Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall
Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall

Call Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall

Its name may be a puerile pun, but this dive bar and off-sales shop stocks some of the planet’s best wine: as do its Bow Lane sibling. Knowledgeable staff will advise on over 500 vintages. Paying retail price plus corkage of £10 per bottle pushes red-letter-day French reds, classy New World whites and special-occasion fizz towards everyday drinking territory – although witty artworks of notorious imbibers caution against a second bottle of irresistible Côte de Beaune. The by-the-glass selection has top-notch Rioja, Grüner Veltliner and claret at £9 per 250ml glass, and Champagne at £8. For lunch, Anglo-Med main courses cost from £14. Order the daily special – confit rabbit leg, aubergine, cauliflower and prunes, say – or snap-up the four-for-£30 tapas deal that also appears on the truncated evening menu.

Bars

Reviews of Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall

No way

Don't go there
29 August 2019

The most unfriendly service I have ever witness. My amex card didn't work and the manageress called the Police. I had, however, paid with a debit card. One of the locals got involved and caused a fight. It was really embarrassing as I had a customer with me. The city Police threatened to arrest us. Clearly will not be going anywhere near the Planet of the Aaapes again.

Mr. Tass P

What happened?
03 December 2015
Lets start with the fact that I love this place, or I did. Not sure if there has been a change of management but the service and friendly atmosphere you used to enjoy is sadly missing. I turned up this week to meet a friend, we entered at 12.15 to the most unwelcome welcome I have ever received, we asked questions about wines and were greeted with a don't really know response. This theme continued throughout our stay. In the end we ended up laughing about it as the service was so awful. What happened to the guy who used to front this place, he was great!?

Ms/Mrs. TheHungryBea T

31 January 2012
In the midst of the hussle of bustle of the busy city, I found this little wine bar hidden in a little alley by Leadenhall Market. Even though it is small and always seemed to be fully booked, it is warm, comfy and has a very friendly atmosphere. Wooden chairs table and bar, classy and old fashioned. A very good crowd and the staffs in POGT are very friendly, always ready to assist you with any queries you have. Excellent service! This is one of my favourite wine bars. I visit this bar a couple of times a month. It’s great place to wind down after a stressful day at work. It’s a great place to relax and have a glass on your own or even enjoying it with company of friends. The wine The varieties of wine served by the glass are quite diverse compared to most bars. Not the most common known wines from typical bar menu. However, I am generally speaking about the wine served by the glass. The menu for wine by the glass, changes every 6 weeks. (I was just informed that the owner is currently in Argentina looking for a good range of Argentinean wine) They have fantastic range of wine by the bottles. You may even buy these bottles to enjoy at home. The following are the list red wine bar the glass currently being servers in POGT: Harras Syrah, 2005, Chille Miopossa Nero D;Arola, 2009, Italy ( I liked this) Sherwood, Pinor, 2009, New Zealand ( I liked this) La Malta, garancha. 2008, Spain The price I do find POGT is a little pricey, however to open nicer bottle of wines and maintain a wine bar in the city could be very expensive. The environment and ambience of POGT is very much the main reason I like this bar. Will I go here again? I am there once a weel.. what else can I say?

Mr. Richard E

15 August 2011
Stuck down a dodgy side passage in the otherwise pretty Leadenhall Street Market, Planet of the Grapes isn't an obvious spot for a top notch wine bar. But that is exactly what it is. Not some '80s, Del Boy and Rodney joint, but a place to buy great quality wine, at stupidly reasonable prices. There seem to be two sort of wine bar in the City: the “old school” Balls Brothers, El Vino, Davy's style, and the new, lighter, style, with the emphasis on seriously good wine, at seriously good prices (like here, the utterly superb 28-50 and, to some extent, Bar Battu). This new wave of wine bar is more relaxed, more focused on the wine than the old school, which seem far more interested in Rioja and sawdust. PotG has but a few small tables (which can easily be reserved) and two walls of wine. The concept is simple: pick a wine from the wall, take it to the bar, pay the retail price and an Ayrton Senna corkage, go sit and sip. What could be easier? And the wine too is an excellent selection, from every part of the wine making world at great prices. The service is relaxed and friendly (the bespectacled proprietor enjoys his wine, which shows as the evening moves on) and the food platters simple: cheese, meat and (most excellent) pies. A brilliant change to the over-blown faux-fun pubs that occupy the prettier parts of the market.

Other restaurants near Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall

You are requesting to book Planet of the Grapes Leadenhall for people on at .