Cafe Murano Covent Garden

Italian·

SquareMeal Review of Cafe Murano Covent Garden

Like its St James’s sibling, this second branch of Café Murano showcases Angela Hartnett's modern Italian cooking in a more casual setting than her Michelin-starred Murano. Spread over two floors, it's a convivial spot for business or dates, though we prefer dining with a group of friends and sharing a selection of characterful regional dishes. The daily menu is fiercely seasonal and allows good ingredients to prove their worth, often in simple, yet effective combinations: a salad of octopus, borlotti beans, olives and preserved lemon, for example, might be followed by rich pork cheeks with creamy white bean purée and chicory. Pasta is a particular delight, either sampled in dishes such as spicy bucatini amatriciana or bought from the ‘pastificio’ next door to take home – along with a bottle of hearty Italian red, of course. "It's hard not to stop for lunch each day I walk past", confides one local. Decent Italian-themed cocktails are another plus, and service is “always with a smile”.

Italian

26 May 2022   - Verified Diner
Atmosphere 5
Value 5
Good meal

Great service and excellent meal

Booking system not great Had confirmation from them but they had no record of my booking.

sorted out very well at the door

Jessica F

03 February 2020   - Verified Diner
Atmosphere 4
Value 4
Pre-Theatre dinner

Me, my mum and stepdad went for a pre-theatre dinner on Friday evening. A beautiful restaurant, seating slightly cramped but not unbearable. The service was outstanding, we were being checked on but not harrassed. Food was absolutely delicious 10/10 to the chef. They even brought us a celebratory drink as it was my mum's birthday. Overall a lovely experience, I will definitley be returning.

Elina H

07 August 2019
My all around fave - almost my second home. The staff is just incredible, food always top notch and I can literally spend every day there without getting bored.

Ana

09 June 2019
Atmosphere 5
Value 5
Amazing place...

Very well selected meals and wines.

High quality ingredients for a very affordable price!

Not surprised that the restaurant is rated so high.

Excellent night!

Laura C

31 July 2018
Helpful staff, food was tasty and good value but made to feel like a tourist in my own City. Definitely room for improvement and doesn't live up to expectations.

David H

31 July 2018
Food & Drink 2
Service 3
Atmosphere 3
Value 3
Sorry- I thought my lunch was poor.
I like Angela Hartnett's cooking a lot, and I simply can't imagine leaving Murano feeling anything but positively about the food and service. And speaking as I find, I have largely felt similarly about Limewood in Hampshire since she became involved. But I'm incredibly confused about how I'm supposed to respond to this restaurant. It seems to share nothing with Murano at all. It's not "Murano lite" it's "Murano worse" or perhaps more accurately its not Murano at all. There's not a shred of what you get at Murano that's visible here. There is quite simply no credible attempt to translate the values of the parent restaurant to this place. So why call it Murano at all? There are no common values- none. And what satisfaction can Ms Hartnett get from lending her carefully built brand name to a restaurant that is , from what I can see, totally mediocre. I can promise you that if I'd happened to visit Cafe Murano first I wouldn't even think of eating at the parent - I would simply find it hard to accept that any restaurant sharing a name with this one would be likely to deliver quality gourmet cooking. Unlike at Limewood, I can't see anything in this place that is better because it has a star chef associated with it. I visited on a reasonably busy lunchtime with two old friends and fortunately the emphasis was on conversation not food. I chose two courses from a set lunch menu. A kind of quiche with a few salad leaves, and a pasta main that involved sardines and breadcrumbs and , apparently, fennel. Both of these dishes were just about palatable , the pasta very dry , they both had virtually no flavour. Frankly I've eaten better food on planes, in economy. It wasn't expensive , the service was OK, and the premises, whilst not smart, were about what you'd expect given the menu. However the kitchen contrived to deliver a product that has convinced me not under any circumstances to return. This is not the first time I've eaten at a mid-market restaurant under the auspices of a chef of some fame and great skill, and emerged unimpressed. I recall eating at Tredwell's, being similarly disappointed , and haven't eaten at any Marcus Wareing restaurant since- I guess they've become devalued in my eyes because of a decision to link themselves to, and profit from, mediocrity.

Rebecca R

30 June 2018
Beautifully relaxed environment and beautiful Italian food.

Alison L

27 June 2018
Impeccable service, great atmosphere, excellent food. Perfect spot for impressing clients, friends or family! Lovely location in Covent Garden too.

Angela B

27 June 2018
Amazing food and service.

anne R

28 March 2018
Food & Drink 4
Atmosphere 4
Value 4
Excellent for Pre theatre
Lovely place and excellent, friendly and attentive service. The pre theatre menu is good value and the food was of a good quality and very tasty. The starters arrived promptly, but there was slightly too long a wait for the main course, which meant we were slightly rushed for the theatre, but timings are the only complaint. I recommend this for food and service.

Other restaurants we like near Cafe Murano Covent Garden