Frantoio

Italian

Call Frantoio to make a booking on:

About Frantoio

Known for its down-home atmosphere and unthreatening Italian food, Frantoio has been ploughing its furrow on the World’s End stretch of King’s Road for years, but still manages to pull in a motley crew of Chelsea senior citizens, footie fans and families – even though it’s starting to look a tad provincial and “shabby”. Most locals value the place for its quaint, quirky charms, competitive prices and honest trattoria grub – from grilled baby squid or beef carpaccio with rocket and Parmesan to spinach and Ricotta ravioli, veal milanese or grilled halibut with olive oil and lemon. On a summer’s day, with the windows flung open, it can feel like being in Italy. The wine list is packed with Chiantis and other potable goodies from the homeland, while set menus are very popular at lunchtime.

Good to know about Frantoio

Italian

Location for Frantoio

397 King's Road, London, SW10 0LR

Opening Times of Frantoio

Mon-Sun 12.30-3pm 6.30-11.15pm

Reviews of Frantoio

09 December 2016

We went with our teenage children on recommendation of friends and this did not disappoint. Very friendly staff and the evening was catapulted to a new level by the in-house magician who performs on Thursdays and was enormous fun and we were staggered by his tricks. Straightforward and generous Italian fare with generous helpings and a classic authentic Italian atmosphere. No pretensions, and no music thank goodness just professional and attentive. Good value and will be added as a restaurant to return to.

15 December 2015

I adore my 18-year old niece. Yesterday, I spent a few hours looking at life through her lens, when I tried to book a restaurant with access suitable for her motorised (i.e. very heavy) wheelchair. I discovered that only 37 restaurants on Square Meal - IN THE WHOLE OF LONDON - have both wheelchair access and a disabled loo. Most of them are either at the very top end of the price/quality range, or they are in East London (or, indeed, both). All I wanted was to be able to get through the door, and to be able to have an enjoyable meal with friends and family. Doing this in Chelsea / South Kensington was actually unbelievably hard. Everywhere has at least one step into their entrance. Very, very few have tried to actually make themselves accessible for wheelchairs. So this is one big reason why I now love Frantoio. It is one of the very few restaurants with genuinely step-free access from the street, and enough space to easily accommodate a large wheelchair at the table. On top of that, the staff are great, and the menu offers some extremely well cooked Italian staples. The atmosphere is relaxed and convivial, and we all had a great time. As for SM's description of the clientele as "a motley crew of Chelsea senior citizens, footie fans and families" - while we were there, they also included the Prime Minister and his wife, dining quietly with friends. Not too motley! NB. Frantoio does not have a disabled loo. Which may be a problem for some. But is was fine for us.

02 November 2012

So it exists. An Italian restaurant in Chelsea, with zero pose factor, friendly service and most importantly of all excellent renderings of the kind of trattoria classics that will normally have one rushing to the nearest discount flight site to eat the real thing in Italy. Frantoio delivers on all fronts and is definitely been added to my must-gos. A family run affair, my friend and I arrived with no booking, but like that unexpected guest who is welcomed and immediately greeted with a feast we were seated at the bar area, and whilst a table was found, enjoyed a selection of Parma Ham, Salami Milano, Paramagiano and a glass of Prosecco to get the proverbial ball rolling. Looking around, our fellow diners all had the ‘repeat visitor’ vibe about them: ordering without looking at the menu, laughing, smiling and seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was a week night and work beckoned the following day. Unlike many of the other eating establishments in Chelsea, there was no overly thought out interior design concept, paps at the door or strange mood-lighting more akin to a nightclub than a restaurant. This was a space without pretention and where food and ambience were the main order of the day. It was late so we just had mains: I only had a mouthful of my companion’s lamb cutlets, but they were beautifully pink, succulent and not ruined by some ‘voguey’ sauce. What I can rhapsody about is my two pasta dishes: The first, spaghetti with crab; literally tasted like the sea. In a good way. The spaghetti hadn’t been boiled to oblivion, the sauce light and tomato based, operated almost like a dressing, allowing the crab, the hero on the plate to sing loudly and not be obscured by a din of other ingredients. My second pasta plate was pappardelle with venison . Whoever had cooked this had clearly treated it as a labour of love: slow braised venison with a ragu that was intense and almost smokey in flavour. In short the perfect late Autumnal treat. As I am always on the look-out for restaurants that are doing things excellently, I was rather perplexed to find mixed reviews for Frantoio: my advice to anyone who is a fan of delicious Italian regional fare that is served with a smile and will not break the bank is simply this: mission it down to the bottom of the Kings Road for this neighbourly treat.

03 January 2011

This is the third time we went, and undoubtedly the last! In the past the slightly grumpy and unsophisticated service has added to the charm, and the food has been ok, though not exceptional by any means. But this time one of the dishes (spaghetti vongole) had no flavour whatsoever – tasted of hot water, the garlic was raw, the “sauce” was hot water: we think it had been forgotten and cooked in a rush. I asked if the ingredients were fresh – the owner took offence, and returned with proof that they were. I then said ok, but the cook then didn't do a good job at cooking it. He shrugged his shoulders, told me that that was “a different issue”, and walked away. When he returned, I suggested that the cook try the food before serving it. The owner told me to stop moaning and that there were worse problems in the world, and I “should get over it”. No offer to give me something else, no offer to replace it, no apology – he just said he wouldn't charge me and again walked away. Unbelievable, and in my mind, unjustifiable arrogance. Anyway, in my naive view if people want your money, they should offer a decent service. The food does not forgive the appalling attitude, and sadly it seems that the staff follow the example of the owner! Good luck to them.

09 September 2010

I can't believe nor would many locals and non locals of the comments below and will be telling Bucci tomorrow when we go to celebrate our anniversary there that someone has had such a bad experience- I'm sure knowing him that he would wish to find out why the previous reviewer has had such a bad experience For a restaurant that is packed on Saturday lunchtimes with the football crowd to the families of the well suited on a Sunday not to forget the elderly Chelsea moneyed couple who have the same table at the same time every week make this place special This restaurant is a must for a family run atmosphere with a great set menu and a music stand packed with seasonal a la carte fish,meat and pasta dishes The large table at the back can accomodate 12-14 and is great for special occasions – everyone we have ever taken there has been very impressed and eveyone is made to feel like a regular. Its small but not cramped and on a sunny day the windows at the front open out making it feel like you are in another country The prices in an over saturated Kings Road Restaurant trade are v reasonable and I have paid much more for not so much at similar establishments in Surrey where we now live Bucci and his team are well known locally and I have never heard anyone with anything bad to say I would eat there every week if I didn't live so far away and which he had a establishment in our local village!!

Other restaurants near Frantoio

You are requesting to book Frantoio for people on at