Iberica Victoria

Spanish, Tapas·

SquareMeal Review of Iberica Victoria

Spanish powerhouse Ibérica has moved tapas on from a tick list of ordinary nibbles to specialities worth toasting with a glass of vintage cava. The group’s executive chef Nacho Manzano (winner of three Michelin stars) directs the kitchen, reprising his own signature dishes and putting them alongside some new-century tapas. Current Ibérica classics range from a gazpacho of red berries, beetroot and anchovy to spring onion tempura with lemon aïoli and soy, an oxtail ‘sandwich’ with potato cream, and near-legendary chorizo lollipops with pear aïoli, while the selection of cheeses, cured meats and preserved fish honours Spain’s centuries-old gastronomic traditions. Meanwhile, set menus and sharing dishes (including various paellas) provide another way in to the experience. Drinks cover the spectrum of Spanish booze from beer, cider and sangria to bespoke G&Ts, vermouths, countless sherries and sparklers by the glass.

Spanish, Tapas
Cool, Fun, Lively, Quirky, Unique
All day dining, Dinner, Lunch
Outside seating, Terrace
Gluten-free options, Vegan options, Vegetarian options
Celebrations, Dates, Group dining [8+], Romantic, Special occasions
Food Hygiene Rating

About Iberica Victoria

Combining the food of Michelin starred chef Nacho Manzano and the design of internationally renowned architect Lázaro Rosa Violán, Ibérica Victoria is one of London’s most stylish foodie destinations. The restaurant itself is found within the iconic Zig Zag building and has been decorated in calming muted tones with a mix of upholstered furniture, low-hanging industrial-style lighting and open shelving displaying authentic Spanish ceramics.

Executive chef Nacho grew up in La Salgar in the northern Asturias Mountains of Spain and much of his inspiration comes from the time he spent learning to cook alongside his grandmother and mother. His passion for produce is evident throughout the ingredient-led menu that heroes some of Spain’s finest exports. This is particularly evident in the restaurant’s Iberico section where you can sample award-winning cuts of 100% pure-breed black Iberican pork. To get the full experience plump for the tasting platter that allows you to try some of everything.

The menu’s main focal point is tapas – which ranges from classics through to contemporary twists on traditional recipes. Crowd-pleasers include padron peppers with sea salt; grilled octopus with potatoes; and whole barbecued tiger prawns. Elsewhere firm favourites run from an ingenious plant-based dish that combines harlequin pumpkin with seeds, nasturtium leaves and kumquat through to Crispy Chicken with Trinxat, a typically Catalonian dish of mashed potatoes, savoy cabbage and lardons served with chicken jus and pak choi.

For something more substantial there’s also a choice of paellas which are made in a dry Valencian style and feature that signature crunchy base that is satisfyingly intense in flavour. Pick between chicken and vegetables or seafood.

Come dessert you’ll have the choice of sweets like flourless chocolate cake, churros with chocolate and a caramelised Spanish rice pudding.

The top-class food is coupled with sweet service and a far-reaching drinks list that help to ensure a fully-rounded experience whenever you visit.

Special offers for Iberica Victoria

100 Points

For all diners any day, every time

Offers cannot be combined. You will be awarded the offer that gives you the most reward points.

FAQs

Can you book for large groups?

Yes, you can book for large groups and you have the option of booking private dining rooms as well.

What experiences are on offer?

If you want an even more authentic experience, try booking one of the experiences on offer. These include a sherry discovery experience, ham carving and Spanish Gin and Tonic tasting.

Is there a set menu?

A set lunch menu is available from 12pm-3pm for £20pp. Diners can choose one tapas dish from each of the four sections on the menu.

Location

Service 5
Atmosphere 4.5
Value 4
Impromptu visit

On the day of the tube strike we had to rearrange our lunch plans. It was my first visit to Iberica.

The welcome was terrific - the food a little different from the norm so good. The wine was poured straight from the bottles into our glasses which was pleasing.

Altogether a good experience which I shall repeat.

