SquareMeal Review of C London

Whether it’s Johnny Depp fresh from a Leicester Square premiere or X Factor judges recovering from a nail-biting deadlock, C London is the go-to diner for A-list celebrities. If that conjures up giddy images of beau-monde sophistication, think again: this is fundamentally a very expensive version of an old-school Italian, catering to the undemanding tastes of the international super-rich. There’s a ‘Dubai does art-deco’ feel to the dining room with its high-gloss woods, mirrors and marble, while dapper waiters are mostly past the first flush of youth. If you can stomach the excruciating prices, the kitchen’s very generous renditions of risotto primavera, veal milanese (£41.10) and calf’s liver veneziana are competently done, and there’s a treat to finish in the form of ice cream whipped tableside. Italy leads the wine list, with little under £50.

££££ - Over £80
Italian
Glamorous, Lively, Traditional
Celeb-spotting, Special occasions

Location for C London

23-25 Davies Street, London, W1K 3DE

Mon-Sun 12N-3pm 6-11.45pm (Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of C London

Mr. Colin M

Fun atmosphere but hellishly expensive
12 December 2013
Went for a birthday dinner. Really buzzy atmosphere with staff running around at a million miles an hour. Food styled on home cooked Italian which was ok at best. Wine list good. Go for a fun night out and make sure you drink enough to tolerate the bill (starters around £20 and mains £35). Enjoyable experience but probably not go again.

Mr. Alex G

Well, at least the food was good…
11 October 2013
Clearly C-London must be doing something right since the place was packed on the weekday lunchtime when I recently visited the restaurant. Maybe it’s just that people still want to be seen here, but even if C-London was in the vanguard of ‘destination restaurants’ some years ago, it seems difficult to believe that it has been able to sustain this mantle. Indeed, when we ate, the majority of the other diners were suited with barely a D-list celebrity to be seen. C-London could be a nice restaurant based on its décor, a homage to art deco with a hint of Italian chic, but one simple failing was evident from the moment we walked in – the tables are far too close together. This restaurant is about as far from intimate as one can imagine, and dining is rarely pleasant when shouting or constantly having to lean towards your dining partner is involved. In addition, the service we experienced was best described as poor. We asked for one main dish to be shared between two and were informed this would be sufficient (combined with our starters). On arrival of the main, it was clearly far too small for two, yet either they omitted to tell us this beforehand or something got lost in translation. Upon our surprise, yet without asking (but still charging, of course), they proceeded to bring us a second helping. This arrived long after we had finished the first and the moment of hunger had passed. It got worse. While theoretically enjoying a leisurely coffee at the end of the meal, my cup was literally whisked away from under my nose despite being not empty and returned with half-sneered apology. This is not what one would expect from a place charging £12 for a green salad and £28 for sea-bass tagliatelle. Not that this would be a specific reason either to return to or to endorse C-London, but the food did at least make up for the rest of the experience. My salad of artichoke and avocado with which I began worked well, an interesting combination, light and well-presented, surrounded by a pyramid of parmesan shavings. The sea-bass tagliatelle main had good balance with the piquancy of the cherry tomatoes nicely offsetting the perfectly prepared pasta and its olive oil-based sauce. Nonetheless, one can do at least as well for food and certainly much better in terms of service and price elsewhere in London. Give me Cecconi’s any time…

Mr. Ray A

Oh Dear
14 July 2013
My Wife and I were looking for an Italian Restaurant close to our Club in Mayfair. We had our Grandchildren overnight in London. They wanted to eat Italian and they are aged 11 and 9. I found C London on a general search and booked for Saturday evening. We arrived on time at 7 and the place was almost empty. We left at just gone 9 and it was still almost empty. Our food was adequate (just), the waiting staff over attentive (they had so few people to look after) and it was somewhat rushed. My Wife had a small amount of House Red whilst my Grandchildren and I drank Water and soft drinks. When the Bill arrived it was well over £400! When I got back to Worcestershire on Sunday afternoon I decided to search for reviews. I wish I had done this before I went there. We didn't realise that C London is the well known Cipriani's. What a disappointment. Why would anyone want this experience! We won't be visiting again.

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

06 May 2012
Well, what can I say, I do not think I have given such poor scores to any other restaurant! I almost feel bad but Cipriani has made it impossible to give any higher rating. We had to wait for half an hour for our table, despite making reservation, The maitre de was almost never anywhere near the front desk and have had better food in Italian street cafes!

