Kettner's Townhouse

International

SquareMeal Review of Kettner's Townhouse

Famous as the restaurant founded in 1867 by Auguste Kettner, the private chef of Emperor Napoleon III (Bonaparte’s nephew), and as the location of interval-time trysts between King Edward VII and Lillie Langtry, Kettner’s has been given the ‘Townhouse’ treatment by new owner Soho House. As at Dean Street Townhouse, there are now 30 or so bedrooms upstairs, while the downstairs restaurant and Champagne Bar have both been spruced up, and a fabulous Piano Bar added for good measure. The bars, in particular, look lovely, all low lighting and marble surfaces and conveying something of the metropolitan élan and exclusivity of the Soho House members’ clubs. The dining room, in contrast, feels rather provincial, an effect enhanced by the fussy plaster mouldings (original, and Grade II-listed) and a French-inspired menu that seems self-consciously special occasion but fails to rise to the occasion. Small plates and starters were the best bits: cheesy gougères, comforting French onion tart and bracingly wintry crab with celeriac remoulade and russet apple. Mains were far less assured: roast Banham chicken tasted only of truffle not chook and omelette Arnold Bennett was a very limp imitation of the Savoy classic. Breakfast (lobster royale) and pre/post-theatre (any three courses for £22) may be better bets, or eat small plates instead in the bars, with two dozen wines by the glass and beautifully served classic cocktails.

Good to know about Kettner's Townhouse

Opening Times of Kettner's Townhouse

Mon-Sat 7am-1am (Sat 8am- ) Sun 8am-12M

Reviews of Kettner's Townhouse

Mr. Timothy P

Efficient and tasty pre-theatre meal
01 May 2015
Kettner's was one of the restaurants recommended on the Palace Theatre website; we were attending the Commitments show there, and it is right behind the theatre. We arrived just before 6pm, had a choice of seating and the service was attentive and efficient (thanks to Israel the Brazilian waiter). We eschewed the pre-theatre offering, rather limited at 3 choices each course, and went a la carte; fresh duck salad and a crab starter were followed by delicious tender venison with a cocoa sauce (I ordered more of that) and a roast halibut. A side of carrots were quite dry and unbuttered (so ordered some butter). A variety of wines by the glass in the £7-8 range and a bottle of sparkling water brought the bill to just over £100 before service. pretty respectable for the quality of food and the ability to get us out within 1 hour and 15 mins. The room filled up pretty fast, and was quite noisy, with 2 large groups of celebrating ladies; but we got a window table and it was fine.

Charles C

Disappointing recommendation
26 September 2014
Visited Kettners following recommendation from friends.Very busy restaurant ,obviously popular, we were therefore excited about our visit. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff. there the good things stopped. We chose the pre-theatre dinner menu. Choice of starters was reasonable and our starters were good. However the choice of mains was very poor, only 3 to choose from. We both chose Plaice which was very dry and tasteless, on a small ration of some type of tasteless potatoes and we think vegetables, but could not be sure. the meal lacked a good sauce. I asked for a beer and was offered only a Swiss beer called 1936, which was of poor quality. A very poor meal which was not inexpensive. Will not be revisiting.

Ms/Mrs. lesley L

06 May 2014
food was good atmosphere is fantastic, staff were so nice and helpfull, price was good love this place. and love all the history.

Mr. Bob T

04 May 2014
We have been 2 or 3 times now for pre/post theatre meals,and find it ideal.You can choose from set menu,2/3 courses,with plenty of good dishes,or go a la carte,bit more expensive,but not bad given the location. Had belly of pork dish,and mullet.both very tasty, wine by glass or bottle , fairly reasonable prices, service quiuck but good , friendly, informative

Ms/Mrs. Shiona M

29 April 2014
I first visited Kettners with my father in 1954. As I then lived in Scotland for many years and only visited occasionally. In the last year have returned 3 times. on each occasion I have had a great experience, and would plan to visit again. An excellent meal with superb service.

Ms/Mrs. Vanessa G

Buzzy atmosphere starts from 1pm
10 February 2014
I booked this restaurant on behalf of my colleague. He and his guest thoroughly enjoyed their lunch. Food and wine were really good he said. But he did mention that when arriving for their 1215 reservation it was really quiet and that the atmosphere picked up an hour later. So if you want a restaurant with a great atmosphere and buzz book after 1pm.

Ms/Mrs. Victoria M

Festive spirit
11 December 2013
The restaurant is full of festive spirit with all the decorations and a lovely christmas tree. Along with that come the fully booked tables occupied by happy people so the room fills with so much noise it's hard to hear each other over the table. Even the pianist was hard to hear and it seemed like there was no background music at all. That aside, the staff were friendly and welcoming and working very efficiently as a team. The service was good, the food was very good, the place is clean and pleasant. We had starters of onion soup, pumpkin salad (looked like a main size if you ask me!) and grilled goats cheese; mains of peppered salmon, duck breast and pork belly – all very tasty and portions generous. Will be back to taste the rest of the menu!

Highly recommended
14 September 2013
I visited this restaurant for dinner this week and took advantage of the summer menu offer. The food was delicious, the service superb and the atmosphere great.

Ms/Mrs. Alexandra G

Post theatre set menu
20 May 2013
I couldnt fault the post theatre set menu. It offered excellent value for money and my Mushroom Soup starter was superb, matched by the Pork Cheeks with a fabulous mash for main. My partner ate off the a al carte and was also suitabley impressed. The bar buzzed for pre dinner drinks and the restaurant was full. We asked for a romantic table and were given one… faultless service. All in all a winner post show, just wish Jersey Boys had been as good!

Ms/Mrs. Sarah D

Let down
19 March 2013
I was very much looking forward to my meal at what I understood was one of Londons best eateries. How wrong was I looked at the Menu online and all those lovely photos that come with it the night before and believed I was in for a culanary treat. The starter of Pressed oie Gras and Turkey Terrine resembled and looked like a scotch egg made by some Norfolk Turkey farmer you know the one. My Duck confit tasted stale and wasn't crispy at all. I could go on about the rest of the meal but there is not anythning positive to say. The service was good and they were very appologetic and tried to offer me other dishes. An over priced Disappointment.

Other restaurants near Kettner's Townhouse

You are requesting to book Kettner's Townhouse for people on at