Fischer's

Austrian·

COVID-19 Update for Fischer's

Updated on 29 Jun 2020

Please click on the link below for the full Covid-19 Customer Notice.

Read more on their website

SquareMeal Review of Fischer's

Oh, Vienna: Corbin and King’s grand café has one misty-eyed for the city of cafés and giant schnitzels without ever leaving Marylebone. It’s not so much the food, though that’s a cold-weather dream: neat rye sourdough brötchen lined with beetroot and herring, followed by braised beef tafelspitz or pan-fried duck liver with grapes and redcurrants piled onto crisp rösti. It’s more the cumulative effect of the smart staff, low lights, leather accents, copious taxidermy and gorgeous views. This is a comfortable, well-padded kind of seduction, complete with cake plates brought to the table for you to choose from (go for the classic Sachertorte), and silver coupes filled with nutty ice cream. Mid-European wines are a feature, but so is coffee and a biscuit. We love it, although one disappointed punter thinks that Fischer’s needs to “up its game”, with the Ivy Café now grabbing headlines (and customers) on Marylebone High Street.

Austrian

Reviews of Fischer's

Amir G

Dreadful Service
25 October 2019

I am not sure what happened to one of London's safest bets.  But after dining there more than a 100 times, i had one of the worst service experiences imaginable.  Slow, insulting, forgetful and cranky.  And yet -- no apology, and insisted on adding service charge when asked not too.  And charged for things we didnt order.  And got our order wrong.  Oh well.  I guess times are tough.

Amir G

Dreadful Service
25 October 2019

Werner B

Great Austrian Restaurant
07 May 2019   - Verified Diner

This was a birthday dinner for our daughter and since I was born in Austria, we thought it would be a really nice place to try out. We were about 30 minutes early for our reservation, but they didn’t fuss and seated us straight away. The service was spot on with just the right amount of attention. Wiener Schnitzels are normally not served with a jus, but I’ve had that in other restaurants in Germany and since it was served in a little jug, you could just help yourself or not. It was actually very nice. Apple strudel was also quite nice, although I must say, I do a better version of it.

A very enjoyable evening was had by all.

Bernard S

Average - nowhere near as good as its siblings
21 September 2016
We were in Marylebone High St, and are great fans of the Delaunay, so thought we would give its "little sister" a try. We were quite disappointed. We didn't find the food or the service up to nearly the same standards.

Piglet

Not as good as before
25 January 2016
We had brunch here yesterday (which I have always preferred to the lunch and evening menus), but something was different this time. I had my "usual" - crispy bacon and fried egg roll and my husband had the rosti, black pudding and poached egg (with a side of bacon). Now considering it very clearly states "crispy" bacon, you would expect that but for some reason half of the bacon in the roll was crispy and the rest was barely cooked, same for the side of bacon that my husband ordered. Also, the rosti was so overcooked it was just one large crisp which shattered into pieces upon impact with a fork. Disappointing as I have always loved their breakfasts. Also service was pretty slow and we had to ask 3 times for a jug of tap water, despite the restaurant being half empty. We walked away not convinced that we would return. I think the new Ivy restaurant at the end of the high street has stolen a few customers and for now, I can see why, they need to up their game.

Mr&Mrs B

Fab place would recommend to everyone.
18 June 2015
We are going for the second time taking our good friends. Love the place.

Anthony R

Prussian chic
02 May 2015
We stumbled on this restaurant quite by chance. 5 minutes late for breakfast, the haughty welcome girl gave us the cold "you're not really our type of guest" look - water off a duck's back! The waitress was extremely nice and friendly though - east european so fitted in marvellously. The ambience is very Prussian, wood panelling, loads of photos everywhere. Very fin de siecle. The herring was to die for and the bread was fantastic, sausages and sauerkraut was really authentic as was the potato salad and the desserts were really fab. We had hazelnut and chocolate pudding washed down with great beer on tap. Not sure about the big clock there, nor the snooty attitude, but if you want to spend some serious money for an old world Austrian experience, this place will do it for you.