Mpinto

30 January 2012
I love going out for dinner and we normally go to different places because there are so many good choices in London but when they asked me “where would you like to go for mother's day” I answered without much thought, “Cipriani”. The food is great, it is italian home food, you could actually eat here without getting tired of it; the wines are great and the service…what can we say… there are as funny and charming as italians can be. They'll never say no to anything, they will always work out the way to make everybody happy, even finding a table when the restaurant is totally full. The atmosphere is buzzy, lively, colourful and quite weird sometimes, you get to see many rich people from different nationalities pile together in one room. In my view it's fun. The downside…the price…it's difficult to justify the number when the bill comes but… I still come back. Must have: the signature merengue cake, a sponge cake with merengue and cream, simple but extremely delicious; the veal milanese, my favourite, is amazing. MB

Ms/Mrs. Faye A

05 December 2011
This is without a doubt the worst meal i have had in london. Do not go here if you like food. The food was inedible. The starter (easiest thing to do in most peoples opinion) was prosciutto and mozarella. They put the plate in front of me, and 3 others, which looked like a pile of what looked like the contents of a pack of wafer ham from sainsbury's, and underneath the mass of ham was a hard ball of cheap mozzarella. We all asked the waiter what the dish was as we had asked for prosciutto and this was just a pile of ham. He muffled something saying it was prosciutto, to which the people we were dining with said we have eaten prosciutto many times and this is not it. The waiter did not care and walked away. So 3 plates of packet ham and a hard ball of mozzarella came to £80 (just for the starter). My main course inedible, at this point when the waiter again asked me ‘you did not like’ to which i was so gobsmacked by what this place was serving as ‘food’ i just shook my head. I was with 7 other people who were visiting London for the weekend and had heard of this place and wanted to go. By this point we had all had enough, everyones food was very bad and no one will ever go back again or tell anyone to go near the place. To add insult to injury, the waiters charged over £100 more on the bill. We checked it as we were told this happens regularly at Ciprianis ‘C’. If you have more money than taste, you will like this restaurant. I gave it 2 for atmosphere as at least we were not eating in an empty restaurant, although i am stunned to see how this is possible. This was not a one off incident, i have had the same feedback from at least 7 other people about this restaurant who have visited it in the last few weeks.

Ms/Mrs. Maryam K

03 June 2011
DREADFULL!! If you would like to WASTE your money and time, go ahead !!!

16 May 2011
I'm glad I came here to see what all the fuss was about…I'm not if I would choose to come back if I'm completey honest. The wine by the glass came in what looked like a small beaker and wasn't very cold…The food was honestly just a little over average. I say little over because I really liked the breadsticks! We got looked after very well but I think the same would not apply if I came again with different company. The atmosphere was good – nice and busy…informal but still quite classy if that makes sense! There are nicer Italians out there!

Ms/Mrs. Cari S

05 March 2011
Food shocking, really bad and certainly not italian, my pasta was overcooked, too overpriced, atmosphere noisy but busy and elegant clientele, just eat before you go, and smile at the paparazi on the way in.

Ms/Mrs. Sabrina G

06 December 2010
I dined here once years ago when it first opened as Cipriani and I was sufficiently put off by their failing standards to stay well clear of the restaurant again. Sadly for me on this occasion, I was invited by a client and had no alternative but to accept graciously. I think deep down I probably believed that a lot can change in 5 or so years, but oh how wrong I was. Accustomed to dining in some of London's best restaurants, I expect service and food of the highest standard in obscenely priced celeb-magnet joints like this. I'm no celebrity, but I believe that in life, you should get what you paid for. The service was beyond incompetent, you'd find better food at ‘Spaghetti House’ and the whole pretentious vibe of this place was exhausting. My poor host was riddled with embarassment whilst I smiled and reassured him that it was ok. Needless to say, I cut the meal short and took him for a drink at Claridges instead, where we were treated with the kind of courtesy you would apply to paying customers. All I can say for ‘C’ London is that the ‘C’ clearly stands for ‘CRAP’. So unless you are a page 3 / WAG wannabee trying to meet a famous face, there are far better places to meet, greet and eat in London. The experience here is so ridiculously bad, it is absolutely laughable.

Other restaurants near C London

You are requesting to book C London for people on at .