Gilbey’s Eton

Modern European, Wine Bars

SquareMeal Review of Gilbey’s Eton

Famous in the 1970s as the Eton Wine Bar (one of the first of its kind outside London), Gilbey’s is enviably located close to the Thames, midway between historic Eton College and Windsor Castle. Over the years it has upped its game on the food front and now delivers bistro-style food with a noticeable French slant. Relax in the conservatory restaurant or the intimate courtyard garden and enjoy lively dishes ranging from quail, woodpigeon and pistachio roulade with red onion marmalade to Scottish venison ‘three ways’ with spiced red cabbage, celeriac purée and girolles or honey-glazed pork belly with sweet potato boulangère, spinach and blackberry gel. For afters, splurge out on baked almond frangipane with sticky plums and vanilla custard. The family owners also import “delicious” French wines, so expect plenty of decent stuff on their carefully chosen list. Upstairs, a ‘studio suite’ awaits for those who want to stay over. “Our go-to restaurant if we're having a treat”, concludes one fan.

Good to know about Gilbey’s Eton

2 courses: £15

From: 4 April, 2019
To: 30 June, 2019
Max: 6
Enjoy 2 courses £15, 3 courses £20 from the lunch time set menu.
Availability: Tue-Fri 12:00PM-2:45PM,Sat 12:00PM-3:00PM

Location for Gilbey’s Eton

82-83 High Street, Eton, SL4 6AF

Opening Times of Gilbey’s Eton

Mon-Sun 12N-2.30pm, 6-9.30pm (Fri-Sat -10)

Reviews of Gilbey’s Eton

David H

Middling.
17 December 2018
A revisit after a couple of years showed that , for once, I got it right first time. To be honest my expectations are not high here- but once in a while its the right choice from a convenience perspective- in other words eating here is driven by circumstances rather than an expectation of great cooking. The place looks OK; service is fine, but the food is IMO more complicated than the ability of the people cooking it can support. They do have a couple of dishes that my wife (who eats here a little more than I do) rates highly such as their cottage pie, but it isn't on the menu when I go. Two courses from the set menu, a bottle from the low end of the list (where there's little under £30) a shared side ( no potatoes included with the main) , £5 for 4 half slices of pretty ordinary bread) and coffee cost almost £100. The meal was not awful, but it wasn't worth £100.

David H

A bit mundane , and not inexpensive if you choose a la carte
12 June 2016
We've been eating here since it was the "Eton Wine Bar" in the 1970's and preferred it then. It was sort of place where you went for a decent bottle and some fairly fast and good value food on those nights when cooking a meal after getting back from work just seemed too much. We went a lot. Later it became a conspiracy centre for me whilst planning my departure from my global employer and teaming up with a new consultancy. Now it has no role. Its just another restaurant and a middling one at that. Berkshire has plenty of such restaurants and surprisingly few better than that without being cripplingly expensive. We went today because we were confined to a local lunch instead of our usual trek into London . To be frank there wasn't much on the menu that excited me and ignoring my wife's maxim ( if you can't eat well then eat cheap) I opted for an a la carte meal of ham hock roulade followed by an onglet steak with triple cooked fries. With a one large, one small glass of wine and a coffee the bill for me alone was £50 plus service. My wife, choosing the set lunch had a meal that seemed to find enjoyable if not exciting. For me nothing I ate was terribly tasty. It wasn't unpalatable or bad, just a bit bland and unexciting, and I look for more than that when eating in a restaurant. Even the fries - an infrequent guilty pleasure for me, were dull and didn't taste like fries at all. The wine , from a list that I considered rather expensive, was no different. and indeed the glass of Gigondas I had to start was surpassed by my second- the cheapest on the list. The service was pleasant and timely throughout. No problems there. Go back? well we're local so I won't say never, though I'd be hoping for a new approach or a change of chef when I did. Alternatively maybe I'll persuade my wife to join me at the "Golden Curry" up the road - another establishment that used to carry a very clear role and some interesting memories. I wish Gilbey's was still the Eton Wine Bar: it wouldn't raise my hopes or give a feeling that I was paying a lot for middling fare .

Other restaurants near Gilbey’s Eton

You are requesting to book Gilbey’s Eton for people on at