Afternoon tea, International

SquareMeal Review of Ham Yard at Ham Yard Hotel

Taking over a previously deserted site on the western edge of Soho, Ham Yard Hotel is the latest addition to the Firmdale Hotels chain. The venture has a distinct ‘urban village’ feel, with a tree-filled garden providing the focal point – complete with a specially commissioned bronze sculpture by Tony Cragg. In addition to the Ham Yard Restaurant, the hotel also has its own self-contained bar where punters can sip drinks while nibbling on chorizo sausage rolls with rapeseed mayo, BBQ octopus with pickled white cabbage, truffled mascarpone and ham melts, pulled pork sliders and other small plates. And if you need cooling down, one of their ice-cream sandwiches should do the trick.

Afternoon tea, International

Best Outside and Alfresco Restaurants in London

Location for Ham Yard at Ham Yard Hotel

One Ham Yard, Piccadilly Circus, London, W1D 7DT

020 3642 2000

Mon-Sat 7am-11pm (Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of Ham Yard at Ham Yard Hotel

Lisa V

08 July 2019
For always delivering a great night out.

Laura C

31 July 2018
Wonderful ambiance, great food, attentive staff- everything was cooked and delivered to perfection- no stress dining experience.

Fiona D

Lovely place but food only average
25 July 2017
Lovely place, incredibly attentive staff. Food looked and tasted okay but it wasn't anything special. Definitely one of this me times I wish I'd gone elsewhere and as I was trying to treat a girlfriend it was even more of a let down. Happy to pay the service charge that was included. I would go back to have a few drinks but not to eat.

Emma F

09 May 2017
Good food and drink, very expensive and the service is snooty.

AmyM

Very average
23 October 2016
Everyone is raving about Ham Yard and so my mom and I decided to take advantage of their set lunch on a dull Wednesday lunchtime. The service is lovely, right from the get go. The hosts are charming, the bar tenders are efficient and the wait staff friendly. No complaints. However, it all went downhill with the food. I understand that set menus are no was the kitchen lives for, but this really was sent out with little TLC. Every dish we had hadn't been shown the seasoning at all, so was all reasonably flavourless. I had a pearl barley risotto for main, of which I am a huge fan, to find that it was stodgy, gluey and devoid of an discernible taste. My mother's fish was little better, being dry and incredibly dull. In fact we left the mains. The waiter asked if everything was ok when he came to clear and we were politely honest. At this, the manager appeared and was terribly apologetic and explained the the second chef was in the kitchen and not the head chef. (??!!) Shouldn't they all be able to cook? Aren't those recipes defined? I have eaten in Oscar and had a similar experience. I was hoping that being the new kid on the block, that the Ham Yard would be an improvement in the Firmdale stable, but sadly not.

Ema G

Brilliant staff and amazing place
25 September 2016
I've been there for the afternoon tea with my friend. We went there from a recommendation which I can say it was a very good one. we have enjoyed the food and the drinks. Keep it up!

Jane S

Great time, wished we'd had longer.
12 November 2015
Visited your restaurant last night for the set pre theatre meal. The staff were very friendly, attentive & nothing was too much trouble. The meal was good. We only had just over 1hr as we had to rush to the theatre but would love to come back & spend more time there. Our waiter who I'm sorry I didn't get his name was really nice & as it was my birthday bought over a birthday desert which was very unexpected .

Cait G

Lovely food with buzzing atmosphere even at 6pm!
10 May 2015
We went for a pre-theatre with only an hour timeframe for 2 courses. We were served promptly and our food came in an extremely timely manner without feeling rushed. The bar and restaurant were buzzing and it was only 6pm on a Sat. The pre-theatre menu was lovely, we all had something different and all really enjoyed out choices. The stone fish with home-made gnocchi was a stand out for me. Will def return when not under such time restrictions to make a 7 30 show.

Jill C

Disappointing
27 April 2015
Having read the previous reviews I was excited to try the food here, but was sadly disappointed. My starter of feta cheese, avocado & quinoa was bland, and the main course of John Dory was almost too salty to eat. I ordered a side of courgette fries, which were covered in breadcrumbs in a layer so thick the courgette flavour was obliterated. They did take this off the bill though, as I didn't eat them. The atmosphere was buzzy and the service was very good, however the food will not warrant a return.

Rebecca L

An experience of two halves...
24 January 2015
One day after visiting the Ham Yard and upon careful reflection, I'm still thinking exactly the same thing as when I left - I have never had a dining experience quite so contrasting in terms of the quality food and service. I'll start with the positives. My boyfriend and I visited on a busy Friday evening and the ambience in the restaurant which leads directly on from the bar was lively and buzzy. The dining room is extremely spacious and feels very luxurious, warm and modern. The food, quite simply, for the price, is incredible. It really is modern European food at it's absolute best. My starter of duck egg, white bean puree, burnt leeks, salsify and truffle was a delight. My boyfriend said the Malva pudding was one of the desserts he had ever tasted. The flavours of everything we ate were perfectly balanced and delicious and everything was beautifully presented. The wine list was interesting and extensive. I'm a huge fan of champagne and it was nice to see some lesser known names on the list, one of which is now my new favourite. Now for the not-so-positives - the service. Upon arrival, despite numerous staff passing by, we were waiting for 5 minutes to be seated. Even when a waitress did approach us and it was evident we had been waiting for some time, there was no apology or warm welcome. Our waiter delivered service rather flatly and really just didn't seem to grasp timing or pacing. For example, we made it clear we were ready to order by placing our menus to one side and some time passed but he chose to interrupt the conversation on the next table to attempt to take an order only to be told they weren't ready instead. In addition, our bottle of wine was kept in the wine bucket away from our table for some reason so we couldn't help ourselves and we had to request refills. It was all rather puzzling because I felt that it was just the basics that were lacking and that a dose of common sense and some personality could remedy all the problems. In mitigation, our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine list. I watched the rest of the staff and none of them seemed to be terribly attentive or enthusiastic so I suspect it's down to lack of leadership and training. In summary, if the Ham Yard resolve their issues with service it'll be one of the best eateries in London. Until then, I'm more than willing to put up with the shoddy service for such sublime food.

Other restaurants near Ham Yard at Ham Yard Hotel

You are requesting to book Ham Yard at Ham Yard Hotel for people on at .