Modern European, South American, Wine Bars·

SquareMeal Review of YOPO at the Mandrake

The Mandrake is an all-day offering suited to the hotel's location and describes itself as ‘Amazonian-inspired’, although take that with a pinch of salt, as it loosely translates as some jungle theming to the decor and a mild South American accent to the broadly European cooking.

There’s coffee and grab-and-go dishes for breakfast, though the theming really works best at night, when YOPO is a far sexier proposition, with candlelight illuminating the hand-painted jungle mural on the ceiling while a poppy soundtrack blasts from the speakers.

Well-meaning staff will talk you through the menu of sharing plates; we recommend five dishes between two diners. We loved scallops – crisp on top, fleshy within – resting on a pool of puréed pumpkin and truffle shavings, while a meaty hunk of grilled aubergine drizzled with soy and paired with herb salad is a good shout for vegetarians.

Our best dish was potato churros, a savoury twist on the classic Spanish dessert involving sausages of doughy fried potato sprinkled with coffee grounds and served with a rich bottarga dip.

We finished with two joyfully rich, bitesize discs of almond and salted butter shortbread, sandwiched with dulce de leche and passionfruit jam – typical of a meal that was never less than enjoyable and showed occasional flashes of brilliance.

Drinks include fun cocktails, but if you’re looking to make a night of it, you can head to the hotel’s much buzzed-about Waeska bar.

Modern European, South American, Wine Bars
Cool, Dark and moody, Fun, Glamorous, Lively, Luxury, Quirky, Romantic, Unique
Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Outside seating, Terrace
Dog friendly, Gluten-free options, Live music or dancing, Vegan options, Vegetarian options, Wheelchair access
Birthdays, Celeb spotting, Celebrations, Dates, Group dining [8+], Romantic, Special occasions
Food Hygiene Rating

About YOPO at the Mandrake

The Mandrake in the heart of Fitzrovia is a like-no-other luxury boutique hotel that’s been carefully designed to offers guests a unique, immersive and memorable experience. A perfect example of The Mandrake’s distinctive approach to hospitality is encapsulated in its main restaurant YOPO, a South American-inspired dining room where incredible design, food and drink come together in one space. Designed to transport guests from London to the Amazon rainforest, a meal at YOPO is one that's sure to leave a lasting impression.

The interiors are just as important as the food here, and diners are invited to sit amongst elaborate foliage and greenery while they dine. The ceiling is decorated with a sprawling mural while every corner of the restaurant is inspired by, and evokes, nature. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the kitchen is led by Head Chef George Scott-Toft who has created menus inspired by his travels to Peru, Argentina and Chile. From indigenous Amazonian ingredients to low-intervention Argentinian wines, you’re bound to discover something new while dining at YOPO.

With much of South American culture rooted in gathering together, the menu is intended to be shared with others. Choose from a variety of innovative plates including spinach, pine nut and ricotta empanada, octopus tacos with tomato, caper and avocado, and lamb with cocoa beans and black sesame mole. There's also a special sharing plate designed specifically for two people, which features beer braised pork belly, grilled spring onions, pickles and tacos.

The restaurant also houses a more relaxed lounge area with its own separate entrance, which is open all day and offers a light snack menu. The wine list features plenty of international wines and champagne, but don’t neglect the cocktail menu which offers a host of new and exciting concoctions. There's one named Euphoria which blends St Germain elderflower, Muyu Chinotto, blood orange, champagne and fennel.

FAQs

Can you get lunch a YOPO at the Mandrake?

You can enjoy lunch at YOPO at the Mandrake if you book one of the private cabanas. Otherwise there is a brunch menu available on Sundays between 11am-3pm.

Can you eat outdoors at YOPO at the Mandrake?

Yes you can enjoy outside dining on the Jurema Terrace at YOPO at the Mandrake, which is probably the pictures you've seen of an exotic plant-filled space.

Can you book YOPO at the Mandrake?

Yes, you can book YOPO at the Mandrake by using the buttons above to contact the restaurant via email or telephone.

Is there a dress code for YOPO at the Mandrake?

No, there's no official dress code. We'd suggest smart casual attire would work best to suit the surroundings and general atmosphere.

Are there gluten-free options on the menu at YOPO at the Mandrake?

Yes there are gluten-free options on the menu at YOPO at the Mandrake.

This venue also offers

Service 0.5
Atmosphere 0.5
Value 0.5
LOWEST SCUM HORRIBLE BULLYING STAFF

As someone that had stayed at your hotel in the past as well as countless 5* hotels around the world, this has to be the worst experience of my life. This place is the lowest scum of the earth you can ever go to. If you’re black, you better do NOT go here because they’re racist. I went in there on a Thursday night waiting for a friend from out of town I ordered a soda water as I didn’t want to start drinking so early. The drink I was served on first sip tasted flat. I was holding my card waiting to pay and the guy walked off. Anyway I stepped out briefly standing at the entrance making a call to find out where my friend was. The front lady asked if I was leaving I said no making a call, in a split second, The NIGERIAN security door  guy immediately jumped in my personal space calling me a thief claiming I was running away from paying 4POUNDS.

Mind you before I knew what was happening 5 men cornered me shoving me I tried to walk away but but they blocked me. I was touched and harassed, because I was already harrassed and out of principle, I refused to pay for the drink cos I didn’t even drink it, a Good Samaritan was holding 5pounds to pay they refused and continue to harass me, needless to say I paid 4POUNDS for being harassed. This is a RACIST, DISGUSTING, HORRIBLE venue do not go here. I regret wasting over 1,000pounds back in 2019 to stay here with my boyfriend. SHAME ON YOU MANDRAKE HELL. I hope and wish you all bad things in this world for the horrible treatment. I will be taking this further for harassment, you will be hearing from my solicitor.

Call YOPO at the Mandrake to make a booking on:

Norma

Norma

Arros QD

Arros QD

Book YOPO at the Mandrake for people on at .