Gastropub

Call The Greyhound on the Test to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of The Greyhound on the Test

“Best for lunch on a warm day in the garden” says a fan of this reconfigured and rebranded Hampshire inn with pretty grounds backing onto the namesake river Test. Inside, it’s all low beams, wood floors, antique furniture and wood-burners, with a promising restaurant attached. The kitchen bakes its own bread and coaxes the best out of top-drawer ingredients – perhaps devilled duck livers on toast or oak-smoked chicken with sweetcorn pannacotta and ‘nduja, ahead of cannon of lamb with salt-baked artichoke, capers, freekeh and sprouting broccoli or pan-fried cod with curried celeriac, mango salsa, spiced salt cod and puffed rice. There are steaks, grilled fish and burgers too, followed by deceptively simple desserts such as salted caramel tart with cocoa and yoghurt sorbet. This is unbuttoned but “precise” modern cooking, matched by “warm, laid-back service”. Breakfasts, Sunday roasts, top-notch wines and seven individually designed bedrooms (plus a further three in the ‘leet’ cottage) complete a package that “never disappoints”.

Gastropub

Reviews of The Greyhound on the Test

Mr. James T

Fantastic food
25 April 2013
The warm weather has returned and I felt like a trip to a beautiful village to have a spot of lunch with my wife. The Greyhound is now under new ownership and has been fully refurbished. I had heard great reviews from locals. The meal did not disappoint. The decor was smart country and the staff very friendly and attentive. The meal was in my opinion very reasonable. 2 courses for £11.95. I would expect to pay far more for the quality of food especially in Stockbridge. If you wish to book a table on Friday or Saturday then book ahead as I was informed that they are fully booked for 2 to 3 weeks.

Ms/Mrs. Linda D

sheer heaven
24 March 2013
We had dinner here and stayed over for one night. We had already stayed and eaten at a well known expensive restaurant the night before which was a great gourmet evening. When we read the menu we were a bit confused as to what to choose. When our chosen starters came up, what a beautiful surprise and oh the flavours! the evening only got better with the mains and the dessert!! I had the fantastic Jasmine panacotta and passionfruit sorbet. I was in absolute heaven!! I let my partner try it (i had to show him what he was missing!) but just dared him to take any more!!! A wonderful evening for my tastebuds. The atmosphere could have been a little better but the staff were friendly and helpful. Both my partner and I agreed that this evening was preferable to the one the night before and that was saying something. Our room was lovely and the breakfast was also wonderful. The haddock with poached egg, spinach and roasted cherry tomatoes was divine and I am not a breakfast person. Cant wait to have an excuse to travel down from London to experience it all over again.

Other restaurants near The Greyhound on the Test

You are requesting to book The Greyhound on the Test for people on at .