Kinghams

Call Kinghams to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Kinghams

Friendly ambience and a beautiful 17th century setting have helped Kinghams earn a good reputation, making booking essential both for lunch and dinner. The contemporary menu features starters like local pigeon breast pan-fried with apples and ceps and served on filo discs and a sticky hazelnut sauce, or or goat’s cheese beignets with tomato jam and marinated tomato petals, followed, perhaps, by Surrey Hills prime rib steak layered with creamed garlic mushrooms and potato wafers. A daily fish selection mirrors what’s best in the market.

Modern European

Reviews of Kinghams

Mr. Michael A

disappointing...
06 December 2019

We chose this restaurant for a family event – to celebrate the life of our father who recently passed away. The restaurant offered us a private room and asked us to pay a surcharge of 100 pounds to reserve as apparently the min. no. of people to book the private room was 18. (We were a party of 15pax). On arriving at the restaurant we asked if the tables could be re-arranged but were told quite bluntly that this was not possible.

We certainly felt the restaurant staff could have been more accommodating, as the main purpose of booking a private room was to enjoy our dinner as one group seated together. The room itself was not at all private – located across from the kitchen and near the restaurant entrance, we had another couple at a table sitting behind us.

Some of us had the fish as a main course based on the restaurant’s recommendation – I ordered the John Dory fillets that came with a piquant pepper sauce and some other vegetables. The taste was very bland and the portion itself was remarkably small. Some of us had the Gressingham duck for the mains and were equally disappointed, stating the duck was tough – I tried a piece and found it impossible to chew and digest as it was so tough.

The starters that some of us ordered were fairly good albeit a little cold – for a soup we expected the serving temperature to be hot not warm. The steaks as a main course were good.

We chose this restaurant based on the good reviews that we had researched beforehand. Sadly the whole experience left me regretting I had not booked a different restaurant for the occasion.

Mr. Howard W

03 January 2010
As Surrey goes, this has to be without question, one of the finest & most delightful restaurants to dine, relax and enjoy oneself in. I have always had impeccable service and my food has simply been divine. I am not someone who can afford to eat out on a regular basis so Kinghams for me is for special occassions and each time I have been blown away. Surrey has it's share of TV Celebrity chefs with superb restaurants but with Kinghams, you dont need them, you can beat them. I would strongly recommend a visit to Kinghams and you will not be disappointed.

Mr. Tim H

02 January 2010
Had a wonderful evening, the food was superb and the service first class. I've eaten in some of London's “top tier” restaurants and the food at Kinghams easily matches that standard. The service was attentive but not over-bearing, it really makes a huge difference when you are looked after so well. The restauarant itself is full of charm and character, it's so good to go to a genuine country restaurant. I'll definitely be going back.

Ms/Mrs. Barbara H

01 July 2009
Food was lovely, service good but not too obtrusive, atmosphere romantic – especially outside by candle light. Plan on going back – what more can you say. Downsides – a bit over-priced for what you get and you will probably have to drive there. Limited menu for ceoliacs but they were happy to cook alternatives on request.

Mr. Guy C

11 March 2009
I had fairly high expectations of the food after visiting their website and reading a couple of reviews and these expectations were exceeded. The atmosphere is calm, intimate and welcoming as you arrive. The interior is low ceilings, dark beams and a roaring fireplace. The staff are pleasant, polite and attentive when you need them to be and thankfully not obsequies or fawning. The quality of the photography of the food on the website is awful and I am happy to say it is lot better in real life. If you like country fare creatively and innovatively prepared and very well presented, then you will not be disappointed. I truly relished and enjoyed the chef's combinations and delicate treatment of traditional ‘heavies’ such as black pudding and haggis. He or she is a very welcome surprise tucked away in a small Surrey village. On the wine… rightly or wrongly, I like to judge restaurants by their choice and price of house wines. Our house choice proved to be an ideal full bodied accompaniment to our choices and the price was reasonable. Whilst the portions where not huge I was fully sated and unable to manage pudding – another day! What's not to like? I'm struggling a little here… but I found the chairs uncomfortable, but only later on. All in all, this is my sort of place so I shall certainly be going back.

Ms/Mrs. RA B

01 October 2008
I used to really enjoy this restaurant – the food is good and well thought out. Until the service I just received was appalling. I unfortunately had to cancel a booking -I had been trying to get hold of the restaurant since the previous week – but the phone was either engaged or no one picked up. I was told that this was ' very hard to believe' by the rude man on the other end of the phone. I also suggest that they improve their website, they should list an email address as another option of contact instead simply the phone. It is a real shame as the food was good. But I was treated as a liar – what ever happened to customer service? I won’t be going again.

Other restaurants near Kinghams

You are requesting to book Kinghams for people on at .