Brigade

British

About Brigade

Located in Tooley Street’s imposing former fire station, this ‘buzzy’, glass-fronted outfit does its bit for social responsibility while giving the local chains a run for their money. Head chef and founder Simon Boyle is a ’truly inspirational character’ who set up Brigade in tandem with the charitable Beyond Food Foundation – offering vulnerable people six-month catering apprenticeships and ‘the tools for a brighter future’. The results of their labours might be restaurant-quality dishes ranging from Scotch egg and potted pork belly with apple chutney (‘worth a visit alone’) to John Dory with herb-crusted clams, salsify and caper butter. With its orderly open kitchen, exposed brickwork, huge embossed lampshades and flashy cocktails at the bar, Brigade certainly knows how to lure in swarms of London Bridge suits. There’s also a new wine club for purchases and tastings.

Good to know about Brigade

Reviews of Brigade

Ms/Mrs. Julia B

Absolutely Dreadful
26 August 2016
I organise a monthly ladies lunch and this month we picked the Brigade. I booked a table for 8 of us well in advance but upon arrival we were shown through an almost empty restaurant to a side room. Great if you are conducting a business meeting but severely lacking in atmosphere for a group of ladies wanting to make the most of escaping from the office for an hour. Our order was taken but 45 minutes passed and still no food had been delivered to the lonely side room where we had been seated. I entered the main restaurant to investigate only to see that a number of the table that were empty upon our arrival were now occupied and had been served their meals. I enquired as to how long our food would be and was told 5 minutes. 10 minutes passed and still no food so as our lunch hour had now expired we were forced to leave the restaurant hungry and extremely disappointed. For the prices they charge we expected a much higher level of service and so definitely will not be returning in a hurry.

Ms/Mrs. Kate P

Great spot for a business meeting
07 June 2016
Great location and food and service was good as always.

Brigade Fish and Chips on Friday 13th November
16 November 2015
Had Fish and Chips with a friend on Friday 13th November, despite the date the dining experience was not superstitious! We had a two for one voucher which made this excellent value for money. The Fish was fresh and cooked to perfection with crispy light batter, the chips were proper fish and chip shop chips, and mushy peas and tartare sauce a delight. Overall the meal was flavoursome. We were seated quickly at our table and waiters/waitresses attended to us as soon as we made the request. Pleasant and quick service. Would strongly recommend this venue and plan on attending again in the future.

Ms/Mrs. Jackie J

17 May 2014
We chose his restaurant because of its convenient location near to London Bridge station and the attractive menu. As a bonus, there was a special offer with 33% off food – which applied to starters and main courses. This made it an affordable evening as well as a pleasant dining experience. The restaurant got quite busy, but we could still hear ourselves speak (which is sometimes difficult in lively places). We particularly enjoyed the modern take on standard food – fiery sausages, mutton shepherd's pie etc. Service was fine although very slow to bring us the bill at the end when one of us had a train to catch – even though we asked in good time. Otherwise, especially with the generous discount via Square Meal, we thought this was a great place and will come back.

Mr. Frank N

20 April 2014
My wife and I rendezvoused with a couple of good friends, Joanne and Angelo, at Brigade, on Saturday April 19th. I have to say that as the venue was left for me to pick, the 2 for 1 offer played a major part in my choice. The seafood cocktail starter was very tasty, topped with crab meat. My lamb main was very enjoyable, but although well worth the price, was not too big, and with hindsight, a side order would have been a good idea, my wife conversely thought that her fish and chips was quite large, no doubt that was why she passed on dessert. Angelo enthused about his Shepherd Pie, and Joanne felt the same about her meal too, I think that it was salmon salad, but I could be wrong. All in all an enjoyable dinner, in good company, I would not hesitate to recommend Brigade, not least for the beautiful, and very efficient waitresses.

Ms/Mrs. Sarah H

11 March 2014
Lunch at Brigade the week before National Apprentice Week was fantastic and it really bought home the wonderful work they do there as a social enterprise and with the Beyond Food charity. We visited on a packed lunchtime and tucked into what is a fairly new menu offering dishes from Simon Boyle's new book, Recipes for Life. The breads and Netherend butter to start with were superb, and the cooking is accomplished and tasty. The staff are a huge credit to Brigade and the service was lovely. Highly recommended.

01 January 0001

Ms/Mrs. Tomi I

22 November 2013
The service and the food was great! Love eating at Brigade, as it's very close to my office and staff are always really nice and they know their food and wine combos.

Mr. Peter R

Not so good as it sounds
01 October 2013
Generally disappointing. The food, especially, didn't live up to expectations. I had the “Baked British Seafood” which sounded exciting but in fact was a single scallop. It was OK but I was expecting more of a medley of different seafoods. For main course I had the Lobster & Salmon Ravioli. But when it arrived it was a single, giant raviola. Again, it was OK but nothing special. The side order of deep fried broccoli was foul – just a load of batter with a squidgy mess of decomposing broccoli lurking somewhere inside the carapace. Dessert was Bakewell Tart – abiding impression was that it was very dry. The bistro is also very noisy – almost impossible to hold a conversation. Won't be going again.

Neil B

25 July 2013
Food beautifully presented and very tasty. Some wines a litle overpriced but generally a great experience.

Other restaurants near Brigade

You are requesting to book Brigade for people on at