SquareMeal Review of Cambio de Tercio

It might be rolling into its third decade, but “Abel Lusa’s masterpiece gets better every year”, according to one of his many loyal customers. There’s nothing old-fashioned about this “incredibly authentic” and wildly underrated Brompton Road flagship of the sophisticated Cambio mini-chain – a venue whose fizzing energy is fuelled by a packed dining room, clued-up staff and a constantly evolving menu. Regulars rave about must-order classics, such as the hollowed-out ‘nuevas’ patatas bravas filled with spicy tomato and alioli, but there’s also an excellent-value tasting menu, featuring innovations such as a riff on gazpacho involving tomato ‘water’ cherry sorbet, cod brandade and cristal bread or spicy suckling pig meatballs with crunchy ear, poached skate and Colombian tamarillo. Just as exciting are the “very long” all-Spanish wine list and the treasure-trove of gins and sherries – thanks to sibling bars C. Tonic and Capote y Toros, where you can continue the fiesta with live flamenco.

Spanish
Fun, Lively, Traditional
Wheelchair access
Dates, Romantic

Location for Cambio de Tercio

163 Old Brompton Road, London, London, SW5 0LJ

Mon-Sun 12N-2.30pm (Sat-Sun -3pm) 6.30-11.30pm (Sun -11pm)

Reviews of Cambio de Tercio

Travel bug

Don’t go here
26 June 2019

Do not go to this restaurant especially if you’re an American. After paying my bill and asking for the service charge to be removed, since the service was terrible the man went ballistic on me he called me a horrible American. He threaten to call the police.  I said what are you going to tell them that? I paid my bill and said the service was bad so that’s why you’re calling the police.  Don’t try to threaten me like that who do you think you are.  FYI do not have to pay a service charge a service charge is for a good service.  I’m tired of these restaurants that just add on the service charge as if you’re bullied into paying for bad service.   If you’re a regular they treat you differently than somebody off the street.  Do not go to this restaurant.  The food isn’t very good for the money. There are better restaurants in the area

William N

Till we meet again
13 April 2017
We decided to visit this restaurant in the Tapas triangle of Kensington and settled on Cambio de Tercio as it was frequented by some serious celebs. Hoping their tastes matched their pockets we found that the restaurant was superb. The service was brilliant. Great advice, informative, prompt and friendly. We look forward to visiting again and I would proudly take my Spanish friends (and any others) here.

An Evening at Cambio
19 February 2014
It takes a lot for me to bother writing a restaurant review, but I am motivated by my experience last night at Cambio de Tercio. According to legend, Rafa Nadal dines there when in London, which is a grabber for me. He can afford good meals, bad meals, any meals, and I love his cross-court backhand. My take? The starters were the first yellow flags: the recommended ‘8 hours’ tomatoes were treacly sweet, overcaramelized and a major disappointment. The ham croquettes (waiter insisted I could get pork, but it was ham I got) were not crisp, as croquettes should be, but crumbly, mash-potato-y, and with barely any meat. And the tuna tartar mysteriously never arrived, in spite of two reminders to the waiter and one to the manager. On to the mains: my companion and I both ordered the bacalao, for which the euphoric recall of my Portuguese nanny's mother's annual bacalao kept me motoring through the flat first act. The cod, while tender and unquestionably fresh, was tasteless, unseasoned and flat-out boring, accompanied by the eeriest-looking side of over-squid-inked grilled baby squid and pancetta. When we politely commented to the waiter (and then to the manager) that the bacalao was lacking, there was no apology. The manager pointed out that Portugese bacalao is salted, Spanish is not, which I accepted. He then proceeded to bring us another portion – equally flavorless – as if to say, “Here, it really is better than you think.” I was reminded of George Bernard Shaw's comment that Mahler's music is “better than it sounds.” No free side, no offer to ‘compensate’ us for a clearly unhappy experience. The final coup de farce: as we were leaving, I noticed an enticing dessert dish of chocolate truffles and mini-ice cream cones perched on the bar. When I inquired, the bartender asked, “You didn't get one?” – as if to say everyone gets one. All this at a rather steep price. My advice? Watch Rafa on TV, hang a pintura de un toro on your wall, and order in tapas. Do yourself a favor and skip Cambio de Tercio.

Mr. Tim Z

28 January 2013
The formal version of this little spanish restaurant chain offers very god and high standard food. Its not your typical tapas offering (that you get across the street at its sister restaurant) but serious high-quality food. Good service and cosy atmosphere, great wine list – all at a notch higher quality (and more elaborant) than their sister restaurant's offering, with the according slightly higher price point. Again also here be aware of their normal 2 setting policy for dinner which means you normally have to go either early or late

Mr. Patrick B

04 March 2012
“Cambio” as it often referred to is an interesting case. It has grown into a little spanish empire there are three related bars of which Cambio is the most formal, and you guessed it priceiest. The food is good but you have to make the waiters understand that you know what you are doing and that you know what you are ordering otherwise you will end up with far too much on the table and logically the bill. However if you know your Spanish food and can stomach the bill it is O.K.. However prices are at the top end of even this part of London, so beware. And, given that Cambio has been around for so long, it is not quite up there with best Spanish food in London.

Ms/Mrs. Irene F

09 January 2010
The food at this restaurant was completely ruined by the appalling atitude of the staff in particular the manager who provides the Fawlty Towers example of customer care. Such a shame for a potentially good restaurant to have no appreciation of how the importance of respect for the customer can be the difference between an excellent dining experience and a nightmare.

Mr. Alex S

15 June 2009
I returned here last week having had a delicious dinner there last summer. I was so disappointed to find that the quality of the food had taken a serious dive. While the tapa of pata negra was excellent (and so it should be for the price) some of the cooked dishes were accompanied by heavy, almost gloopy sauce, that were really horrible. The price was also way over the top for what we eat. I shall not be returning which is a pity as the atmosphere is fun.

Other restaurants near Cambio de Tercio

You are requesting to book Cambio de Tercio for people on at .