AW Restaurant
AW Restaurant

Call AW Restaurant to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of AW Restaurant

One fan reckons that AW Restaurant at the swanky Westbury Mayfair hotel is now “one of the best dining experiences in London” – a view backed by its current Michelin-star rating. While the dining room’s unashamedly fine panelling, whispers and plush soft furnishings aren’t everyone’s flute of fizz, AW Restaurant’s tirelessly creative and “beautifully presented” food is sure to impress. BBQ monkish in tomato beurre blanc is a revelation, seared rose veal comes dotted with caviar and cauliflower, and top-spec Kerry lamb is served blushing pink alongside grilled onion, pomme purée and water-mint hollandaise. This new-found confidence also extends to vegetarian dishes of sumac-dusted feta with apple and kohlrabi or celeriac risotto overlaid with summer truffle, as well desserts such as a witty passion fruit and mango pudding. Prices are surprisingly keen for the location, engaging staff are happy to aid navigation through the classy wine list, and readers rave about the “truly special” private room with its towering wine displays.

British

Sat 18:00-22:30
Sun Closed

Reviews of AW Restaurant

Whitelionlady

Don't book the Private Dinning room here!
03 December 2019

I booked the Aspen Room at the Westbury Alyn Williams this month for a corporate dinner for 12. I have booked such dinners many times before at Claridges, the Ritz, the Langham, the Wollesley,etc. We were absolutely ripped off here. Its a disgrace. Not only were we overcharged but the service was awful, the 7 course dinner was cold! Not even the plates were warmed. Two waiters queued up outside the room holding large trays while the server was busy and the food was served by him one by one, ice cold.

Two of our guests don't drink alcohol at all, another one was driving in from Hampshire so he only had two glasses of wine and another has an allergy to red so only drank white. We were charged for 15 bottles of wine, 9 red and 6 white and 3 bottles of Prosecco. I had only one glass of red because I preferred white.

Therefore, according to this bill, 7 people drank 9 bottles of red wine. Lets say for arguments sake, I drank a whole bottle of white wine myself, which I really doubt, if I did I wouldn’t be able to talk let alone walk, but lets just say I did. That would mean the very same 7 people consumed 9 bottles of red and 5 bottles of white! All that after 3 bottles of Prosecco and a beer.

Whats worse is when I examined the bill and called the restaurant the day later they said they were sorry and would look into it. I waited over a week and chased, its the principle of the matter that irked me. Finally Mr. Nestoridis,the sommelier emailed me and I was told that it was long evening and guests underestimate what they consume. I say rubbish! No one was drunk and only one chap was tipsy.

So if you are looking for a corporate hospitality venue - be warned, don't go here.

Patricia R

Tasting menu lunch
14 September 2017
This was the best set lunch I've had for a very long time. Every single course was delicious.

Ms/Mrs. Lesley T

Excellent vegetarian menu
23 June 2017
Treated a friend to the vegetarian tasting menu to celebrate her birthday. A parade of innovative and delicious dishes, beautifully presented without sacrificing appearance to eating enjoyment. The service was great, attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The room is comfortable, but does a feel a bit plush hotel dining room (which of course it Is!) Overall, very good and would return.

Attention to detail
12 February 2016
My friend and I were staying at the Westbury so we decided to book the restaurant as it has been recommended by a foodie friend. We had the 3 course meal. The choice was good. Perfect service. All you expect. Would return again.

Chris-MPC

25 April 2014
Sad to say that I’ve been to so many fine dining restaurants that I’ve become a little blasé and bored by the traditional fois and truffle offerings of the Michelin star chasers. I’m very pleased to report however that Alyn Williams at the Westbury was an invigorating gastronomic delight. I think we must have been on our third amuse bouche (mmmm truffle rice balls!) before the menus were given. We had the tasting menu and despite the lack of truffle and fois, or maybe because of it each and every dish superb. Service was faultless and super attentive, just as a restaurant of this class should be. For the two of us with wine it all came in at around £310. I would very happily return and recommend, well except they tried the double tipping trick, as in they add service to your bill and then ask for a tip again when they hand you the credit card machine, with which really let themselves down.

