisir

Mon-Sat 12N-2.15pm 5.45-11.15pm

Reviews of Mon Plaisir

24 April 2015

I used to love Mon Plaisir - everything enjoyable about Gallic eating, noisy, bustling, centuries of food and cooking, classic dishes, busy staff, competent not unctuous - a celebration of good brasserie eating. I hadn't been for years and night before last I couldn't believe how much we, the British foodie, has grown up and the over-riding impression that Mon Plaisir has not. Just like we have now had a mouthful of Chilean Malbec, rather than a thin Vin de Pays form the borders of a French wine region, we expect so much more from people who cook for us. A cassoulet can do more, rich flavours, herbs, deep colour, sausage that has infused the dish, and a piece of duck that has been brought to life by cooking not blanched in Tupperware in the catering fridge. It reminded me of the early Italian restaurants in 70's London, where 'pasta plus sauce' was enough for the Brits to think we were eating like Italians. So ..........the kitchen at Mon Plaisir has slept through four decades of the British restaurant industry, the staff are still competent and characterful, and the cheese tray/basket/selection is, well, it's as spectacular and eye-popping as you would expect in an old school French restaurant - but then it hasn't been cooked.

15 June 2013

I've been frequenting this restaurant on and off for over ten years and my latest visit leads me to believe the owners are somewhat going through the motions. The food we had was competently cooked but not spectacular, I have memories of this place Wowing, not sure if it's a case of the rose-tinted specs. We had steak entrecote (staple dish on the menu and a host of sides) however whilst the meal was good it wasn't stunning. You could tell they cut corners on certain things which were not freshly prepared. The sauces has skins on them leading me to believe they had been reheated from a batch made in the morning. Nothing terrible about the experience but nothing also urging me to rush back either,

30 November 2011

I think this might have been the worst meal I have ever had in a London restaurant and I have had my fair share of disappointments. The menu reads well, is nice and short leading the diner to think that if they only do a few dishes they are masters of them rather than a jack of all trades. Prices seem reasonable. My soupe a l'oignon was tepid and a bit tasteless, unremarkable in every way but streets ahead of the main course of coq au vin. You would expect the oldest french restaurant in London to do a very capable classic dish like this. Served in an attractive cocotte there was hardly any sauce and the chicken was incredibly dry and overcooked leading me to believe it had been put in the oven the day the restaurant opened 50 years ago. 3 of us had that dish and it was equally poor. On informing the waitress I got a sullen, “Ok, I tell the chef.” It wasn't ok – a verbal tic and an innappropriate one. My sister had steak tartare which she said at least that couldn't be overcooked and it looked fine. Maybe we caught the chef on an off day but it is difficult to imagine how a restaurant can serve food this poorly and survive for 50 years.

02 March 2010

It was my worst experience in London I was expecting a typical French restaurant and it was pretty much the opposite. We were 3 people on a Monday evening dinner. Two of us took culin meat (onglet). We were astonished by the number of nerves in our plates, honestly we never saw so many nerves! We ask to the waiter to acknowledge it, he politely pass the message to his manager who told him in French “what can they expect with this sort of meat” (unfortunately for her I speak French), a meat at £17 + £3 side dish because there was barely a small potato coming with the meat. We were disgusted and decided to leave without taking a dessert. They gave us the bill with no discount and we had to pay for the service charge. This is the last time I step a foot in this restaurant and I strongly recommend to avoid it.

Other restaurants near Mon Plaisir

You are requesting to book Mon Plaisir for people on at