Spanish·
London, EC3V 9AY ·Website ·Call020 7621 0338

SquareMeal Review of Hispania

The ground floor of Lloyds Bank's former headquarters is the setting for this "impeccable" Spanish aristocrat – a beautiful space with lofty ceilings, glossy tiled floors and an imposing central staircase. Antlers and framed prints ?add to the air of a noble old hacienda, soft lighting tames its potentially intimidating vastness and the "upmarket tapas" is spot-on – thanks to the presence of high-flying chef Marcos Morán. Graze on hand-carved acorn-fed Ibérico ham or crujientes de quesos (crunchy toffee-flavoured filo pastries stuffed with cheese) before tackling the roast Segovian suckling pig, braised oxtail with roasted onion and pine nuts or perhaps baked cod fillet with chickpeas and jellied spinach. Champagnes aside, the wine list is an all-Spanish affair, with some classy (and pricey) Riojas to tempt City palates. Service is "ever improving" and there's a definite buzz about the place nowadays that wasn't quite there when it opened.

Spanish

28 June 2019
Tapas is spot on here!

Paul G

09 May 2017
Top Tapas in the City. Excellent service and attitude.

matthew W

04 May 2017
Great food , great selection of wines and terrific atmosphere.

EMILIA J

02 June 2016
For the great tapas experience, look no further- genuine dishes from across Spain, you won't be disappointed.

Guillaume C

30 June 2014
Very attentive staff, accurate service and advice by people who seem to like the food they serve. A good experience, exactly the same food as the one you could expect in a Madrid tapas bar. I enjoyed the fact it was true Spanish food without any “foreign” influence.

Charles O

29 April 2014
Maybe i caught the guys on a bad day but to paraphrase the blessed Oscar – to get it wrong once is unfortunate but to get it wrong as many times as they did is just plain careless! We started out sitting at the counter (which we had reserved) in front of the bar. We arrived in good time for our 1pm reservation but it took twenty minutes for our waiter to bring one of my guests the drink we ordered; when he did come he had forgotten to bring another drink we had ordered at the same time; he apologised profusely and, as an excuse, said that there was only one barman. We didn’t get to order food until 1.35pm despite trying to catch someone’s attention for about 15 minutes and then as we were waiting for our food, we were asked if we would like to move to a table; I didn’t really want to move but it was put to us in such a way that it was was kind of ‘look guys we need you to move’ so we did. The food we ordered was average at best; the Calamari were overcooked and the Albondigas cold. The Merluza was delicious but the waiter took the plate away whilst we were trying to eat the peppers!! To add insult to injury one of my guests (who is a vegetarian) ordered a green salad and was given a tuna salad. We had virtually finished our meal when his green salad eventually arrived at 2.20pm and he had to leave at 2.30pm When we left I spoke to the head waiter and she kept apologising but it seems to me they are trying to do too much with too few staff and we suffered as a consequence. to add insult to injury I wrote to them about our experience along similar lines to this and they could not be bother to reply – nuff said, as Oscar would not say!

Worldwide-foodie L

Hispania - one year later - thumbs up!
19 February 2014
I had not been in Hispania recently and coming back , I promised , that would revisit my first initial rating.. as it was good then but now even better.. I am HAPPY to put my thumbs up! Hispania and its outstanding food is now consolidated in the City! The food is superb and very creative, from the hands of a Michelin Spanish Chef, its quality ingredients, impecable execution, presentation and most importantly, this remains to give the right of reasons to come back from a foodie perspective! – as I can try new things. Hispania has tapas, but also allows to choose mains in the menu.. sometimes I miss this in some Spanish restaurants in London. Finally, it has great and varied selection in the wine list . Athmosphere remains great. Overall, I think is a well priced restaurant in London. Staff is very kind and polite, perhaps some more eye contact… and my mark will be “excellent” ! Congrats Hispania team from World-wide foodie!

martin M

terrible experience from indifferent staff
26 November 2013
just because you have a great address around the corner from the City's two best restaurants and bars like LOMBARD St and Cot d'Argent does not mean you just can pick up on their coat tails..the staff are unwelcome, the staff have no interest in City clients, the staff are out of their way rude (just wanting to stick you with incorrect credit card bills)…so basically the place is set up for one reason and one only…yes you guessed..give me your money…and if your party pays three times that's all fine…very aggressive and unprofessional for such a great loking place…who owns this place and who runs it !!!

Santanu G

Best Spanish Food in London
21 July 2013
Hispania is probably one of the best things to have to the dining scene in London. Starting off at the bar with some croquettas / some Jamon Iberico and an awesome Albarino set the stage for the evening. Since, it was Monday evening it was quiet enough to get great attention. For dinner, we started off with the salmorejo (which is variation of the Andalucian Gazpacho) with quail egg was quite unique. The black rice squid was essentially out of the world and I will savor its flavor for a long time to come. Other dishes that stood out were the “El secreto” flavorful pork cuts with honey,the asparagus tempura and the fried calamari. The food was no doubt excellent but what is more important I think Hispania has recreated a bit of Spain in London – its fine food, wine culture and history. Highly recommended for any Hispanophile!

Cristina G

Best Spanish Restaurant in London
21 July 2013
I recently had dinner in Hispania with a group of friends and we had the best Spanish food in London. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try authentic high quality Spanish cuisine. The food is simply amazing. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is elegant and inviting. We had a lot of different dishes and shared them and all them were spectacular. We started with some outstanding ham and Manchego cheese. I love ham and this one was really good and nicely carved! We also had some of the delicious Hispania croquetas and an amazing tuna tartare. I also loved the tempura asparagus with a tasty sauce (Romescu) and the pantumaca (bread with tomato). We ordered a dish called “Secreto Iberico”. You have to try it! It's a very fine piece of pork meat with a nice apple sauce. Just delicious! We all had a delicious cold soup called “Salmorejo”. I loved it and it was very refreshing, perfect for a warm day as the one we had! Don't miss the “Arroz Negro”, we all loved it. Very nicely cooked rice with seafood (as good as the one you can get in Spain!). Dessert anyone? Yes!!! We ordered “torrijas”: A-m-a-z-i-n-g!! It's the Spanish version of “French toast” but 10 times better :) Did I forget anything? Wait! The wine selection is great and we were not disappointed with the wonderful Albarino we chose. I also loved the decor: subtle lights, beautiful paintings and colors. It's a great place for meeting up with friends, a romantic dinner, business meeting …special celebration or just a casual drink at the end of the day! I'll definitively be back next time I'm in London.

Other restaurants we like near Hispania

1 Lombard Street

1 Lombard Street

The Folly

The Folly

Temper City

Temper City

Book Hispania for people on at .