AmyM

12 October 2017
Food & Drink 3
Service 2.5
Atmosphere 3.5
Value 3
Go with low expectations so that you won't be disappointed
I have eaten at one or two other branches of Iberica, but admittedly not for a few years and had always enjoyed the meals. As Victoria is now such a hive of activity with new developments and restaurants correspondingly popping up, I was expecting a much better experience. On a Wednesday night there was steady trade, but certainly not a frenzy of diners that would “slam” the kitchen or the wait staff. As we were seated, I tried to ask a waiter for water, who was at the next table and he was completely oblivious. So much so, that the table he had just served burst out laughing at my apparent invisibility. After much waving, I eventually managed to attract attention from another. My companion had popped to the loo and so for some reason, the waiter only poured one glass. And the farce started again to get a second glass when my friend returned. Suffice to say this continued throughout the meal. They have a veritable army of staff, which were not run off their feet and so there is no excuse for this lack of attention. The food itself is ok. We ordered garlic prawns with fideos which was a bit greasy and heavy handed on the chillies, as the prawns were completely overpowered and rendered flavourless in themselves. The “Half & Half” cheese and charcuterie board is incredibly underwhelming with several different types of salamis, indiscernible from one another, apart from the obligatory chorizo and 3 tiny slices of cheese. Considering that they have soft sheep cheese, a blue and several different hard cheeses to choose from why give us a very mean portion of almost identical choices? Coupled with a beetroot salad entirely devoid of any seasoning, everything was a bit under par. Finally, I don’t think that I am the only person to go to a tapas place and look forward to a tortilla. The staple of Spanish cooking. We ordered it. It didn’t arrive. I called my ethereal waiter to ask where it was as we had had all of our other dishes and he then promptly sent the manager over who told me (at 2030 on a Wednesday) that they had run out of “the mix”. I looked at him quizzically and asked for clarification, as I am reasonably certain that it is just fried potatoes, onions and eggs. Yes, he agreed. There was no more mix. Now I know that I wasn’t in the ever exquisite Barrafina with their superlative, gooey and delicious tortilla, but I would expect a chef to be able to accomplish a simple version. When pressed, I asked the manager if it was powdered or frozen and he changed his mind and said that he had run out of eggs! Are you serious? He was very nice, offered us a free desert instead, but neither of us wanted one. But I definitely expected more than this. To top it all, once we asked for the bill, the waiter literally stood over us while we dug our wallets out. Considering he couldn’t have been less interested for the rest of the time, this just added insult to injury. My new office is near there. I won’t be returning.

AmyM

12 October 2017
Food & Drink 3
Service 2.5
Atmosphere 4
Value 3.5
If you go with low expectations, you won't be disappointed.
I have eaten at one or two other branches of Iberica, but admittedly not for a few years and had always enjoyed the meals. As Victoria is now such a hive of activity with new developments and restaurants correspondingly popping up, I was expecting a much better experience. On a Wednesday night there was steady trade, but certainly not a frenzy of diners that would “slam” the kitchen or the wait staff. As we were seated, I tried to ask a waiter for water, who was at the next table and he was completely oblivious. So much so that the table he had just served burst out laughing at my apparent invisibility. After much waving, I eventually managed to attract attention from another. My companion had popped to the loo and so for some reason, the waiter only poured one glass. And the farce started again to get a second glass when my friend returned. Suffice to say this continued throughout the meal. They have a veritable army of staff and there is no excuse for this lack of attention. The food itself is ok. We ordered garlic prawns with fideos which was a bit greasy and overdone on the chillies, as the prawns were completely overpowered and rendered flavourless in themselves. The “Half & Half” cheese and charcuterie board is incredibly underwhelming with several different types of salamis, indiscernible from one another, apart from the obligatory chorizo and 3 tiny slices of cheese. Considering that they have soft sheep cheese, a blue and several different hard cheeses to choose from I was uncomprehending as to why they gave us a very mean portion of almost identical choices. Finally, I don’t think that I am the only person to go to a tapas place and look forward to a tortilla. The staple of Spanish cooking. We ordered it. It didn’t arrive. I called my ethereal waiter to ask where it was as we had had all of our other dishes and he then promptly sent the manager over, who told me (at 2030 on a Wednesday) that they had run out of “the mix”. I looked at him quizzically and asked for clarification as I am reasonably certain that it is just fried, potatoes, onions and eggs. Yes, he agreed. There was no more mix. Now I know that I wasn’t in the ever exquisite Barrafina with their superlative, gooey and delicious tortilla, but I would expect a chef to be able to accomplish a simple version with fresh ingredients. When pressed, I asked the manager if it was powdered or frozen and he changed his mind and said that he had run out of eggs! Are you serious? He was very nice, offered us a free desert instead, but neither of us wanted one. But I definitely expected more than this. To top it all, once we asked for the bill, the waiter literally stood over us while we dug our wallets out. Considering he couldn’t have been less interested for the rest of the time, this just added insult to injury. My new office is near there. I won’t be returning.

Andrew D

Service 2
Atmosphere 3
Value 3
Good food poor service
Good authentic Spanish food, slightly on the pricey side. Amateur service - we wondered if it was our waiter's first day.

Call Iberica Victoria to make a booking on: