Call Midsummer House to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Midsummer House

“Everything is outstanding” says fans of chef Daniel Clifford’s landmark restaurant by the river Cam. A 2018 refit has breathed new life into the lovely conservatory-style dining room, where the summery look (floral paintings, patterned chairs etc) chimes perfectly with the views over Midsummer’s gorgeous garden, and the atmosphere is helped along by “perfectly attentive” staff who know how to welcome their guests and foster a genuinely convivial atmosphere. “Precision and all-round excellence” are the watchwords.

Meanwhile, Clifford’s kitchen maintains its reputation for “startlingly innovative” food in the modern idiom. While this is undoubtedly fine dining, it is also recognisably real food, and a quick perusal of the tasting menu reveals a roll call of ‘outstanding gourmet food’ we can’t wait to eat: English asparagus with aerated hollandaise, pickled onions, fresh mushrooms and burnt onions; seared sea scallop with Granny Smith apple, celeriac and truffle purée; glazed chicken wings with smoked eel, sautéed duck liver, celery and nettle; roasted brill with cockles, pickled morels and wild garlic – and that’s only the first half of the eight courses.

Among the desserts, who could resist lemon posset with olive oil cake, mint, and black olive tuile, or coriander white chocolate dome with coconut and mango and jasmine rice? The food is supported by a comprehensive, thoroughbred wine list designed to top off any “special occasion”.

At £135 per person, the tasting menu, admittedly, does not come cheap, but it’s still deemed “totally value for money”; a no choice lunch menu offers a more affordable way in at £50 for three courses, while vegetarian, pescatarian and vegan diets can be accommodated.

Throw in “the perfect service – friendly and polite but not stuffy” and no wonder that readers say that “the whole experience is one I will never forget.”

About Midsummer House

The elegant, spacious and light-drenched conservatory dining room commands a panoramic view of the gardens and is set in a beautiful Victorian villa is on Midsummer Common on the banks of the River Cam, Cambridge. Midsummer House was awarded its first Michelin star in 2002, followed by a second in. The restaurant also proudly holds five AA rosettes.

British
Food Hygiene Rating

Location for Midsummer House

Midsummer House, Midsummer Common, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4 1HA

01223 369299

Tues 7pm-9.30pm Wed - Thurs 12N-1.30pm 7pm-9.30pm Fri - Sat 12N-1.30pm 6.30pm-9.30pm

Reviews of Midsummer House

terrible customer service, avoid at all costs
30 June 2020

if I could give them zero stars, I would.... we made a reservation which, due to the pandemic, had to be postponed. We were then told that the menu options and price of the meal had changed and no alternatives would be offered - due to chronic illness and allergies, one of our table would not be able to eat anything offered so we asked to cancel the booking. Numerous calls, emails, social media messages but very little communication from the restaurant. Eventually they said they would refund us the deposit which we have now received except they've removed the £20 admin fee. I am disgusted at their lack of customer service and care, I realise there is a pandemic and businesses are affected however this is poor especially from a so called "top level" restaurant

Linda S

29 March 2019
The perfect service, friendly and polite but not stuffy, and the best food we've ever had.

Neville D

29 March 2019
Outstanding gourmet food.

Nichola D

Sublime
03 May 2018
Met by charming and attentive staff, followed by certainly one of best meals I’ve ever had the prices were only a reflection the training of every member of staff the precision and all round superb service and food delivered whilst maintaining a very convivial atmosphere

Sean R

25 April 2018
Great service, good food and great atmosphere.

Serena K

21 March 2018
Quality food and service every time.

David A

09 May 2017
Expensive but worth the money for combining low key ,warm hospitality with extraordinarily high calibre food. Flawless on the 3 occasions I have been.

Helen C

04 May 2017
Food that is allowed to speak for itself, staff that recognise a sense of occasion but don't faun over the clientele: delightful and special.

Lloyd S

Midsummer Heaven
07 March 2017
Well what can I say other than this was a magical evening and emphasised the reason why this is my favourite Michelin Star restaurant. Such a fantastic warm and friendly welcome on our arrival that made us feel right at home straight away. We were first served a lovely homemade Gin & Tonic which was lovely. We decided to have the 8 Course Tasting Menu to which we were asked if we'd like to see the Menu or be surprised we decided to be surprised. So firstly the Amuse Bouches were a delight before moving to the first course a Pumpkin Veloute then Braised Pork Knuckle & Raclette Cheese simply stunning followed by a fantastic Scallop dish Then came the signature course of Roast Quail with Shallot Purée & Sour Dough simply Devine then came a delightful Monkfish course then I have to say my favourite course which was Venison accompanied by amazing Venison sausage rolls Before Dessert we chose to have a Cheese course and they had the most wonderful Cheese trolley tNow on to my favourite part of any meal Desserts and both were fantastic firstly the Aerated Pear with Blueberry then the Passion Fruit,Yoghurt Sorbet & Dark chocolate then when you think you can't eat anymore outcome the treats some amazing Doughnuts and Chocolates I would like to thank the Sommelier for a fantastic selection of matching wines that just went perfectly with every course also to every member of staff who's service was exceptional. I hope that Midsummer House soon gets 3 Michelin Stars because based on this visit they certainly deserve them.

Lloyd S

Midsummer Heaven
05 March 2017

Other restaurants near Midsummer House

You are requesting to book Midsummer House for people on at .