Ms/Mrs. Pauline C

04 April 2014
We have not been back to the Westbury for a couple of years but so glad that we came back! This restaurant has had a major revamp and the dining room is elegant and the tables are nicely spaced out now and fewer than before. The food was sublime, there were amuse bouches galore and everything was done to perfection. The service was impeccable and the ambiance relaxed and lovely. Only drawback was that we were sat next to the private dining room and when the guests were leaving they tended to congregate outside the doors next to our table which was a minor irritation but not one that had gone unnoticed by the staff who kindly moved us away to another table. Overall a fantastic mid week treat and we will definitely be back.

Mr. Graham H

27 February 2014
This was our first visit to Alyn Williams at the Westbury. We were extremely impressed with the staff, friendly and polite BUT not obtrusive. The food and wine were excellent, beautiful presentation,cooked to perfection and tasted superb. Value for money is also quite remarkable. We intend to visit again and again if this standard is repeated.

Ms/Mrs. Matt P

26 January 2013
Why sell a reasonably-priced set lunch menu if the restaurant is then going to make the diner who chooses it feel cheap? When we got to our table, full menus were placed before us, and after a pause, the cards with the lunch deal were literally slipped underneath. The range of menus was run through extensively, but the lunch menu only mentioned as an afterthought. If you are going to offer it, encourage the diners to take it because it's a great deal and you're proud to sell it – don't steer us away from it. Unfortunately the whiff of cheapskate lingered around when the food arrived and we saw the portion sizes: the oxtail starter had no more than 10g of meat, and for the main, a single chicken breast had rather pathetically been divided between the two of us. It came without a sauce and just a poached egg and tiny slivers of vegetable garnish. This wouldn't be an issue on a tasting menu but I did actually want to get fed; you know things are bad when you reach into the bread basket for the third time. And it wasn't like the food was first class either. In fact I would level the ultimate insult at the kitchen: it was lazy. The mains of chicken breast were served on a deep green smear of pureed vegetable, but they'd evidently made the smear some time earlier and left it under a hot lamp: parts of it were glued to the plate and needed scraping off. The consomme that accompanied the oxtail starter had one single flavour. And dessert of cider spiced jelly had so much gelatine in it, it was actually chewy; I guess nobody bothered to check it before sending it to our table. The granita on top was flavourless; why send that at all? Service was generally excellent – there are maybe ten staff for max 30 covers in the joint – with two exceptions. The French lad who introduced our food had such a strong accent that he was impossible to understand; I gave up asking him to repeat himself. And the poor staff were so bored that they were looking for work: we shared a single bottle of wine but someone came to top my glass up no less than eight times during the meal. I got to the point of looking out for them in order to tell them to stop; something has gone wrong when you're preoccupied with telling a waiter to go away. On the positive side, the room is absolutely stunning. Windowless yet high ceilinged and furnished beautifully, it is luxurious. It is very quiet but the tables are spaced and oriented in such a way that it feels like hushed reverence rather than deathly silence. And despite my complaints about the cheapskate factor when it comes to portion sizes, they roll the red carpet out with the fine dining details: beautiful cheese puffs when you arrive, a superb basket of breads including a gravity-defying potato-flecked sourdough, a pre-dessert and a cute little box of chocolates at the end of lunch. Nonetheless, it was a three course meal we signed up for and I'd much rather they had just delivered on that.

Mr. Marco G

19 January 2012
Incredible experience! Food absolutely amazing, and having eaten at Petrus both under G Ramsay and M Wareing i can only say that Alyn has achieved similar or even better standard at his restaurant. (he was Head chef at Petrus for 5 years) Some incredible creations (went for the 6 course tasting menu £55 each) Food absolutely amzing. REstaurant very quiet. REcession biting or Alyn not a big household name yet? by the way the bill for 2 tasting menu and a great bottle of red wine was around £250 (wine £80) ha, that frozen foie grass ! ha, that incredible crab and beef cheek starter!

Mr. Tim M

21 December 2011
Went for lunch. We were late for the table and the staff couldnt have been more accomodating. Total flexibility in chopping and changing between different menus meant that we were able to taste most things on offer. Food was some of the best i have had with great balance in the menu. If you go (and its well worth it), make sure you dont miss the gnocchi, or the beef, or the scallops, or for that matter the snails. All exquisite, delicately flavoured and beautifully presented. £55 for the tasting menu is great value and plenty of intreresting and reasonably priced wines to choose from. This is how lunch should be!

Other restaurants near AW Restaurant

You are requesting to book AW Restaurant for people on at .