Frank C

Schnitzler in Marylebone
28 March 2015
Those of romantic nature may now leap back a hundred years and spend an hour or two in Schnitzler's Vienna. Corbin & King, who have brought us The Wolseley, The Delaunay and others have now opened Fischer's in Marylebone High Street and, although the interiors are totally new they are convincingly Viennese. Dress up or at least dress eccentrically as the punters, even on a Friday lunchtime, seemed keen to be part of the atmosphere. As with its sister restaurants, it is in the high quality of the ingredients in which Fischer's excels The hake was straight out of the sea and beautifully seasoned. The broccoli was perfectly cooked and full of flavour. Unlike some of its kin (one thinks of Cafe Colbert in Sloane Square), service is efficient but not rushed. It is, in fact, impeccable. We had lunch with coffee in under an hour. Desserts are, of course, derived from old Vienna. These are less successful. The Sacher torte was a rich chocolate cake that was only vaguely reminiscent of the original. The Esterhazy lacks flavour and is nothing more than a mass produced custard millefeuille with an extra layer or two. The chocolate and Grand Marnier Dobos was far more inspired but again was rather lacking in flavour. The coffee was watery and far from robust. FIscher's may evoke gentle days of gracious hostesses thanked with bread-and-butter notes, but please note that you should avoid the bread and butter. The bread is a bland brown affair with the taste of old cardboard. The butter is a whipped concoction with paprika that was truly foul. It reminded me of the nasty and lardy sandwich fillings we used to be given when attending children's parties given by careless parents. I strongly recommend that Fischer's repents quickly from this terrible error of judgement and moves on. This is a very pleasant restaurant with a charming atmosphere, excellent service and delicious main courses. It has minor flaws that are easily corrected. Oddly, they arise in the areas in which Vienna greatly excels: pastries, coffee and bread and butter. If Fischer's manages to correct these Danubian staples, which should be easy enough, it will merit even greater applause from its already full house.

Patrick B

Full Marks
24 October 2014
Corbin and King's empire is firing on all cylinders at Fischer's. On the quieter top, Regent's Park end of Marylebone High Street, Fischer's seems closely related to the Delaunay from the same stable of restaurants. For those who know the Delaunay, Fischers is quite similar in its menu architecture which remains silightly complex, but a much more intimate space slighly more serious and slighly less glamourous space. However, the food is extremely reliable and there is a nice buzz, especially at dinner. During the daytime the dark woods and green marble deco can be a bit gloomy but there is more natural light than is apparent form the street as the space has a large skylight at the rear.

Alex G

01 August 2014
Most regular London restaurant goers would probably not include central European food in either their list of favourite or trendy cuisines. Yet, there is a quiet revolution going on, and one that is potentially only going to get louder with the recent opening of Fischer’s. One of my two dining comrades on this visit had also accompanied me to Boopshi’s last year, and while we enjoyed this experience, Fischer’s is in a different league. Indeed, after their success with the perennially popular Wolseley, one would expect Meseers Corbin and King to have thought carefully before deciding to embark on their opening of this project. Siting the restaurant at the northern end of Marylebone High Street may have been a masterstroke, a busy enough location to attract footfall from both local office workers and well-heeled shoppers as well as being not too inconvenient for the older European burghers resident in nearby north London, for whom such a restaurant should logically appeal, On the lunchtime when our group of three visited, the place seemed lively and populated by a diverse crowd of diners. Service was friendly and efficient and the atmosphere considerably better than in the over-rated Cotide which formerly occupied these premises. Fischer’s is explicitly modelled on a Viennese café and the attention to detail is faultless, with wood panelling, pictures and lighting all reminiscent of such a location. The large clock which dominates the central dining area is, however, a somewhat unnecessary addition: when I go to a restaurant, I don’t want to be constantly reminded of the time; quite the opposite, if it is a good one. A small quibble though, and tables towards the front are not so affected. Onto the food, and in true Austrian format, there is a range of dishes through from savoury snacks to indulgent puddings via hearty mains. Our group sampled a broad selection. My smoked herring starter was simple yet effective, and presented beautifully. The sausage option (diners can choose any two from a list of six) was enhanced by juicy sauerkraut and some of the best caramelised onion I have sampled anywhere. One of my comrades also highly rated his much healthier grilled sea trout main, praising its lightness, freshness and intensity of flavour. The wine also pleased, an Austrian Riesling chosen from a well thought-through list of mainly central European options. The other bonus, all this is available at keen prices: the sausage selection (with potato salad and sauerkraut) comes in at just £11, mains are mostly less than £20 and puddings average at about £6. Come here, sit back, relax and enjoy, be it either for food or for coffee and cake (the latter looked mouth-watering, but was not sampled on this occasion). Just don’t look at the large clock…

Other restaurants near Fischer's

You are requesting to book Fischer's for people on at .