Coya Angel Court

Peruvian·

SquareMeal Review of Coya Angel Court

Mayfair, the UAE… and now the Square Mile: diners in the world’s well-heeled honeypots can’t get enough of Arjun Waney’s Peruvian spin on his phenomenally successful Zuma concept.

Here in the Square Mile, softer acoustics make for a more-relaxed mood than at the ear-splitting original on Piccadilly, but otherwise the formula is pretty much the same: a bar serving lethal cocktails, a dining room decorated in a colour-supplement approximation of South American chic, and a menu of small sharing plates that ticks off the continent’s culinary greatest hits: ceviche and steak, tacos and tiraditos.

There was no faulting the quality of any of the ingredients we ate, but much of the subtlety was drowned out by the sort of assertive seasoning that suggested that this is food that needs to shout through the fog of a third Pisco Sour.

Skewers of springy ox heart with red pepper and parsley, and spicy beef fillet with shallots and star anise, both alas tasted mainly of their very savoury accompaniments.

Our fish dishes were better: soft-fleshed tuna ceviche with sesame, and a pretty arrangement of kingfish tiradito with truffle oil, had been dressed with restraint.

Best of all were tender tamarind-glazed pork ribs stacked like a pile of Jenga and festooned with fresh chilli and cashew nuts – as well as the avocados pounded together in a pestle and mortar at the table to make fresh guacamole.

But the most memorable thing about our meal was the friendliness of the staff, especially our charming sommelier who was as happy to recommend saké as Sauvignon to match the riot of South American flavours in the food.

Peruvian

Service 1
Atmosphere 3
Value 1
Worse service I've ever experienced

While the food was good, the service was the worst I've ever experienced. Staff were very rude and kept taking away drinks menus and food away from us even though we wanted to keep those for longer. Wait times for food were ridiculously long and even then meals were missing from our order. We also didn't get the table outside that we booked (it was no longer raining and it was clear that they just couldn't be bothered to wipe down those tables). Instead, the 5 of us were sat indoors, at a table clearly meant for 4 people, all crammed, and my plate was balancing on a gap between two tables pushed together the whole time. I wasn't expecting such awful service, let alone from such a pricey place and no one even apologised for any of this. Definitely won't be returning.

Eleanor J

08 July 2019
Great food, fun vibe, always a good night.

Maz P

08 July 2019
Absolute Team Favourite. Especially like the Pisco sours.

Emelina M

31 March 2019
Amazing food, serivce and ambience.

12 December 2018
Food & Drink 4
Service 4
Atmosphere 3.5
Value 4
When you want something quick and simple
Then this is the place to go.... it's just something that doesn't fuss or fidget... Does what it says on the can!

Siva P

12 December 2017
Food & Drink 4.5
Service 4.5
Atmosphere 4
Value 4
A taste of Peru
Food and drink were truly wonderful - a group of four had sharer starters and mains and were all hugely impressed. The sommelier was very helpful in recommending a red for the mains and we were suitably impressed with his choice ! I will certainly be back, but suspect that it is more a dinner venue than for lunch (unless lunch can be a drawn out and leisurely affair), which is no reflection on the service, more on the length of time it takes to choose behind the various delicious alternatives !

Angela C

26 October 2017
Food & Drink 5
Service 5
Atmosphere 5
Value 5
Corrrrryah please!
Having just opened opposite our building I was eager to try it, having seen that it is always busy at anytime of the day. Needless to say that I was not disappointed. My colleague who accompanied me is quite a fussy eater so I checked out the menu before we went. It's ideal to cater for a group and fussy eaters as there is such a great range of dishes both for choice and size. I had the Ribs and they were absolutely delicious and my friend had the Salmon which she was very impressed with. The food and drink is worth every penny! Thanks Coya, I'll be back!

Call Coya Angel Court to make a booking on: