Japanese, Vegan, Vegetarian

SquareMeal Review of Itadaki Zen

Itadaki Zen defines itself as Europe’s first organic and vegan Japanese restaurant. The concept should work (there’s a long tradition of vegan cooking in the home country), but the food here can sometimes lack oomph. Sushi ‘sans fish’ is pretty unexciting, but moreish spring rolls and vegetable tempura get a thumbs up, as does a full-flavoured salad of spinach and tofu. Udon noodles tossed with seaweed, sesame oil and nuts has been a tad bland, although another version, served cold with vegetable tempura and a wasabi-laced dressing, packs a little more punch. Unfussy, minimal surroundings suit the culinary ethic, and pleasant staff add to the calming vibe. Just the ticket for a trendy detox.

Japanese, Vegan, Vegetarian

Location for Itadaki Zen

139 King's Cross Road, London, WC1X 9BJ

Mon-Sat 12N-3pm 6-10.30pm (Fri-Sat -11pm)

Reviews of Itadaki Zen

Ms/Mrs. Hannah T

14 March 2012
Good: It's a ncie small size, and the minimalist decor help to set the mood. To start with, we had harumaki, mixed sushi and garlic sushi. The harumaki (springrolls) were wonderful as well as quite unique to other restaurants, I wish I'd ordered more of them! The garlic sushi was interesting, and I think I might try my hand at making some rolls at home. The main meals were fun, I had tempura on top of rice. The rice was a little plain, but the tempura made up for this. Not so good: The mixed sushi plate was quite plain, nothing really stood out in terms of flavour, I wouldn't order it again. While there is a selection of dishes, a lot of the main meals were quite similar to each other and the portions were a bit on the small side. I was a bit chilly, though I acknowledge that this isn't a huge thing to moan about. Overall: It was nice eating here, and most of the food was interesting, tasty and I felt the prices were fair. I would go back, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to do so.

Other restaurants near Itadaki Zen

You are requesting to book Itadaki Zen for people on at .